Behringer

Is this amp OK?
LelandCrooks

Behringer

#1 Post by LelandCrooks »

Am I the only one who's noticed the recurring theme in subwoofer threads about some lack or another, and the common point is Behringer? I know I personally have swapped out Behringers for Ashly's (full disclosure, I sell Ashly) that are rated lower power and the difference is substantial, pun intended. I don't have much experience with any of the other brands of switching amplifiers. Anybody else?
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Chris_Allen

Re: Behringer

#2 Post by Chris_Allen »

I swapped from Crown xti's to Behringer INukes. The Crowns were too noisy.

I swapped the Behringer DEQ and DCX for a DBX PA2, although the DBX appears quieter, it is nowhere near as flexible in channel routings. At 4 times the price of the DBX, the protea was far too expensive.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

I've noticed it too Leland.

Quite apart from the issue of their seemingly inflated specs, voltage is voltage.
If an amp has the required voltage swing, it should do the job, right?

Given some people have measured voltage, and seem fine with what they are getting in both voltage and SPL (CO springs to mind with his T60's), I wonder if the "issue" lies elsewhere.

I'll be keeping a close eye on what Bruce has to say with his monitor mixes with his new amp...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Grant Bunter wrote: If an amp has the required voltage swing, it should do the job, right?
That depends on how long it can maintain that voltage. Instantaneous/burst power doesn't matter. Long term sustained power does.

BrentEvans

#5 Post by BrentEvans »

Behringer amps are rated in Behringer watts. One behringer watt = 0.6224 QSC watts. Or something like that.

I have used all of the current lightweight offerings from behringer, qsc, crown, and peavey. The peaveys (and presumably the crests) are the best imho. None of them are quite as good as a class AB amp at maintaining rated power output. The behringers perform well enough unless loaded to 2 ohms and/or pushed hard to the limit. Think of them as light duty.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BrentEvans wrote: Think of them as light duty.
That's why I took a chance with one on monitors. Through two shows, they seem ok....but then, I'm not the one listening to 'em......

While it did put out the listed voltage, it was only by driving it into the red on the input side. Bringing it out of the red reduce the voltage from 60 to 42.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

BrentEvans wrote:Behringer amps are rated in Behringer watts. One behringer watt = 0.6224 QSC watts. Or something like that.
:loler:
TomS

CoronaOperator

#8 Post by CoronaOperator »

BrentEvans wrote: None of them are quite as good as a class AB amp at maintaining rated power output.
IDK, Crown Macrotech 2400's only put out their rated power on a 15 amp circuit for about 12 minutes, then the whole room goes dark!
:loler: :loler:
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Charles Jenkinson

#9 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

BrentEvans wrote:Behringer amps are rated in Behringer watts. One behringer watt = 0.6224 QSC watts. Or something like that.
Is this official? I'm a bit of a sucker for jokes, but Bruce's 42/60 = 0.7

Perhaps an email to Behringer technical help may get to the bottom of it....
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

CoronaOperator

#10 Post by CoronaOperator »

Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

NukePooch

#11 Post by NukePooch »

I bought a inuke3k to replace my Crest LT1000 (280w into 8ohm). Tested it indoors back to back, sounded good. I ran it for a weekend gig on generator, and it just couldn't keep up, so I sent it back.
Now I'm running primarily on a QSC GX7. No issues.

I have been running my church's Wedgehorn 6's on a iNuke1kDSP for probably close to two years now with no problems.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

CoronaOperator

#12 Post by CoronaOperator »

NukePooch wrote: I ran it for a weekend gig on generator, and it just couldn't keep up, so I sent it back.
inukes and generators are a no go.

The inukes have no power factor correction: none, zero, nada. They take an 80 amp gulp of current, then sit around for awhile, then take another gulp. It may average 6 amps over time but a generator cannot react fast enough for its demands. IMO the inukes are for install only or mobile only if you know you'll have good shore power at all your venues. They are fantastic amps for the money if you know their limitations and don't exceed them, generator power is one of them, even running them on long extension cords could have some serious voltage drop with the high 80 amp gulps.
Last edited by CoronaOperator on Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

David Raehn

#13 Post by David Raehn »

I'm sending a pair of GX7s down to Mexico for missions work. Don't want to take any chances.

I have three NU6000s in my own rack now. Continuing the evaluation.....
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Drey Chennells

#14 Post by Drey Chennells »

BrentEvans wrote:I have used all of the current lightweight offerings from behringer, qsc, crown, and peavey. The peaveys (and presumably the crests) are the best imho. None of them are quite as good as a class AB amp at maintaining rated power output. The behringers perform well enough unless loaded to 2 ohms and/or pushed hard to the limit. Think of them as light duty.
same for me. used all of the above. Now I use crest as the go to for light amps, they have a bit more capacitance than peavey's and upgraded chassis and parts. I like my switches and pots with a solid action :wink: . I've tried the 1k and 3k dsp inukes and had the same experience, i.e. worked fine until limits, ugly things happen there. They do have a nice dsp suite. Also, on side by sides with the crest and peavey, pulse to pulse/transient control was audibly not as good. IMO they're an option for some (limited) applications. Just as a side the Beh EP series were the best thing going for the money and category, havent used one in years tho)
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

BrentEvans

#15 Post by BrentEvans »

Charles Jenkinson wrote:
Is this official? I'm a bit of a sucker for jokes, but Bruce's 42/60 = 0.7

Perhaps an email to Behringer technical help may get to the bottom of it....
It's official. I said so. :noob:
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.