QSC PLX3402 and MX3000a

Is this amp OK?
wantmorebass!

QSC PLX3402 and MX3000a

#1 Post by wantmorebass! »

I have one PLX 3402 http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx/plx.htm and two MX 3000a's http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/mx/mx.htm . Dont know much about reading specs so can someone help me make out.I've read the specs and they seem to have the simalar watt output , but the PLX is 21 lbs. and the MX is 69 lbs. Does bigger mean better here?If not should i sell an MX and get another PLX.They are roughly going for the same price on e-bay.I just bought my plans and will be starting on a pair of T48's and a pair of Dr 200's if i can build them , or a pair of OT112.And will add on as i can.How many cabs can i push with these Amps? and what would be the best thing to do? Keep em all? Sell the MX's? Sell the PLX??? Trying to go as light as possible without sacrificing Quality of the sound.

Turntablist

Re: QSC PLX3402 and MX3000a

#2 Post by Turntablist »

At 69lbs that's one heavy amp! If I were you I'd wait until the first reviews on Peavey's new IPR series and Crown's updated XLS series come out. Crown's amps put out 1100w to 2400w and weigh between 8lbs and 11lbs and cost between 300$ and 600$. Peavey's amps put out 1600w to 6000w and weigh between 7lbs or 9lbs or so and cost between 300$ and 650$.
They come with built in DSPs as well if you spend a bit more cash but I'd go for the ones without built in DSP and buy a separate DSP unit.
-2 T48 3015LF
-2 DR250 2510 crossfired

jcmbowman

#3 Post by jcmbowman »

wantmorebass! wrote:I have one PLX 3402 http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx/plx.htm and two MX 3000a's http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/mx/mx.htm . Dont know much about reading specs so can someone help me make out.I've read the specs and they seem to have the simalar watt output , but the PLX is 21 lbs. and the MX is 69 lbs. Does bigger mean better here?If not should i sell an MX and get another PLX.They are roughly going for the same price on e-bay.I just bought my plans and will be starting on a pair of T48's and a pair of Dr 200's if i can build them , or a pair of OT112.And will add on as i can.How many cabs can i push with these Amps? and what would be the best thing to do? Keep em all? Sell the MX's? Sell the PLX??? Trying to go as light as possible without sacrificing Quality of the sound.
The PLX series is QSC's Powerlight line. They're based on digital circuitry design so they're lighter than the traditional old-style amplifiers - that's why for the same output ratings it weighs 1/3 of the other amp. Keep the PLX - I've never heard someone who owned one complain about it.

As far as the MX, that's up to you. Personally, my back hurts just thinking about lugging a 69 lb. amplifier.

Your amps are more than capable of powering (and if not properly limited destroying) a herd of T48s and DRs or OTs.

If your goal is to go as light as possible without sacrificing sound quality, sell the MX and find something suited to whichever tops you decide to build. The PLX 3402 has enough power to drive 2, 4, 6, or with some creative wiring even 8 or 10 T48s, depending on how close to the bleeding edge you want to run them. The tops you're looking at are a bit more conservative in their requirements. Look for an amplifier that can do 250 watts into 8 ohms , and 500 watts into 4 ohms per side and you'll be good up to 4 cabs.
Low End Junkie for over 20 years.

4 DR250s
4 Tuba36s @ 30" wide
2 ATs
...and a very serious addiction to the smell of BB sawdust and curing PL.

bgavin

#4 Post by bgavin »

My first amp was the MX3000a. I named it Godzilla due to its weight.
This thing would run 2.0 ohms all day long and not break a sweat.
Definitely was QSC "big iron". Only suitable for built in use.

I own multiple PLX-3002, and each will drive four T48 to complete, full power.
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.