thoughts about my amps for the whole setup

Is this amp OK?
heavybdrums

thoughts about my amps for the whole setup

#1 Post by heavybdrums »

I am going to have 4 stage monitor mixes sent to a maximum of 6 monitors (some will have the same mix sent to them). Four of the monitors will be W10 and two will be w8. I will need 2 DBX driveracks for the 4 mixes, the high pass being different for the 8's and 10's, causing the 10's to be on one driverack, and the 8's on the other, so there will be 4 mixes split between the 2 driveracks.
For amp complement I own one QSC GX 5, but I find myself only using 50% of it's capacity on these monitors, so I thought I would get 2X GX 3's (300 watts/8 ohms, 425 watts/4 ohms) to run these 6 monitors.
I will wind up with 4X DR 250's (2 per side) for tops, and thought I would run those with the QSC GX5 ( 500 watts/8 ohms, 700 watts/4 ohms), with each pair on one channel.
I will also wind up with 4X Titan 39's with 3012 lf's all built to max width (28"), and thought the QSC GX7 ( 725 watts/8 ohms, 1000 watts/4 ohms) would be the appropriate size amp for them running 2 per side of the amp.
The tops and subs would be run (I suppose) from one DBX Driverack, but this is the part I'm unsure of. The voltage limit will be set to 50 volts for the subs with the DBX limiter, but I'm not interested in limiting the tops. Can I limit the low side of the DBX and not the full range output, or would it be any problem for the tops to be limited to 50 volts along with the subs. I kinda figure the tops might start breaking up long before reaching 50 volts, but not sure.

Does this, as planed out, sound like a reasonable amp configuration? Also are there any problems with running one side of these amps at 8 ohms and the other at 4 ohms? I have done this a few times before without problems with the gx5, but wondered if I could cause problems in the future if I ran this way often.
Last edited by heavybdrums on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated

NukePooch

Re: thoughts about my amps for the whole setup

#2 Post by NukePooch »

The T39's with 3012LF can run to 55v if you want... the driverack has separate limiters on Hi and Lo, so it's no problem to limit the subs @ 50-55v and limit the highs differently or not at all.

No problem running a different load on each side of the amp.

As far as driveracks on monitors, I know my driverack PX does not have separate EQ's for L and R, so trying to run two different monitor sends is a no-go. I'm not sure if the more expensive driveracks have L and R EQ's separately... Someone else will have to chime in on this to verify if the more expensive driveracks will work...
You might be better served by getting monitor amps with onboard DSP...Or, you can run monitor EQ off your board (if you've got a decent digital board) and run a hi-pass filter on the amp. This is my preferred method because I have monitor EQ at my fingertips in case I need to change on the fly.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

heavybdrums

#3 Post by heavybdrums »

NukePooch wrote:The T39's with 3012LF can run to 55v if you want... the driverack has separate limiters on Hi and Lo, so it's no problem to limit the subs @ 50-55v and limit the highs differently or not at all.

No problem running a different load on each side of the amp.

As far as driveracks on monitors, I know my driverack PX does not have separate EQ's for L and R, so trying to run two different monitor sends is a no-go. I'm not sure if the more expensive driveracks have L and R EQ's separately... Someone else will have to chime in on this to verify if the more expensive driveracks will work...
You might be better served by getting monitor amps with onboard DSP...Or, you can run monitor EQ off your board (if you've got a decent digital board) and run a hi-pass filter on the amp. This is my preferred method because I have monitor EQ at my fingertips in case I need to change on the fly.
The way these driveracks will be paired for the 4 monitors will be 2X w10's on one, and eqed the same using rta and high pass filtered at 50 hz and receiving 2 mixes (L&R). Then the other driverack feeding a second amp which will have the w8' eqed and high passed at 120 hz, receiving the other 2 mixes(L&R). I think this can work?? In addition to the monitor sends splitting, I'm more curious if the size of these amps is appropriate for the speaker sets involved.Of Course I am interested in how to spit up 4 monitor mixes the best way as well.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

Ryan Sober

#4 Post by Ryan Sober »

Are all these amps going to be in the same rack?
If so, I recommend something other than the GX series. The GX3 and GX5 are actually heavier than the GX7. Two GX3, a GX5, and a GX7 is going to be a serious weight footprint.
But, if weight is no issue, then that is certainly an excellent option for amps. I'm a huge fan of the GX series in every aspect other than weight.

