New Mixer Thoughts

The hows and whys of running sound.
doncolga

New Mixer Thoughts

#1 Post by doncolga »

I'm currently weighing the Behringer X12 or 16 against Soundcraft UI 16 surfaceless mixer. For some reason, I really like the idea of the Soundcraft working off any browser instead of a dedicated app. The UI 16 costs more itself, but I have several devices to control it right now (two available older ipads and a new ipod and iphone if necessary). Don't have that with the XR...I'd have to buy a newer tablet along with it.

I also wish the UI 16 had a parametric EQ on the main outs, but it does have 31 band graphic. Any comments either way on that or is that being ticky? Even though I've used Behringer for years with no trouble, something about the Soundcraft just feels better and is pulling me that way in. Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Donny
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

NukePooch

Re: New Mixer Thoughts

#2 Post by NukePooch »

doncolga wrote:The UI 16 costs more itself, but I have several devices to control it right now (two available older ipads and a new ipod and iphone if necessary). Don't have that with the XR...I'd have to buy a newer tablet along with it.
I'm not sure why you'd need to buy a newer tablet for the Behringer stuff... I run my X32 Rack off of a cheap tablet and an old Android phone without issue (using Mixing Station app).

I feel that 31-band EQ on the outs is fine. I would/could use any of the mixers you are looking at, though I'd likely go the extra cash to get the Behringer X18 with 16 mic preamps...
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

doncolga

#3 Post by doncolga »

NukePooch wrote:
doncolga wrote:The UI 16 costs more itself, but I have several devices to control it right now (two available older ipads and a new ipod and iphone if necessary). Don't have that with the XR...I'd have to buy a newer tablet along with it.
I'm not sure why you'd need to buy a newer tablet for the Behringer stuff... I run my X32 Rack off of a cheap tablet and an old Android phone without issue (using Mixing Station app).

I feel that 31-band EQ on the outs is fine. I would/could use any of the mixers you are looking at, though I'd likely go the extra cash to get the Behringer X18 with 16 mic preamps...
Have you used it as an audio interface into a DAW? If so does that work OK?
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Presonus Studio One DAW

dswpro

#4 Post by dswpro »

I love Mixing Station and regularly run my full X32 with it. I also track from my X32 to USB / Laptop (Studio One, but I have a friend who uses ProTools) without any issues. I have not looked too closely at the smaller X versions or the Soundcraft UI16. I actually like Soundcraft gear in General, but I must admit the X32 has won me over. I don't generally bother with a digital mixer if I'm only running 4 mic inputs, though.

NukePooch

#5 Post by NukePooch »

doncolga wrote: Have you used it as an audio interface into a DAW? If so does that work OK?
I haven't run my X32 Rack into a DAW, but I have run my church's full-size X32 into my Alienware M11x Laptop (old, and not top spec). I had no problem tracking 28 or so channels into Reaper...it was surprisingly easy and trouble free...and cheap (which I love).
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

doncolga

#6 Post by doncolga »

So I've tried WIFI control for one of these surface-less units and it just feels totally weird to me and I really don't like the only means of control being via WIFI and a tablet or a computer. I'd really like it to be able to function totally stand alone. I've got a Presonus 16.0.2 new still in the box that just arrived yesterday and I'm mulling things over. Really the only hesitation I have about the Presonus is the Firewire interface on it. However, my PC and Macbook both have Firewire ports, and the mixer reportedly works fine with a Firewire/Thunderbolt adapter. Hmmmm....thoughts or observations?
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Presonus Studio One DAW

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

doncolga wrote:Really the only hesitation I have about the Presonus is the Firewire interface on it. However, my PC and Macbook both have Firewire ports, and the mixer reportedly works fine with a Firewire/Thunderbolt adapter. Hmmmm....thoughts or observations?
Is it the AI model? If so, the connectivity should be pretty easy.

If it's the older model, it should be plug and play with the Mac, but with the PC - you'll have to make sure that the firewire port is the right kind. I had this issue when I first got my Presonus. I had a laptop with a firewire port, but it wasn't the right kind. I ended up getting a firewire interface that plugs into the slot on the laptop - that works fine.

I think the new ones don't even have to have the computer - you can go straight from the board to a router with no PC in between.

So, go online and read the manual for your model before you open it up.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

doncolga

#8 Post by doncolga »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
doncolga wrote:Really the only hesitation I have about the Presonus is the Firewire interface on it. However, my PC and Macbook both have Firewire ports, and the mixer reportedly works fine with a Firewire/Thunderbolt adapter. Hmmmm....thoughts or observations?
Is it the AI model? If so, the connectivity should be pretty easy.

If it's the older model, it should be plug and play with the Mac, but with the PC - you'll have to make sure that the firewire port is the right kind. I had this issue when I first got my Presonus. I had a laptop with a firewire port, but it wasn't the right kind. I ended up getting a firewire interface that plugs into the slot on the laptop - that works fine.

I think the new ones don't even have to have the computer - you can go straight from the board to a router with no PC in between.

So, go online and read the manual for your model before you open it up.
Hey Bruce,

I was hoping you'd chime in as I remember you have a Presonus too. This is indeed the older unit for $1000. The small AI is about double that and well beyond what I'd be willing to spend.

