ART Pro Audio SMS226 Speaker Management System

The hows and whys of running sound.
T_Gowan

ART Pro Audio SMS226 Speaker Management System

#1 Post by T_Gowan »

Just curious, Anyone have any experience with this ART product, Didn't even know it existed.
http://artproaudio.com/crossovers_proce ... ct/sms226/
DR200 x2
T24 16" x2
T39 20" x2
DCX2496
DEQ2496 x2
FBQ2496
Mackie DL1608

Bruce Weldy

Re: ART Pro Audio SMS226 Speaker Management System

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

T_Gowan wrote:Just curious, Anyone have any experience with this ART product, Didn't even know it existed.
Looks like they've entered the "driverack" business. Unfortunately, the price is right up there with dbx. Too bad....would like to see some competition to drag down the price.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
T_Gowan wrote:Just curious, Anyone have any experience with this ART product, Didn't even know it existed.
Looks like they've entered the "driverack" business. Unfortunately, the price is right up there with dbx. Too bad....would like to see some competition to drag down the price.
True Bruce.
The outputs appear to be assignable to 1 x 6 though, which isn't like the driveracks right?
It's more like a DCX2496 in that regard.
Still, with onboard EQ in 1RU,RTA, etc, if the pricing is similar to the driveracks, it's better value than a DCX2496/DEQ2496 combo, and will likely be more rider friendly than "anything Behringer"...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

djamps

#4 Post by djamps »

Grant Bunter wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:
True Bruce.
The outputs appear to be assignable to 1 x 6 though, which isn't like the driveracks right?
It's more like a DCX2496 in that regard.
Still, with onboard EQ in 1RU,RTA, etc, if the pricing is similar to the driveracks, it's better value than a DCX2496/DEQ2496 combo, and will likely be more rider friendly than "anything Behringer"...
It's more like a driverack 260.

The PA series is probably what you're thinking about, more limited in assignments.

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

djamps wrote: It's more like a driverack 260.

The PA series is probably what you're thinking about, more limited in assignments.
True, but in 99% of the cases of most everyone I know and size systems we run, the ability to run more than a 3 way system is a waste. Thus, I've always stayed with the lower level driveracks - just can't justify the additional cost for things I'd never use.

Now, if it was an independent 4 input by 4 output......I'd be jumping all over it for monitors instead of having to run two driveracks for the same 4 monitors. 6x6 would be even better!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

CoronaOperator

#6 Post by CoronaOperator »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
djamps wrote:
Now, if it was an independent 4 input by 4 output......I'd be jumping all over it for monitors instead of having to run two driveracks for the same 4 monitors. 6x6 would be even better!
DBX 640 is 6 in x 4 out and can be had used for a decent price, you can even find the 1260 ( 12 in x 6 out) used for a steal sometimes
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

djamps

#7 Post by djamps »

Recently replaced a discontinued 481 with a 260 (with some consolidation of amp channels obviously) at my church due to lack of anything with 4 inputs in our current budget. The PA+ or PA2 was a no-go since we needed 1x6 capability -- all mono with subs and 2-way array in the mix of mains, side fills and auxilary locations. Skipped over the berry as I didn't want to be the one who 'downgraded' (brand wise) the most critical device in the system if/when something went wrong. We did go with 4x DEQ's for all the mic processing, at least some redundancy there.

The 481 had amazing specs for a 1U of it's time and it lasted over 10 years in service, but had a crazy loud fan and a lightly humming output channel thus had to go.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

CoronaOperator wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:
djamps wrote:
DBX 640 is 6 in x 4 out and can be had used for a decent price, you can even find the 1260 ( 12 in x 6 out) used for a steal sometimes
hmmmmm.....euroblock and rca connectors.....not my cup of tea.

And it requires a PC for setup......fine for the install world, but not gigging.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

CoronaOperator

#9 Post by CoronaOperator »

Bruce Weldy wrote:......fine for the install world, but not gigging.
Make a 1U panel with xlr's and hard wire it. Get yourself a tablet and a router. No more running up to the rack to make a change. Wifi has changed the world. I use the venue 360 that way and will never go back. Also run my lights and my ui16 wifi too!
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

CoronaOperator wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:......fine for the install world, but not gigging.
Make a 1U panel with xlr's and hard wire it. Get yourself a tablet and a router. No more running up to the rack to make a change. Wifi has changed the world. I use the venue 360 that way and will never go back. Also run my lights and my ui16 wifi too!
I want to be able to access everything on the unit from the front panel....you can't do that with that unit. You are forced to use the computer....just extra to set up for the one out of 10 shows that I might need it. I can certainly build rack panels (I've lost count on how many I've built for bands), but hot-swapping in the heat of battle when you need direct access because a cable broke from the unit to the panel just isn't possible in a case like that.

There's a reason that they don't sell that unit in the touring world.....it's really a zone controller for installations.

I occasionally mix on my iPad.....but, only when having the board out front is impossible. Board is faster and less tedious than a tablet for me.

Hey, I'm old and old-school (but I do embrace digital processing and boards).

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210