Need help with amp for truck tuba

Is this amp OK?
tjiscooler

Need help with amp for truck tuba

#1 Post by tjiscooler »

Hey! I'm working on a truck tuba for my Kia sportage and Id like some advice. I plan on using this speaker
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Referenc ... B002GHBUFY

All I need is a single channel amp to push the truck tuba. The issue is its a 4 ohm speaker and all the amps with decent power in my price range are really only juiced up at 2 ohm. I'm looking for any suggestions.

Also if you have a truck tuba how any watts are you putting to it? Do I even need to pound it? My last sub was a 10" with like 6-800 watts and it wasn't really enough and burned out on me.

Thanks

tjiscooler

Re: Need help with amp for truck tuba

#2 Post by tjiscooler »

This was one I was looking at that a friend recommended, what you think?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_677 ... 00X1D.html

jimbo7

#3 Post by jimbo7 »

tjiscooler wrote:This was one I was looking at that a friend recommended, what you think?

The Infinity is rated at 250w RMS @ 4ohms, so yes that amp will work. You can probably find another amp cheaper.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

NukePooch

#4 Post by NukePooch »

I've got an AutoTuba with the Infinity 860w. I run it off of a 330w Sony XM-ZZR3301 that I got on closeout. I haven't burned anything up yet, but I don't keep it set on kill, either.

'How much is enough' is subjective. All I know is that it gets loud enough to completely drown out my door speakers, blur the mirrors, and ripple the roof over the windshield. I have a small car (Honda Fit), so that plays a role. I built as wide as I could to fit in the cargo area. I'm sure the TruckTuba is the same...build it as wide as you can get.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

Radian

#5 Post by Radian »

What's the OP's budget? That's a big factor. Craigslist can be a gold mine in that regard.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the most I've ever put into my AT's over the years listening to tunes (not test tones) is 8V. Above that it's painful for me (once again with tunes). That equates to ~10W.

There's been days where I've gotten curious and just hooked up the meter to see what it was doing. Turning up the system until the rear-view goes blurry, the clothes vibrate, and I get a big 'ol grin on my face then looking over at the meter.....3-4V. 8)

Numbers like that keep things reliable too. :wink: :wink:
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

My AT, in my Ford Aerostar, is 14" wide with the 8" MCM powered by a 500W @2ohm Alpine. I have run to 28v but mostly only to ~20v, and it easily outruns the factory speakers.
TomS

tjiscooler

#7 Post by tjiscooler »

Thanks guys. Budget is around $200 ir less for now. Trying to be economical with the project since its already an old car I won't have forever.

tjiscooler

#8 Post by tjiscooler »

jimbo7 wrote:
tjiscooler wrote:This was one I was looking at that a friend recommended, what you think?

The Infinity is rated at 250w RMS @ 4ohms, so yes that amp will work. You can probably find another amp cheaper.

So those specifications are pretty good then? Just need to shop around for something comparable?
I typically keep the bass at a level that just shakes the mirrors, unless im rockin put them it's full fuzzy mirror. Not quite to the hair shaking around phase though hahaha. Just looking to get the most out of the box is all.

CoronaOperator

#9 Post by CoronaOperator »

tjiscooler wrote: I typically keep the bass at a level that just shakes the mirrors, unless im rockin put them it's full fuzzy mirror.
Then make sure you stick with a class D amplifier. Cheaper class A/B amplifiers usually have insufficient heat sinks and tend to thermal out (shut down due to overheating) at extended high volumes.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience