Tang Band W6-1139SI

Anything not covered elsewhere.
gilscales

Tang Band W6-1139SI

#1 Post by gilscales »

Could not help but wonder if a smaller than TT but also sub 30hz horn could be built using a robust 6.5" driver like this new Tang Band?

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w6-1139si.htm
Built; T18, 2 x J110 2510II MA

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Tang Band W6-1139SI

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Extension of a horn is based on the length of the horn, not the driver within. A smaller driver might result in a smaller rear chamber, but that's all.
This TB models well in the T18, AT and TT, especially when used in pairs. But that puts you at $120 or so per cab. One eight is more cost effective.

SeisTres

#3 Post by SeisTres »

Hooray for brace-less 8" wide Table tubas!!!

(however, I'll keep my 12" TT with the mcm ;) )
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

sub~harmonix

#4 Post by sub~harmonix »

Bump from the dead:

I already have 2 of these drivers sitting in my closet. Would it be worth it to give them a shot, or should I just sell them to buy a different driver?

They were a gift and I'd feel a little bad if I didn't at least try them out. On the other hand, the price of these things has more than doubled since I got them so even though I'd still loose a little bit of $ on the sale, I could probably get enough to buy 2 more well suited drivers if these are really aren't that great.

Next question:

Are any modifications necessary to make these work that aren't in the plans I'm about to buy?

Gregory East

#5 Post by Gregory East »

Bill said it models well, that's pretty much the gold seal of approval to go ahead. You might check they fit ok first but I would think Bill probably checked that anyway.

I like the idea of putting the gifted drivers to work, not that you want to encourage such gifting. 99/100 the driver "on hand" is a dud for anything BFM, you got very lucky. Just nice to show the giver what became.

Drey Chennells

#6 Post by Drey Chennells »

Gregory East wrote:Bill said it models well, that's pretty much the gold seal of approval to go ahead. You might check they fit ok first but I would think Bill probably checked that anyway.

I like the idea of putting the gifted drivers to work, not that you want to encourage such gifting. 99/100 the driver "on hand" is a dud for anything BFM, you got very lucky. Just nice to show the giver what became.
+1 :chainsaw:
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

ACUA

#7 Post by ACUA »

Bump old post, I am building a computer system using Dayton Audio MCA2250E 2.1 Channel Class D Plate Amplifier for power, I have a spare Tang Band W6-1139SI driver and would love to use it in a horn for the low end. based upon this thread i really want to do it. I am thinking the T18 would be the best option unless any of you see a benefit to AT or TT horns, I will be purchasing plans in a few days depending on what sort of comments i get here. Has anyone put the W6 driver in a horn? any specific advice? do the plans talk at all about using a 6.5" driver for T18 or AT, what cab width would you suggest for best results?

Thank you for your concerns and comments i appreciate your opinion and expertise!!!
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You may use it in any of those designs, but it won't have the maximum output of an eight due to less Vd.

ACUA

#9 Post by ACUA »

I ordered the plans for the T18 horn, I look forward to using a driver that i have been sitting on for a while. I have used the above mentioned dayton audio plate amplifier before in a small build that i did a few years ago, for that build i placed a Dayton Audio DS270-8 10" Designer Series Woofer Speaker in a 1cuft sealed enclosure made of 3/4"mdf. the sound is good i will not say great and the output is ok if its corner loaded. I did not work hard to design an efficient cab for that build and the results reflected, I am hoping that on the same 50w that my 6.5" tangband driver in a narrow T18 cab should out preform the sealed direct radiator setup. the problem with the above mentioned plate amplifier is that the main stereo outputs have a high pass of 150hz, the sub has to cover a little mid bass to maintain desirable hz coverage. we will see what happens, if no one minds i will keep a simple log on this existing thread about my going ons since its on topic and all.

Chris_Allen

#10 Post by Chris_Allen »

Out of all the horn subs I've built, the T18 is my favourite (and the one with the least output!)

I would start your own build thread - people tend to chime in more and provide advice and opinion.

If you want to use the plate amp, stick it in it's own box.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

ACUA

#11 Post by ACUA »

I just figured i would post my results using the tang band 6.5" driver here to not further clutter the channel, maybe a picture or two of the finished project is all, i plan to build the cabinet in such a way as to include a separate chamber to house the plate amp so as to maintain a simple setup.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

ACUA wrote:i plan to build the cabinet in such a way as to include a separate chamber to house the plate amp so as to maintain a simple setup.
:cop:
Mounting the amp on the speaker is a bad idea. The amp should be in its own case placed as close as possible to the rest of the electronics plugged into the same outlet. Remote placement leads to ground loop noise.