Volt meters.

Anything not covered elsewhere.
BassheadUK

Volt meters.

#1 Post by BassheadUK »

I've done a search but couldn't see any subjects on this, probably because they are known as voltmeters, dvm, dmm etc... So please forgive me if it has been covered

I'm thinking, panel mount volt meter, (one per channel) fitted into a plate, on the front of my amp rack, to show at a glance what voltage is being used at a given time

There are counters on auction sites from Hong-Kong for about £7.00 delivered to the UK, however i'm going to look at anywhere in the UK for one. These have 4 terminals for 230v AC in and the voltage in

Has it been done?
I plan to build a couple of DR250's & Autotuba.
WARNING - LAB12 T39's are EXCELLENT

Hackomatic

Re: Volt meters.

#2 Post by Hackomatic »

Are you thinking of doing this as a way to monitor voltages in order to protect your speakers? One of the problems I foresee is that the meter's response time will be so pitifully slow that transient over voltages will have happened long before you get a meter indication of such . . if at all. OTOH, if you have your brick wall limiter setup properly, you may, over time, get a "feel" for a good average range to operate your system based on the visuals. . . Just my opinion.
Dave H

morticiaskeeper

#3 Post by morticiaskeeper »

An interesting idea. I've just had a quick look online and found a few meters, but most seem to be powered from the measured voltage, which would be problematic . Even if it had enough smoothing to work, I'm not sure what it would do to the amp or sound. Having a small meter on the back of each cab would be nice.

Keep us informed on what you find.

escapemcp

#4 Post by escapemcp »

I was thinking of doing the same thing... I was going to use these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350809740588? ... 1423.l2649:
The speed of sampling of the meter was my primary concern and I figured it wouldn't be much use. This version has the separate voltage input and I already have an old PC power supply in my rack, so getting the DC to it would be easy. ATM I use the PSU for powering my MP3 recorder (5V) and for my LED lighting @12V (I've got a strip that is attached to the inside top of my rack for illumination, as well as my DJ facade). Having 3.3V/5V/12V inside your rack can be very handy... eliminates having to use 'wall warts'. A quick derail though - can I use the 3.3V (for ground) and 12V (for +ve) lines combined to make 9V or would this cause problems?

BassheadUK

#5 Post by BassheadUK »

I use a DCX as a brick wall but would be interesting to see how much more oomph there is in reserve before flat out. Last night I would have loved to have seen a mere 20v knowing it's shaking the hotel about and I can double that voltage.

I'm not too clued up on computer PSU's so can't comment on that.

I was thinking of these .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251279505278

They have 2 terminals for mains in to run the display and two for measurement.

These are educational devices really and never designed to replace a limiter.

For the sake of the money might order two and give it a bash. I can get 2u blanks cheap so no issues cutting it out and throwing it away if it's rubbish.

Hackomatic

#6 Post by Hackomatic »

BassheadUK wrote: I was thinking of these .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251279505278
Those do require a 220vac supply to operate . . which I assume is standard ac power in the UK?
Dave H

BassheadUK

#7 Post by BassheadUK »

That's correct yeah.

Would be easy for me to spur off my Neutrik powercon (when I get around to fitting it) to supply it

morticiaskeeper

#8 Post by morticiaskeeper »

A row of those in a rack would allow you to monitor each cab, very useful with multiple muso's plugging in to your system.

Let us know how they go.

escapemcp

#9 Post by escapemcp »

The voltmeter compact range AC 0-599V, the need for additional auxiliary power. Supply voltage AC220V. With regulator. Display with bright 0.56" LED digital tube display is stunning. Automatic SMD manufacturing process, and technology skills.
:loler: :loler: I suppose it's better than my Chinese though!

BassheadUK

#10 Post by BassheadUK »

escapemcp wrote: I suppose it's better than my Chinese though!
Flyed lice

Its FRIED RICE YOU PLICK.....

5 points if you recognise the line from the film :)

morticiaskeeper

#11 Post by morticiaskeeper »

Lethal Weapon 4.

Basic concept of the gag stolen from Eric Idle in Month Python :-)

byacey

#12 Post by byacey »

Aside from monitoring your incoming AC line voltage, these meters would be useless for pretty much anything else. You could use them to set your limiters up with a steady sine wave signal, but this isn't something that needs to be done on a regular basis, and a hand-held digital meter would probably still work better.

More useful would be a simple limiter threshold lamp, easily made with a resistor, a zener diode, electrolytic capacitor and an LED.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

BassheadUK

#13 Post by BassheadUK »

I just fancy something in the rack that would give an indication to show that all this bass is using say 12v is 1/4 of its power so you know that you've still got 3/4 in reserve etc. When plaster starts falling off the walls at 25v you know that its just half power and you can still go a lot more!

ncgrove

#14 Post by ncgrove »

An analog volt meter might give you a good ballpark idea of where you're at.

byacey

#15 Post by byacey »

The difference between 25 V and 50V is 6db difference, or 1/4 vs full power. Not what I would call lots more, but some headroom.

Even an analog volt meter won't show a whole lot of meaningful information, as it only indicates an average with program material. Put a different scale on the front and you have a VU meter.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212