The primary purpose for it would be live performance, and for that the selling point is the built in processing and that it can operate without WI-FI or a computer, unlike the WI-FI mixers. I love the features of those mixers, except for the reliance on WI-FI or computer connectivity. However, I don't envision needing to mix remotely from a tablet. The only thing I've ever needed to do remotely would be setting the main EQ and I've picked up a DriveRack 2 for that and can use my existing iPhone.

The secondary purpose would be for recording. I have other interfaces to record with, so I don't have to use it for that. But of course it would be great to have that ability, so it's Firewire 400 does give me some pause. My desktop PC has a Texas Instruments PCIe Firewire card so I'm confident it will work with that and my Macbook has Firewire 800. Presonus confirms it's compatible with Thunderbolt adapters as well and if that's the case I could use it with future interfaces.

LOL...it's a pain having the thing just sitting here in the box.
Last edited by doncolga on Tue May 12, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Presonus Studio One DAW

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

doncolga wrote: LOL...it's a pain having the thing just sitting here in the box.

Then get it out and use it!

As I've said here many times....I love mine. In fact, I picked up another one from a band that went under. We now use it as our practice board....run everything direct into the board, then to a headphone amp. It's an amazing way to practice - you hear everything and my buddy's wife can still sit in the other room and read.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

gdougherty

#10 Post by gdougherty »

Could look at the QU series as well. Lots of good options. I'd send the Presonus back, but I almost despise the physical interface on it. I can use them, but the whole translate the LED bar and read the right silk-screened info for the mode you're in drives me up the wall. Either give me a dedicated knob for the function, or put it on a display so I don't have to think too hard while I'm mixing.

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

gdougherty wrote:I almost despise the physical interface on it. I can use them, but the whole translate the LED bar and read the right silk-screened info for the mode you're in drives me up the wall. Either give me a dedicated knob for the function, or put it on a display so I don't have to think too hard while I'm mixing.
???

I don't understand what you mean by this......are you talking about the LEDs on the 16 channel strips?

If that's what you mean, I've never had a problem telling the difference as to whether I'm looking at the input, monitor mix, EQ strip, etc. I flip back and forth without even thinking about it. I don't ever use a light unless I'm in a totally dark mix position....I know where everything is.

Not arguing, just trying to understand what you see as a problem.

I do wish there was a direct access to the GEQ on the 16.4.2 like there is on the 24.4.2....but, it's really not a problem after I have the system set....and I tend to use the PEQ on the master buss more anyway.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

stefon74

#12 Post by stefon74 »

I installed a Soundcraft UI16 in a Church over the weekend. I am very impressed by the tech options that it has. Each channel has an EQ and you can use compression. By putting a cap or gate on each channel you spend less time changing the volume levels. Any device seems to work , I am using a chromebook with no problems I can mix from the audience. I named the channels and created groups and mute groups. Its easy to record to a usb drive also can play audio tracks from a usb drive. I recommend a usb with one side micro usb so you can connect to your phone upload to Google drive and share the file link. Up to 10 devices can be connected at one time. I highly recommend this unit.
sample demo http://www.soundcraft.com/ui-demo/mixer.html

doncolga

#13 Post by doncolga »

Hey everybody,

Guys I'm feeling really blessed. I'm at my first gig with the 16.0.2 and DriveRack PA2...both brand new to me and the DR2 being controlled from an iPad. I know lot's of you all have been doing that, but this is my first time and it rocks! Got the sound just like I want. Didn't evening take it out of the box and hook it up until about 1 PM this afternoon at home. Very intuitive once I got it rolling and being familiar with the DCX 2496 definitely helped ALOT. Can't believe I've got all this processing power here between it and the mixer.

This is the first time in *all* the years I've been playing that I've been able to listen and really adjust things from way in the front. This is a DJ gig wedding rehearsal so it's been pretty relaxed and I've been able to play with it without too much pressure. LOVE IT! Tomorrow evening is the reception at the same venue. I may try to get the mixer running on the iPad connected later tonight at home. I think I've done the hard part just getting my WIFI LAN running.

I'm very happy so far with the mixer as I was able to run it right out of the box. Plus it's got a real physical surface which I must have and I can iPad remote it, so best of both. Plus it can run totally by itself if needed, if it stops I still have my little analog board, plus I can record with it with Firewire or Thunderbolt. That's lots of good marks for what I needed.

My "big" job rack is now just six spaces and the mixer on top. That's a power strip, DriveRack and amps for tops, subs and monitors driving my two slim T30's and OT12's. My "little" job rack is just four spaces to run full range passives or a little powered rig I've got. I use one or the other or both for ceremonies and receptions. Totally rocks and I'm super happy with it.

On top of that, this week I've specifically prayed for good local gigs. Then I got word today that I'm going to be doing four Sunday evening piano jobs in June at a nice local grill for them to give that time a try for the 40+ age group...that's been the icing on the cake today. Now that's three gigs every Sunday including my two churches in the mornings. I think it's gonna rock. Ya'll have a great evening!

Donny
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Presonus Studio One DAW

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good for you! On all fronts.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Chris_Allen

#15 Post by Chris_Allen »

NukePooch wrote: I'm not sure why you'd need to buy a newer tablet for the Behringer stuff...
The original iPad is stuck on iOS 5 and the Air app needs iOS 6/7 or above. Not sure what the iPad 2 goes to.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10