heavybdrums

#5 Post by heavybdrums »

Ryan Sober wrote:Are all these amps going to be in the same rack?
If so, I recommend something other than the GX series. The GX3 and GX5 are actually heavier than the GX7. Two GX3, a GX5, and a GX7 is going to be a serious weight footprint.
But, if weight is no issue, then that is certainly an excellent option for amps. I'm a huge fan of the GX series in every aspect other than weight.
Thanks ryan, actually they are not going in the same rack. In one rack will be the 2 driveracks, a power strip and 2 GX 3's, this will be the monitor rack. In another rack will be the 3rd dbx, a power conditioner (which I already own) a GX5 and GX7, this will be the tops/subs rack.
I am aware of the approximately 30 lbs for the GX 5 and GX3. but this is the minimum rack complement I would consider. I could actually make the monitor rack into 2 racks. I'm with you on the weight, I plan to build all my racks and don't really care about how many I make and don't want any to weigh more than 80 lbs, and less than that would be better.
I know the 1/2" plywood racks would weigh more than the rotomolded plastic ones but they are much too deep and expensive, so I'm going to make several small ones. Gear loads out of a Ford E 350 without a ramp so this is important to me, and I have a hand truck for transport.

4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

heavybdrums

#6 Post by heavybdrums »

heavybdrums wrote:I am going to have 4 stage monitor mixes sent to a maximum of 6 monitors (some will have the same mix sent to them). Four of the monitors will be W10 and two will be w8. I will need 2 DBX driveracks for the 4 mixes, the high pass being different for the 8's and 10's, causing the 10's to be on one driverack, and the 8's on the other, so there will be 4 mixes split between the 2 driveracks.
For amp complement I own one QSC GX 5, but I find myself only using 50% of it's capacity on these monitors, so I thought I would get 2X GX 3's (300 watts/8 ohms, 425 watts/4 ohms) to run these 6 monitors.
I will wind up with 4X DR 250's (2 per side) for tops, and thought I would run those with the QSC GX5 ( 500 watts/8 ohms, 700 watts/4 ohms), with each pair on one channel.
I will also wind up with 4X Titan 39's with 3012 lf's all built to max width (28"), and thought the QSC GX7 ( 725 watts/8 ohms, 1000 watts/4 ohms) would be the appropriate size amp for them running 2 per side of the amp.
The tops and subs would be run (I suppose) from one DBX Driverack, but this is the part I'm unsure of. The voltage limit will be set to 50 volts for the subs with the DBX limiter, but I'm not interested in limiting the tops. Can I limit the low side of the DBX and not the full range output, or would it be any problem for the tops to be limited to 50 volts along with the subs. I kinda figure the tops might start breaking up long before reaching 50 volts, but not sure.

Does this, as planed out, sound like a reasonable amp configuration? Also are there any problems with running one side of these amps at 8 ohms and the other at 4 ohms? I have done this a few times before without problems with the gx5, but wondered if I could cause problems in the future if I ran this way often.

so besides the weight of the amps and concerns about dividing the monitor sends.....Are these suggested amps as to be used for the speaker sets the appropriate power ratings for them. That's really the question I was asking here.
Is this appropriate:
2X QSC gx 3's to run up to six monitors, 2 Wh8's and 4 wh10's
One QSC gx 5 to run four dr 250's (2 each side)
one QSC gx 7 to run four Titan 39's (28" wide) with single 3012lf each. or would another QSC gx5 be enough for these?
All speakers with premium drivers.
I would like to have plenty of headroom instead of struggling to get to max output.
This set up to be configurable for indoor small venue and outdoor med-small (400-1000) venue. All for live sound.
I realize this setup is a bit small at the 1000 person outdoor size and will probably grow but that is what the current plan is.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

heavybdrums wrote: 2X QSC gx 3's to run up to six monitors, 2 Wh8's and 4 wh10's
one QSC gx 7 to run four Titan 39's (28" wide) with single 3012lf each. or would another QSC gx5 be enough for these?
That setup will work and stick with the GX7 for the subs.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

heavybdrums

#8 Post by heavybdrums »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
heavybdrums wrote: 2X QSC gx 3's to run up to six monitors, 2 Wh8's and 4 wh10's
That setup will work and stick with the GX7 for the subs.
Thanks Bruce !!
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

bradn7

#9 Post by bradn7 »

