Driveracks for many monitors?

The hows and whys of running sound.
GNUlars

Driveracks for many monitors?

#1 Post by GNUlars »

Hi!
What processor do you guys use for monitors?
I run a mono PA and I use 4 or 5 separate monitor sends from my mixer.
Can I use three Driverack PA2´s?
-one for mono mains and monitor channel 1
-two Driveracks for monitor channels 2,3,4,5
Lars
Edit: maybe two Driverack Venu360 would be easier (but a little more expensive..)
Making six or twelve DR200`s, great fun!
Also have two T39´, a T48, four W8´s and two W6´s in the making
No, I´m not in a hurry...
Allen&Heath GL2200 16ch, Allen&Heath SQ5, DBX Venu360, DBX dr PA

Bruce Weldy

Re: Driveracks for many monitors?

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

GNUlars wrote:Hi!
What processor do you guys use for monitors?
I run a mono PA and I use 4 or 5 separate monitor sends from my mixer.
Can I use three Driverack PA2´s?
-one for mono mains and monitor channel 1
-two Driveracks for monitor channels 2,3,4,5
Lars
Edit: maybe two Driverack Venu360 would be easier (but a little more expensive..)
I use two driveracks on 4 of my sends and run the other two using just the Graphic EQ on my digital board.

You can't really run the monitors and mains on one driverack. The crossover controls both channels, so if you want full range monitors....ain't gonna happen.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Chris_Allen

#3 Post by Chris_Allen »

I used one driverack which gives me the ability to measure frequency response of all my speakers so I can set EQ. I tend to do this independantly with the monitors but the main PA always gets a full response test at every outing. I capture the EQ for the monitors as a reference point.

The driverack only sits on the main outputs and I use the 31-band EQ in the digital board to control the output to the monitors via the Aux outs. Alternatively, I can use the EQ in my DSP power amps but the parametrics don't give as much control.

Note that Bruce and I are in two completely different scales of operation. My rig is much smaller for lighter duty and portability. Looking at the scale of your building adventure, you should be looking more towards Bruce's design paradigm.

I can't believe how much more control I have over sound in comparison to 10 years ago. Then again, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing 10 years ago! (Maybe some things haven't changed much....)
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

GNUlars

#4 Post by GNUlars »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
I use two driveracks on 4 of my sends and run the other two using just the Graphic EQ on my digital board.

You can't really run the monitors and mains on one driverack. The crossover controls both channels, so if you want full range monitors....ain't gonna happen.
Oh, so you can´t route the channels independently on the Driverack PA?
-Then the Venu360 is the way to go... Very flexible! I downloaded the app for it and did a configuration with one of the three inputs running mains to three crossed over outputs. The remaining two inputs makes two monitor channels to one output each. (still one remaining output, seems it can be used for a mix of the two monitor channels...)

It seems impossible to run the Driverack PA2 control app without connecting to an actual unit, shame...
Lars
Making six or twelve DR200`s, great fun!
Also have two T39´, a T48, four W8´s and two W6´s in the making
No, I´m not in a hurry...
Allen&Heath GL2200 16ch, Allen&Heath SQ5, DBX Venu360, DBX dr PA