It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:20 pm 

My tablesaw has been sitting idle for too long, and while my DR250/T39 system doesn't get used much, it doesn't really fit by my television. The room my TV is in is about 15' x 15', but has little wall space, owing to the many doors and windows.

A couple quick pictures:
First, looking at the TV. The space between the door and outside window is all I have to work with:
Attachment:
File comment: Looking at the TV, sitting on a credenza, with cheap Costco speakers
tv_credenza.jpg
tv_credenza.jpg [ 38.54 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]

I think a pair of floor-standing TLAHs on wither side of the credenza might work, with a curved SLA under the TV.

And the couch on the other side of the room (currently flanked by the O15TB my son uses for electric bass, one set of DR250/T39:
Attachment:
File comment: Looking back at the movie watching couch
couch_bookcase.jpg
couch_bookcase.jpg [ 44.96 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]

I have three ideas for subwoofers:

1) Table Tube built as a coffee table in the middle of the room
2) Table Tuba long style on the floor behind the couch (the recliners built into the couch require it be spaced away from teh wall anyway)
3) THTLP, built as narrow as possible for a 12, also on the floor behind the couch.

I don't really have a wall at either end of the "behind the couch" space to fire the sub against, and I can't block the closet door (to the right of the T39). Perhaps I could slide the bookcase to teh other side of the couch and point the sub at teh left corner near the sliding glass door.

Any suggestions/advice?

2 Titan 39s

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 am 

TT long behind the couch makes the most sense. Recline it first though and measure to make sure the cab won't interfere.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:49 pm 

LelandCrooks wrote:
TT long behind the couch makes the most sense. Recline it first though and measure to make sure the cab won't interfere.

I'd build a "platform" for the couch using THTLP. Do you have any of that flooring left, or at least available?

Also, how important is the "credenza"? Could it be "rebuilt" into a sub pretending to be a credenza?

Skip the floor-standing TLAH, and put them on the wall. No precious floor-space is lost. Curved SLA under the TV should be fine. Have you given any thought about surrounds?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:55 pm 

LelandCrooks wrote:

I just measured with the seat reclined, and 15" x 18" will fit just fine. Thanks!

2 Titan 39s

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:07 am 

DJPhatman wrote:
LelandCrooks wrote:

I'd build a "platform" for the couch using THTLP. Do you have any of that flooring left, or at least available?

Also, how important is the "credenza"? Could it be "rebuilt" into a sub pretending to be a credenza?

Skip the floor-standing TLAH, and put them on the wall. No precious floor-space is lost. Curved SLA under the TV should be fine. Have you given any thought about surrounds?

Raising the couch seems like a lot of work...

The wall is only 7' wide, and I have just 41" above the light switch, so I might have to go with the 8 speaker version and trim and inch or so off of it to fit it over the switch. Would I want the rectangular version given the close spacing? It seems too close for the triangular versions.

For surrounds I'm planning on building the 2 woofer version of the SLA from the recent plans intended for surrounds. I actually planned for this, and have outlet boxes in the ceiling at the two back corners of the room with wire in the wall back to where the TV is.

2 Titan 39s

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:56 pm 

billkatz wrote:
Raising the couch seems like a lot of work...

Doing things the right way, the first time, saves you work/time. TT behind the couch is fine. Build a second to fit under the credenza.

billkatz wrote:
The wall is only 7' wide, and I have just 41" above the light switch, so I might have to go with the 8 speaker version and trim and inch or so off of it to fit it over the switch. Would I want the rectangular version given the close spacing? It seems too close for the triangular versions.

Check out Bill's:

You have plenty of space! Worse case scenario is you take out most of the toe-in.

billkatz wrote:
For surrounds I'm planning on building the 2 woofer version of the SLA from the recent plans intended for surrounds. I actually planned for this, and have outlet boxes in the ceiling at the two back corners of the room with wire in the wall back to where the TV is.

Smart!

About the credenza: see authorized builder Scott Brochu"s "hidden" center and sub in this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:55 pm 

DJPhatman wrote:

billkatz wrote:

Check out Bill's:

You have plenty of space! Worse case scenario is you take out most of the toe-in.

I could hang rectangular TLAHs on either side of the TV. I can't really get anything in the left corner as to the left of the door you see are two more doors that make up the laundry closet.

DJPhatman wrote:

billkatz wrote:

Smart!

About the credenza: see authorized builder Scott Brochu"s "hidden" center and sub in this post.

I've seen that - beautiful cabinet work. I don't think my finish cabinetry skills are up to that level. If the TT behind the couch is insufficient, I can always add another as a coffee table. I may yet see if I can squeeze a THTLP behind the couch - the 12" version minimum size is 15" x 18".

On a related topic - is it OK to use hardwood for the face of TLAHs instead of Baltic Birch to give a better finish? I see it mentioned in the SLA plans, but not the TLAH plans.

2 Titan 39s

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Never use hardwood wider than nominal 1x8. It's expansion characteristic is very different from plywood or MDF, so broken joints will likely occur at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 am 

Hi Bill,

With your set up, did having your tv below your right channel speaker affect imaging or have any negative effects? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Jeffrey16 wrote:
did having your tv below your right channel speaker affect imaging or have any negative effects?
Not at all. In the contest between visual directional cues and audio directional cues visual wins every time. It's the other way around with most animals, dogs for instance.