A cheap DSP for your Active speaker Projects

The hows and whys of running sound.
Noclu

A cheap DSP for your Active speaker Projects

#1 Post by Noclu »

Hello everybody,

As I'm asking questions on questions, I thaught I'll be a little useful and show you guys a thing that fell into my hands a few days ago!

I was searching a cheap standalone DSP solution to give some active speakers (home audio, think it would be PA usable , too)
With the Sigma Studio Software you can graphically program Filters, Delays, Eqs, ... Until the chip processing capacity is reached.

The DSP is called Sure ADAU 1701 (a quick Google search will tell you where to get one)
And it's like 20 bucks.

For programming I currently use my arduino nano, I will keep you guys updated on this, as I'm currently making my first steps in this, too.

Grant Bunter

Re: A cheap DSP for your Active speaker Projects

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Noclu wrote:Hello everybody,

As I'm asking questions on questions, I thaught I'll be a little useful and show you guys a thing that fell into my hands a few days ago!

I was searching a cheap standalone DSP solution to give some active speakers (home audio, think it would be PA usable , too)
With the Sigma Studio Software you can graphically program Filters, Delays, Eqs, ... Until the chip processing capacity is reached.

The DSP is called Sure ADAU 1701 (a quick Google search will tell you where to get one)
And it's like 20 bucks.

For programming I currently use my arduino nano, I will keep you guys updated on this, as I'm currently making my first steps in this, too.
I guess it's always good to see where "new" technology is going.
It's $20 for the chip ($27 in Australia). But you have to mount that chip on a board, link it to Auduino etc etc, so the real cost isn't $20 right?

Have you managed to work out how much processing you get yet?

I can see some purposing in HT, if a receiver doesn't have what you need in terms of DSP processing.
As has been said in other threads though, active isn't all it's cracked up to be in pro audio...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Noclu

#3 Post by Noclu »

For programming you could use a so called freeusbi and the parts of it cost like 5$!
With a little soldering and figuring out this and that.

You can definitely use it for HT , but you are limited to two inputs / 4 outputs with the sure one.

Will give some details about its power as soon as I got it running, but I'm short on time for a week or so.

Mkulu

#4 Post by Mkulu »

Noclu wrote:Hello everybody,

And it's like 20 bucks.

You got my brain going on this one, and came up with a totally new idea.

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

Noclu wrote:For programming you could use a so called freeusbi and the parts of it cost like 5$!
With a little soldering and figuring out this and that.

You can definitely use it for HT , but you are limited to two inputs / 4 outputs with the sure one.

Will give some details about its power as soon as I got it running, but I'm short on time for a week or so.
Looking forward to hearing about it when you get it sorted.
And a thorough explanation :)

It would be great to compare it to a miniDSP...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Noclu

#6 Post by Noclu »

So today my FreeUsbi came and i had to try that thing out!

The FreeUSBi is a progammer for the Sure DSP (originally planned for the FreeDsp - Which is an alternative.
You can build this one for yourself (check http://www.freedsp.cc/) and it´s a few bucks.
If you have basic skills in soldering it shoud be no problem!

I made some Pictures while i soldered it, but i cant find them ...and to be honest, i´m a little drunk!

So...You solder the programming adapter, download the (free) software (http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/ ... st_02.html)
Install the driver, hook up your I/O´s and you can start tinkering around.

I took a cheapo class D amp and some broadband speakers i had laying around.
Started with a simple I/O to check if everything is right (the changes you make in software are transferred to the chip in almost realtime)
And : Some sound!

OK....let´s check the possibilities!

and WOW!

the Chip can handle some Eq´s, delays, dynamic processing, filtering at the same time.

The only thing i noticed was a little noise coming from it, as i seem to have problems with sample rates.
But i think that shouldn´t be a problem if i spend more time with it.

The thing that really intrerests me is changing parameters in realtime.
Build a small active box and change what you don´t like sounds like a deal for me ...for like 30 - 40 Bucks?

You can go up to 4 channels with this Chip (2 IN 4 Out) so a 2.1 System would be no problem.

to get to a conclusion, i´m happy with this thing. For small purposes really usefull.
I´d even put it in an active PA box - But as we power everything via external amps i´ll stick to my controller.

But what´s wrong about a little box for your living room that sounds good? :)
...Or is "made" sound good at some costs

The DSP board gives you some GPIO´s btw, where you can hook up things like LED´s / Switches / Potentiometers

As i´m a newbie to this, please correct me if i said something wrong.

The FreeUSBi website gives all ressources needed for learning, if somebody is interested!

If i find these pictures tomorrow, i´ll upload them!

Cheers

Noclu

#7 Post by Noclu »

People who are interested in this thing, here are some links :

General : http://www.freedsp.cc/
Sigma Studio : http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/ ... st_02.html
Free USBi Programmer : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rKk ... z5hA0/edit

Sigma Studio is relatively easy to use.
Found some nice YT Tutorial here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abI1r4i8hHI (sadly just in german language)

KJ4BXT

#8 Post by KJ4BXT »

This is very interesting, thanks for posting
---------------------------
meyers at my job, BFM for my system
2x 24" T48 with 3015lf
2x DR250 with 2510 and melded array

Other hardware comes and goes, but these speakers stay.