I haven't seen anyone post about the PLD series from QSC yet. I have the PLD 4.2 and it puts out 400 a side at 8 ohms. I absolutely love it because it has cross overs available for each channel and if my FOH amps give out this little amp can run my whole system and it only weighs 15 lbs tops. The power draw for it at peak is 5 amps. For 1000 dollars you're hard pressed to find a combination of two amps and processing for under 1200.

heavybdrums

#10 Post by heavybdrums »

bradn7 wrote:I haven't seen anyone post about the PLD series from QSC yet. I have the PLD 4.2 and it puts out 400 a side at 8 ohms. I absolutely love it because it has cross overs available for each channel and if my FOH amps give out this little amp can run my whole system and it only weighs 15 lbs tops. The power draw for it at peak is 5 amps. For 1000 dollars you're hard pressed to find a combination of two amps and processing for under 1200.
Glad you asked about these amps as I have a question about them also.
For the digital soundboard and associated mobile computer for recording of gigs, I will be using a UPS/voltage regulator to defeat low voltage instances which can wreak havoc on digital equipment. However any affordable voltage regulation to include enough for the amps would become too expensive I think. So my thinking was that because the gx series uses no dsp they would be less susceptible to low voltage problems compared to amps that rely on dsp.
Is this valid thinking?
In conjunction with voltage regulation for digital boards and computer, should the dbx drive racks be protected from low voltage as well?
These are the ups's I have been looking at: http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-OR2200 ... 200lcdrm2u
And : http://www.shoplet.com/Tripp-Lite-Smart ... 00LCD/spdv
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

heavybdrums wrote:
bradn7 wrote:I haven't seen anyone post about the PLD series from QSC yet. I have the PLD 4.2 and it puts out 400 a side at 8 ohms. I absolutely love it because it has cross overs available for each channel and if my FOH amps give out this little amp can run my whole system and it only weighs 15 lbs tops. The power draw for it at peak is 5 amps. For 1000 dollars you're hard pressed to find a combination of two amps and processing for under 1200.
Glad you asked about these amps as I have a question about them also.
For the digital soundboard and associated mobile computer for recording of gigs, I will be using a UPS/voltage regulator to defeat low voltage instances which can wreak havoc on digital equipment. However any affordable voltage regulation to include enough for the amps would become too expensive I think. So my thinking was that because the gx series uses no dsp they would be less susceptible to low voltage problems compared to amps that rely on dsp.
Is this valid thinking?
In conjunction with voltage regulation for digital boards and computer, should the dbx drive racks be protected from low voltage as well?
These are the ups's I have been looking at: http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-OR2200 ... 200lcdrm2u
And : http://www.shoplet.com/Tripp-Lite-Smart ... 00LCD/spdv
Save your money......

I run a digital board, 3 driveracks and 7 Crowns with DSP in 'em.....of off one circuit....outdoors, indoors, generators.....never a problem.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

heavybdrums

#12 Post by heavybdrums »

Awesome to know Bruce. I became concerned due to the Presonus User FB page and people talking about voltage regulation, and wanting to spend far more than those units I linked. Glad to know they are probably not necessary.
Those guys on that user's site scare me with the amount of problems they have, and the complicated solutions given.
I feel that those boards are fine, but since there is a helpful user's group people get lazy about solving problems on their own, and post every single question they may have, but then there are probably some that are real problems too.
Most seem to have to do with the recording process and WiFi connectivity, and different devices not working together, and people being a bit too prompt on getting updates before they are tried and true.
The Presonus boards do a lot in live sound and as a recording interface, maybe it's trying to do too many things.
Im sure it does a fine job of live sound or you wouldn't still have yours.
One reason I decided on the Soundcraft sI Impact is it is primarily a live sound, digital board with usb connectivity to a DAW for the possibility of recording, but is not a control surface for a DAW, or a recording interface as such. Possibly avoiding some complications.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

escapemcp

#13 Post by escapemcp »

I always run my rig off a 2.6kVA genny. Using iNuke 3000DSPs (so 'minimum' quality amps) and a whole load of other Berry processing (standard DCX/DEQ combo). The only issues I *may* have had was with my CDJs that sometimes seem to play up a little when at a party. Unsure if it's the power, or the environment (dew in the early morning). My point is that despite the CD issues, the amps and other processing boxes have never missed a beat - even when they are at full whack and I suddenly start drawing a high current... the genny groans and voltmeter drops down to around 200V (should be 230V) but the amps just keep on rockin!.