How do I reduce feedback

Anything not covered elsewhere.
y2kindyz

How do I reduce feedback

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

Ok guys,
I am trying to help my wife in her Zumba class that she teaches for the ladies at Church. I have a GTD Audio Wireless 788H with a Wireless transmitter pack. I am using a Behringer 1002B mixer and a drive rack PX, Going to a Crown 1002XTi amp. Music is from an iPad via 1/8" to RCA input.

The venue is a full size gym, Speakers are located central under basket at one end of the court. She is usually about 20-25 feet away from speakers. The Problem I am having is that the signal seems to clip randomly. When she is out in front of the class she is facing the speakers. As she speaks thru the mic it works ok but all of the sudden it begins to feedback. The music is not that loud, compared to some karaoke venues I have been to. Is there a way to test the the the inputs?

I have noticed at times that I get a signal clip on the mixer when I wiggle the XLR connector and also when using the TRS 1/4" inputs. Is it possible I have a loose connection or solder?

Any Tips are greatly appreciated,

Oscar

Bruce Weldy

Re: How do I reduce feedback

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

y2kindyz wrote:Ok guys,
I am trying to help my wife in her Zumba class that she teaches for the ladies at Church. I have a GTD Audio Wireless 788H with a Wireless transmitter pack.

Is she using an ear-worn or head worn mic? If so, it's possible (probable) that it is omni-directional. That's a recipe for disaster. Get a mic with a cardioid capsule.

The venue is a full size gym, Speakers are located central under basket at one end of the court. She is usually about 20-25 feet away from speakers. The Problem I am having is that the signal seems to clip randomly.
Clipping and feedback are two different issues.
When she is out in front of the class she is facing the speakers. As she speaks thru the mic it works ok but all of the sudden it begins to feedback.

If you aren't using the AFS (feedback suppressor) on the Driverack - you should.
The music is not that loud, compared to some karaoke venues I have been to. Is there a way to test the the the inputs?

Volume of the music has no bearing on the feedback.

I have noticed at times that I get a signal clip on the mixer when I wiggle the XLR connector and also when using the TRS 1/4" inputs. Is it possible I have a loose connection or solder?

Yes! You do. Try a different cable. Get some DeOxit 5 and shoot all of the connectors. It could be the cable or the connector....most likely the cable.

r

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

BrentEvans

#3 Post by BrentEvans »

The GTD pack is likely the problem. The mini-xlr connectors on those develop problems quickly, and the microphones are really cheesy. They are definently not as good as the GTD handhelds. You should see a big improvement in both signal and build quality and gain before feedback with even an entry level headset system from a major brand... something like the AT system 10 with s Pro8 headset is $250 and has a better connector (hirose instead of mini-xlr) and a cardioid headset.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

David Raehn

#4 Post by David Raehn »

I like Countryman.....

Not the music, mind you, but the manufacturer. :D
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

NukePooch

#5 Post by NukePooch »

BrentEvans wrote:The GTD pack is likely the problem. The mini-xlr connectors on those develop problems quickly, and the microphones are really cheesy. They are definently not as good as the GTD handhelds. You should see a big improvement in both signal and build quality and gain before feedback with even an entry level headset system from a major brand... something like the AT system 10 with s Pro8 headset is $250 and has a better connector (hirose instead of mini-xlr) and a cardioid headset.

+800
I hate the GTD headsets and lav mics with a passion. Handhelds are ok for the price.

To add to what Bruce said, make sure you test/clean the mic to wireless pack cable as well (if it's not a handheld)...
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

y2kindyz

#6 Post by y2kindyz »

Thank you for the input and suggestions. I purchased a Shure https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IV ... UTF8&psc=1 but it had a 4 pin mini xlr and the GTD is a 3 pin. I tried to make an adapter, but could not figure out the wiring. From what I could find the Shure needed 9volt power to work.

So is there a headset with a cardioid condenser mic that will work with the GTD transmitter? I still have the mini xlr 3 and 4 pin connectors to make an adapter, if needed.

I plan on opening up my mixer this weekend to clean and check for loose connections.

Thanks again for all your help,

y2kindyz

#7 Post by y2kindyz »

I did some searching and found these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR ... 88OUHHLZ3F. And https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001 ... PDKIKX0DER

Which do you all think will work better?

scornil01

#8 Post by scornil01 »

i have the same issue as well. But i'm using the GTD 622H Hand Held System http://www.ebay.com/itm/GTD-Audio-2x100 ... SwQItUE4jd.

Plugged into my Behringer DDM400 mixer (but also happens on my Pioneer DJM S9). then using the behringer DCX2496 into my behringer inuke NU4 (Wow i just relized how much behringer im running). these are powering my T39's and SLA pros.

