Plug help please!

Anything not covered elsewhere.
88h88

Plug help please!

#1 Post by 88h88 »

My housemate has an old guitar amp he's just dug out of storage and would like to get it fired up to see if it's all in order. Thing is, he's misplaced the mains cable for it. aaaaaaaaaand I'm not sure what I'm looking for to replace it as it's not a standard I've ever seen before.

So this is it, anyone know what it's officially called so I can get one ordered?

Thanks
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

byacey

Re: Plug help please!

#2 Post by byacey »

I can't offer much help other than saying it looks to be indigenous to Europe; I've never seen anything like that in North America. What make of amp is it?
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

88h88

#3 Post by 88h88 »

It is indeed a European thing, it's a HH Combo 212 which is apparently a company from not too far away. I've shot them a message just to see.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

DJPhatman

#4 Post by DJPhatman »

Access the interior to determine which lug is Earth (ground). There might be a schematic inside that will help.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

ketoet

#5 Post by ketoet »

I have never seen that before and i work partime as an electrician.
Wouldn't it be easier to replace te socket with the standard uk version?
That way it's easier to find replacement powercords , those things often
Go missing in my experience.

Greetz ketoet
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

ketoet wrote: Wouldn't it be easier to replace te socket with the standard uk version?
+1.

bjm362

#7 Post by bjm362 »

Just rewiring plugs could be useful...or could fry something very valuable! I have no idea if that product which was manufactured in England uses that plug on British power standard, American power standard or anywhere else in the world. I do know that Laney bought out H&H, though I am not sure what year...somewhere in the 90's I think. If it were mine I would have done some searching with complete model numbers etc. If I were asking someone else to help with that I would have posted complete information so the person trying to help had a chance to succeed. Most likely you are going to have to contact someone at Laney willing to help you get info from the original manual. That material is archived somewhere, if they will let you access it. That document might be available online somewhere but the chances are slim.
One more time though, just switching it over to modern plugs might work perfectly, might work marginally, or might fry it totally. No matter where it was produced it could have been intended for power on another continent even. It is most likely to have been intended for use in GB, but elsewhere isn't unlikely!
The possibilities of its value are pretty vast too. It could be worth scrap value, it could be worth thousands, or anywhere between! Your choice, but I would try checking it out first even if it could be a painstaking process
In order to have a dream come true, you must first dream it!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

bjm362 wrote: One more time though, just switching it over to modern plugs might work perfectly, might work marginally, or might fry it totally.
Anyone qualified to swap it would have no issues getting it right. The amp says right on it what the mains voltage is, and identifying the +/-/ground is a simple matter.

bjm362

#9 Post by bjm362 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
bjm362 wrote: One more time though, just switching it over to modern plugs might work perfectly, might work marginally, or might fry it totally.
Anyone qualified to swap it would have no issues getting it right. The amp says right on it what the mains voltage is, and identifying the +/-/ground is a simple matter.
With all due respect, there is no information in that post or pic that the amp says anything about voltage. The Pic shows that it has the lettering A.C. MA Which is the start of A.C. MAIN. You may actually be correct that that info is on the amp, but thus far I haven't seen that information. I have seen those plugs before though as a child... and as a child I was taught that if I was going to err I should err on the safe side. You may be right that a direct swap will work. Considering the variety of voltages that that could be I still believe proper research should be done first. I am not saying you are wrong, just that I don't see enough info there to draw that conclusion! I hope this doesn't mean you are now going to hate me!
Maybe I am being hard headed here,If so I apologize. In all truth though that is honestly the way I see it. I would feel guilty if I did not share that note of precaution in this situation.

Edit: In that production era plugs like that were used with different cables depending on the destination country. I still remember that. The internals were adapted in order to get correct voltage from the plugs in the destination country.
The point about taking it to a tech though is valid. A tech won't know the correct voltage just by looking at the connector either. but he should be able to look it up if he has access to the correct service manual. That manual isn't likely to be easily available. Being that it isn't known if the amp is working or not what are the chances a tech skips the research, makes the change, and charges you for the change even if he fries the amp. I am also not saying techs are inherently dishonest. I am saying that the only way to be safe is to be sure it is properly researched!

David Raehn

#10 Post by David Raehn »

BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

bjm362

#11 Post by bjm362 »

draehn wrote:Here ya go:

http://www.dadaelectronics.eu/shop/quad ... cable-50cm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-BUL ... 0669467232

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bul ... 7HTqfiPw==

Interwebs is handy sometimes.

Originally made by Bulgin. It is a UK standard.

Cheers.
Note that example one will plug into a US 117VAC receptacle, example 3 is listed with a 250VAC rating.Switch either of those and an amp fries. Those were used both ways and more by manufacturers across the globe in my youth, which also happens to be the era of production of the amp in question. None of you have researched what the amps input voltage is, nor has enough information been provided to do so. Guessing may work, or may spell unnecessary disaster. This is my final comment in this thread. We already knew those plugs were used in the UK...and other places. That was the whole point of my comment about doing the research. That simple plug found its way on multiple continents used with equipment at several voltage standards. This isn't like USB. You can take the right plug, and use the wrong voltage and FRY equipment.

Grant Bunter

#12 Post by Grant Bunter »

bjm362,
It's not guessing when we know the OP's location.

He is in the UK, and they had a 240V/50 cycles supply.

However, to align themselves with the rest of the European Union, the UK are winding down their standard from that mark, and currently sit at 230V. The target will be 220V.

More of a concern perhaps, is; will 220V still run the amp without it getting to hot?

Or, along with the plug, does the power supply need looking at too?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#13 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Grant Bunter wrote: More of a concern perhaps, is; will 220V still run the amp without it getting to hot?
Voltage in the US routinely varies from about 105v to 120v, so 220v shouldn't bother anything originally designed for 240v.

bjm362

#14 Post by bjm362 »

Grant Bunter wrote:bjm362,
It's not guessing when we know the OP's location.

He is in the UK, and they had a 240V/50 cycles supply.

However, to align themselves with the rest of the European Union, the UK are winding down their standard from that mark, and currently sit at 230V. The target will be 220V.

More of a concern perhaps, is; will 220V still run the amp without it getting to hot?

Or, along with the plug, does the power supply need looking at too?
I am glad you found the one thing I was over looking, you already know the location!!!! That changes things pretty dramatically ! Sorry if I created any headaches.