Soliciting Amp Opinions

Is this amp OK?
SDPowderHound

Soliciting Amp Opinions

#1 Post by SDPowderHound »

Hello all, I'm mid(early?)-build on a pair of T-39's for our band. We are currently running Yamaha C115V's as our only mains off a GX5 and are going to add the T-39's (for now, until I decide I have the time to build new tops). I have a DriveRack and have read every thread I can find on amps, but still have questions so want to seek the advice of those with more experience with T39s.

We are a hobby cover band that plays most rock in small indoor and outdoor gigs of not more than a couple hundred. So (famous last words) I don't see our need for more subs down the road and am in a bit of a quandary selecting an amp for the subs. My first thought was to go with another GX5 and just run a sub off each channel. Easy, fits the $400 budget, reliable if heavy for today's amps. And from what I can tell, the GX5 will fit the voltage requirements of the T39s well, with plenty of headroom when limited, without going crazy.

But I got thinking about some of the iNukes, IPRs and Crowns in the same price range due to the lightness, etc... I began exploring and figure that in the same range we can get a Class D amp for the same budget that only has in the 350 watt range per channel (IPR 2 2000 @370wpc, Crown xls3000 @375wpc) So if I get one of these, it seems that on some occasions we may want more power and then will have to resort to the dread bridging. I know Bill's advice is to almost never bridge.

Would I be better off just going with the GX5 or is it worthwhile having the lighter amp with the understanding that we would need to bridge on some, rare, occasions?

Or should we just run tops off one channel and subs off the other of our current GX5??! Maybe we should start there? Too many options! Thanks in advance.

Bruce Weldy

Re: Soliciting Amp Opinions

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Stick with QSC so that you maintain the same airflow in your rack. Personally, I'd go with the GX7 - much more powerful and much lighter than a GX5. It will give you headroom to run cool with the subs and plenty of power if (and when) you add two more subs.

I been running a pair of GX7s on another band's system for a couple of years now and never had a hiccup. While they are in the same marketing line as the GX5, they are a totally different amp.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

SDPowderHound

#3 Post by SDPowderHound »

Thanks Bruce. I'll check it out. It sounds to me like if I go with something with more power like the GX7 we'll be running it at about 65% max when limited for the T39s, to your point of "running cool."

And we're going to need a new rack, out of space in the current one. Not sure if I'm going to put it all in one yet.
Bruce Weldy wrote:Stick with QSC so that you maintain the same airflow in your rack. Personally, I'd go with the GX7 - much more powerful and much lighter than a GX5. It will give you headroom to run cool with the subs and plenty of power if (and when) you add two more subs.

I been running a pair of GX7s on another band's system for a couple of years now and never had a hiccup. While they are in the same marketing line as the GX5, they are a totally different amp.

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

SDPowderHound wrote: And we're going to need a new rack, out of space in the current one. Not sure if I'm going to put it all in one yet.

So, build one!

I have everything in one rack on wheels. Built it to be what I wanted. Of course now, 5 years later, I wish it had just a few more spaces. :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

escapemcp

#5 Post by escapemcp »

Bruce Weldy wrote:I have everything in one rack on wheels.
Amen. You then don't have to connect your various racks together for every gig.
Bruce Weldy wrote:Of course now, 5 years later, I wish it had just a few more spaces. :mrgreen:
Innit!

DJPhatman

#6 Post by DJPhatman »

Instead of buying a new amp, get a DSP instead. dBx Driverack P series, Bunker Audio or Behringer DCX2496 are all good. Set it up, run your Yamaha on one channel of the GX5 and the T39s on the other.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

DJPhatman wrote:Instead of buying a new amp, get a DSP instead. dBx Driverack P series, Bunker Audio or Behringer DCX2496 are all good. Set it up, run your Yamaha on one channel of the GX5 and the T39s on the other.
No need, the OP has a Driverack:
In his first post this thread:
I have a DriveRack
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...