When i am behind the speakers i get the high pitched feedback. even when i am 25 feet in front of the speakers i get the same high pitched feedback. this actually happened right out of the box. when testing i thought i was just too close to my system. when i tried bring it to the gig i had to have the mic volume incredibly low with no reverb. when i plugin my old Nady $20 wireless mic system i dont get the issue at all

i tried removing it from my rack because i thought that where i have it screwed in maybr theres some kind of grounding issue. but even when i place the mic reciever 10 feet behind my dj table/speakers... same feedback

I was ready to try and use my square trade warranty because i thought the system is faulty. then thought to look here to see if anyone had a similar issue. any thoughts guys?

if i have time ill try to make a video tomorrow or this weekend if it will help.

BrentEvans

#9 Post by BrentEvans »

y2kindyz wrote:Thank you for the input and suggestions. I purchased a Shure https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IV ... UTF8&psc=1 but it had a 4 pin mini xlr and the GTD is a 3 pin. I tried to make an adapter, but could not figure out the wiring. From what I could find the Shure needed 9volt power to work.

So is there a headset with a cardioid condenser mic that will work with the GTD transmitter? I still have the mini xlr 3 and 4 pin connectors to make an adapter, if needed.

I plan on opening up my mixer this weekend to clean and check for loose connections.

Thanks again for all your help,
The problem is not just the mic. The jack in the transmitter is part of the problem. They aren't made very well and they get loose fairly quickly. Changing the mic element won't help. Instead of spending the money on the inferior product, get a mic for the shure and ditch the GTD body pack. There's no fixing it and it isn't worth fixing anyway.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

y2kindyz

#10 Post by y2kindyz »

BrentEvans wrote:
The problem is not just the mic. The jack in the transmitter is part of the problem. They aren't made very well and they get loose fairly quickly. Changing the mic element won't help. Instead of spending the money on the inferior product, get a mic for the shure and ditch the GTD body pack. There's no fixing it and it isn't worth fixing anyway.
Is there a Shure transmitter that work with the GTD wireless receiver? It runs on 610 MHz area

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#11 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

scornil01 wrote:i have the same issue as well. But i'm using the GTD 622H Hand Held System http://www.ebay.com/itm/GTD-Audio-2x100 ... SwQItUE4jd.
That entire system with two mics sells for what one good wireless mic does without a receiver. This is one of those examples where you do get what you pay for.
I second the vote for Countryman. That's the preferred mic on Broadway, where failure is not an option. If that's out of your price range at least go with a name brand, like Shure.

BrentEvans

#12 Post by BrentEvans »

y2kindyz wrote:
BrentEvans wrote:
Is there a Shure transmitter that work with the GTD wireless receiver? It runs on 610 MHz area
No. You will need a full system. I thought I had read you already had one.

y2kindyz

#13 Post by y2kindyz »

I purchased the GTD wireless setup few years ago. Handhelds have worked fine. I guess if i want to make wife happy I need to upgrade to something better. I already ordered the Shure 3 pin mic I found I will give that a shot and report back.

Thank you for all your info

y2kindyz

#14 Post by y2kindyz »

Ok guys I think I found my problem. Before the mic came in I decided to test one more time. The GTD receiver has 2 channels. When on one channel, the only one I had tried, with the transmitter on and no mic connected the the signal output meter would move with the music and clip on the mixer. With the music off the meter would move as I tapped on the receiver the output meter would move and clip on the mixer. I tried the other channel and no clipping and the mic worked fine. A little feedback but that was only when close to the to the speakers.

Is there something I can do to check the receiver? What would cause the output signal to move when no mic is connected?

Thanks,

BrentEvans

#15 Post by BrentEvans »

y2kindyz wrote:Ok guys I think I found my problem. Before the mic came in I decided to test one more time. The GTD receiver has 2 channels. When on one channel, the only one I had tried, with the transmitter on and no mic connected the the signal output meter would move with the music and clip on the mixer. With the music off the meter would move as I tapped on the receiver the output meter would move and clip on the mixer. I tried the other channel and no clipping and the mic worked fine. A little feedback but that was only when close to the to the speakers.

Is there something I can do to check the receiver? What would cause the output signal to move when no mic is connected?

Thanks,
Poor build quality. I know you really want these to work but at some point you have to accept that on the scale of quality, these are on the better side of cheap Chinese crap. I have seen both transmitters and receivers from gtd have problems like this. On some of the sets I've had, one transmitter only worked on one side or the other... Just strange stuff that can only be attributed to build quality. Iirc, I was one of the first around here to try gtd stuff way back in 2007 or 2008. We sold a bunch of them and I had several myself, and only a few haven't had problems.