Crown amps with issues

Is this amp OK?
Windmill

Crown amps with issues

#1 Post by Windmill »

So recently I met with a restaurant owner who just bought a place and is renovating it. They are selling off the old pa equipment that came with the place.

1 xti 2000
2 xti 4000
and a Machro Tech
and eaw speakers

I was interested in one of the 2000's for my 2 t39s. On close scrutiny it appeared that all three of the xti's had been used in an unorthodox way; the power buttons had all gone missing so someone unscrewed the right side of the front panels, removed the right finger hold thingy and this made it so you could pry forward the front panel and reach inside to press the inner power button. yeesh.

I took one of the 4000's home to test it and it seems to be in good working order, display and everything despite the missing power button/finger hook, The owner agreed to $225 for it. Now for the 2000, it has no display. The display is lit but I can't see any characters, or maybe only faintly. Maybe only a loose wire? I doubt it could be sold in its current condition, ya can't tell what preset your on. has any one had to replace the whole mother board on that front panel? I offered to post up a question to you guys to get ideas.

I might take the other 4000 if it seems to be working ok. I do diy fixits on amps but I am no electronics wizard by a long shot. Just looking for loose stuff, solder a repair and clean things up.

Thanks for the input.
2 Jack 10's Beta 10A's, piezo array
2 Jack 10’s, Beta 10A’s, NSD2005
2 WH 6 panel mount
2 WH 8 panel mount
Crown XLS 1500
Crown XLS 1002
Crown XTI 4000
Dbx 231
Mackie ProFX12
dbx pa2
2 Titan 39 16" slims w/3012lf

Bruce Weldy

Re: Crown amps with issues

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Often the display malfunction is a case of the ribbon cable needing to be cleaned and reset. If you can buy it really cheap - take a chance on that being the fix.

If not, then offer to try and fix it before buying it - you can't make any changes to the setup without the screen.

Just locate the ribbon cable and take it off. Use some denatured alcohol on a Q-tip to clean off the connector on the board. Then shoot it with some DeOxit 5 if you have some. Sometimes just resetting the cable fixes it.

If that doesn't work - pass on it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Windmill

#3 Post by Windmill »

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
2 Jack 10's Beta 10A's, piezo array
2 Jack 10’s, Beta 10A’s, NSD2005
2 WH 6 panel mount
2 WH 8 panel mount
Crown XLS 1500
Crown XLS 1002
Crown XTI 4000
Dbx 231
Mackie ProFX12
dbx pa2
2 Titan 39 16" slims w/3012lf

DJPhatman

#4 Post by DJPhatman »

I had XTi's in my setup. Just leave the power buttons in the "On" position, and don't touch them again. Using a Windows computer, download HiQnet Band Manager. Plug the amps into a USB cord connected to the computer running Band Manager, 1 at a time, and check all the settings through the software. It's so much easier to do than through the front controls. And who cares about the front screen. Probably got broke by some sausage-fingered dude trying to hit the power button.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice