Speaker stands

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Charles Jenkinson

Re: Speaker stands

#16 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Bruce Weldy wrote:.

It's amazing how many soundmen are out there just trying to pick up a check and have no pride in their work.
OMG. I've lost impetus on my project, but you've just spurred me on. Thanks.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

NukePooch

#17 Post by NukePooch »

Bruce Weldy wrote: After getting setup and the audience was coming in, I put on some music in the background. The emcee for the night had a surprised look on her face and said they'd never had music before the show or at the break......the same guy had been doing sound for this show for the last 18 years and had never played any music - nor had he ever done any kind of sound check.

It's amazing how many soundmen are out there just trying to pick up a check and have no pride in their work.

Oh, wow..I hear that too. Must have the same sound guys in TX as I do here in KY... I know a guy who DJ's dances and the like, well known in the area, has a decent song selection on his laptop...but all the songs are wildly different volumes. Nothing gets the crowd moving like going from 'Baby Got Back' @ 105db to 'My Girl' @ 95ish :roll: ...and he doesn't adjust it! ...And he still gets gigs!

I also get a lot of "...instrumental jazz? That sounds great! We've never had dinner music like that before..." Makes me think that a lot of guys are playing Skynyrd for dinner music @ black tie functions...LOL.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

Bruce Weldy

#18 Post by Bruce Weldy »

NukePooch wrote: I also get a lot of "...instrumental jazz? That sounds great! We've never had dinner music like that before..." Makes me think that a lot of guys are playing Skynyrd for dinner music @ black tie functions...LOL.
The best stuff that I like for dinner music is Acoustic Alchemy....great background music. It's what I put on when I read.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

NukePooch

#19 Post by NukePooch »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
NukePooch wrote: I also get a lot of "...instrumental jazz? That sounds great! We've never had dinner music like that before..." Makes me think that a lot of guys are playing Skynyrd for dinner music @ black tie functions...LOL.
The best stuff that I like for dinner music is Acoustic Alchemy....great background music. It's what I put on when I read.....
Yeah, I like them too. I worked crew for one of their shows back sometime in the 90's...not that I actually met them or anything.
I often run Tal Farlow 'The Swinging Guitar' for dinner music... Also, Brian Bromberg's 'Wood II'. And Mark Whitfield. Etc, etc.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

Bruce Weldy

#20 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Well, I just did my third monthly show that I built these stands for.....or, for which I built these stands (don't want my Senior English teacher rising from the dead to chastise me).

They've worked great and fold up nice to stack in the trailer.

They are spread really wide so I turn 'em in. Coverage is good. Old people are happy. Checks don't bounce. All in all, a good gig. Had the trailer packed 37 minutes after the show finished. Would have been faster, but had to work around 7 musicians and all the guest stars hanging around.
IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."