Amplifier advice

Is this amp OK?
MCampeau

Amplifier advice

#1 Post by MCampeau »

Looking for an amplifier selection gut check.

I am in the home stretch of completing 2 T48 234(2’x3’x4’) with 2 3015LF in each Titan. Currently the amp rack is full of Crown amps. The 1 K2 is not enough to run the new Titan’s.

I am thinking that the Crown XLi 3500 is a good choice. I would run the 3015LF in parallel in one Titan into one channel and do the same with the other Titan in the other channel. That would be 900W @ 4Ω and that amp is rated at 1350W @ 4Ω. That would allow me 50% overhead so the amp is not working so hard all the time. If for some reason that turns out to not be short on power, I could get another amp and run all 4 one-to-one. That would be 1000W @ 8Ω with 122% overhead. More than enough. The venue is not a night club, rather a house of worship.

Naturally if there is a better choice I am open to it.

For limiting and crossover I am not really sure which of these will give me the best bang for the buck. Is it the DCX2496 or the Drive Rack PA2?
:feedback:

Bruce Weldy

Re: Amplifier advice

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

The Crown 3500 would be an excellent choice. It's heavy, but it's an install - so that's no problem. That's enough power and should be plenty of output in a church setting.

The driverack is the better option. It does everything the Behringer does, plus all of the EQ functions.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

MCampeau

#3 Post by MCampeau »

Thanks for the input.

Being in northern Indiana about 30 minutes from the Crown plant, I am somewhat partial to Crown.

alexk

#4 Post by alexk »

I second the DriveRack PA2. It's all controlled via an app (windows/android/iOS) and works great. I use mine for crossover, auto eq (sets the system and room to flat), house eq (eq to ear after the auto is done), limiting. Depending on circumstances, I'll sometimes use some subsynth (does NOT go well with spoken voice) and in really challenging situations the feedback eliminator (better off without it if you can)

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

MCampeau wrote:Looking for an amplifier selection gut check.

I am in the home stretch of completing 2 T48 234(2’x3’x4’) with 2 3015LF in each Titan. Currently the amp rack is full of Crown amps. The 1 K2 is not enough to run the new Titan’s.

I am thinking that the Crown XLi 3500 is a good choice. I would run the 3015LF in parallel in one Titan into one channel and do the same with the other Titan in the other channel. That would be 900W @ 4Ω and that amp is rated at 1350W @ 4Ω. That would allow me 50% overhead so the amp is not working so hard all the time. If for some reason that turns out to not be short on power, I could get another amp and run all 4 one-to-one. That would be 1000W @ 8Ω with 122% overhead. More than enough. The venue is not a night club, rather a house of worship.

Naturally if there is a better choice I am open to it.

For limiting and crossover I am not really sure which of these will give me the best bang for the buck. Is it the DCX2496 or the Drive Rack PA2?
:feedback:
Driveracks are better bang for buck.

That XLI 3500 amp sounds fine, it will leave around 12V up your sleeve as headroom, and that's not to big an ask in terms of limiting...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...