On the edge of purchasing a Driverack - have questions

The hows and whys of running sound.
Joe Hudson

On the edge of purchasing a Driverack - have questions

#1 Post by Joe Hudson »

Hello all. I am looking into adding a Driverack (more than likely the PA2) to my setup. I was curious about the autoEQ - have any of you had issues setting this up outside (wind, excessive background noise, etc.?) as well as inside. I do understand that the quieter the better, but as we all know, many times getting a good window of silence in a venue can be tough. I am also curious about some initial settings for the T48 (30" wide, 3015LF loaded) - I am running two of them on one side of a Peavey IPR3000. Apologies for the somewhat rookie type questions, but the help here is always appreciated!

Bruce Weldy

Re: On the edge of purchasing a Driverack - have questions

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

The Auto EQ works quite well. Sometimes there will be a huge swing in adjoining frequencies, so I smooth those out some.

As the driveracks have progressed - the Auto EQ has gotten much faster - down to about 15 seconds or so. The original one took a minute or so.

You also have the option of the type of curve you want - I always opt for the band curve. Bumps the low end and pulls some of the low mids - cleans up the mud in a band mix.

But, you still need to use your ears for final tweaking.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

Re: On the edge of purchasing a Driverack - have questions

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

Other than Bruce's excellent advice;

For 2 x T48's your high pass has to be set to 40Hz and your LP at whatever you want your crossover point to be, depending on the ability of your tops...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...