New Mixer Thoughts

The hows and whys of running sound.
BrentEvans

Re: New Mixer Thoughts

#76 Post by BrentEvans »

heavybdrums wrote:
heavybdrums wrote:in my research so far I seem to really like the Soundcraft sI impact, nice features, nice workflow/configurability, nice price.
or is it the Allen & Heath QU 32,,,decisions decisions. $900 difference..that I would notice.
Qu32 Is much less flexible. It has fewer dcas, no scribble strips, fewer hardware encoders. It does have direct usb recording and direct usb Multitrack recording if you have a hard disk, but the si impact has a usb interface, so no big deal. Both boards sound about the same to me.

Si impact is the best deal on the market for its feature set.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

heavybdrums

#77 Post by heavybdrums »

BrentEvans wrote:
heavybdrums wrote:
heavybdrums wrote:in my research so far I seem to really like the Soundcraft sI impact, nice features, nice workflow/configurability, nice price.
or is it the Allen & Heath QU 32,,,decisions decisions. $900 difference..that I would notice.
Qu32 Is much less flexible. It has fewer dcas, no scribble strips, fewer hardware encoders. It does have direct usb recording and direct usb Multitrack recording if you have a hard disk, but the si impact has a usb interface, so no big deal. Both boards sound about the same to me.

Si impact is the best deal on the market for its feature set.
alrighty then, sounds like you have used both and sound the same. The last question I would have about these 2 boards (si impact and QU32) has to do with build quality, in particular is there much difference in apparent durability or robustness of the build. Do both have steel frames and well attached knobs, or smooth faders etc. They appear to weigh the same as far as how sturdy or durable they may be. As far as size the QU 32 is 4" wider, so they are pretty much the same size.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated

BrentEvans

#78 Post by BrentEvans »

Build quality is comparable. The Soundcraft has some decorative plastic side panels, the Qu is a wierd shape. Meh on both counts. We've had Si Expressions (exact same construction as Si Impact) on the road for several years with no durability problems. I have a Qu-16 in a road case that survives well enough.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

heavybdrums

#79 Post by heavybdrums »

BrentEvans wrote:Build quality is comparable. The Soundcraft has some decorative plastic side panels, the Qu is a wierd shape. Meh on both counts. We've had Si Expressions (exact same construction as Si Impact) on the road for several years with no durability problems. I have a Qu-16 in a road case that survives well enough.
Thanks so much for all of your real world knowledge on this topic. I have been leaning to the si since you first mentioned it and researched all I could on it, but still looked around to be sure. youtube doesn't have much since this particular model is new but the expression as you say is very similar. Your last suggesting they have similar build quality as a hands on experience tips the scale finally for the si. Thanks for helping me make this decision, I feel it is a good one.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

heavybdrums

#80 Post by heavybdrums »

Just to let everyone know..I have decided finally on the soundcraft si impact and want to let everyone know that until Nov. 1st 2015 you will save $500 on the board, due to an introductory rebate. Sure hope finances occur before that, but won't alter the plan at any rate.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

heavybdrums

#81 Post by heavybdrums »

Ok...this actually happened today, recieved my new Soundcraft Si Impact console:

4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

Chris_Allen

#82 Post by Chris_Allen »

Very nice!
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

BrentEvans

#83 Post by BrentEvans »

Congrats. You'll love it. I just put one in a church and bought two more for projects next year for clients. It's a really nice board.

NukePooch

#84 Post by NukePooch »

Awesome...Nothing better than New Gear Day!
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

doncolga

#85 Post by doncolga »

doncolga wrote:Hey everybody,

Guys I'm feeling really blessed. I'm at my first gig with the 16.0.2 and DriveRack PA2...both brand new to me and the DR2 being controlled from an iPad. I know lot's of you all have been doing that, but this is my first time and it rocks! Got the sound just like I want. Didn't evening take it out of the box and hook it up until about 1 PM this afternoon at home. Very intuitive once I got it rolling and being familiar with the DCX 2496 definitely helped ALOT. Can't believe I've got all this processing power here between it and the mixer.

This is the first time in *all* the years I've been playing that I've been able to listen and really adjust things from way in the front. This is a DJ gig wedding rehearsal so it's been pretty relaxed and I've been able to play with it without too much pressure. LOVE IT! Tomorrow evening is the reception at the same venue. I may try to get the mixer running on the iPad connected later tonight at home. I think I've done the hard part just getting my WIFI LAN running.

I'm very happy so far with the mixer as I was able to run it right out of the box. Plus it's got a real physical surface which I must have and I can iPad remote it, so best of both. Plus it can run totally by itself if needed, if it stops I still have my little analog board, plus I can record with it with Firewire or Thunderbolt. That's lots of good marks for what I needed.

My "big" job rack is now just six spaces and the mixer on top. That's a power strip, DriveRack and amps for tops, subs and monitors driving my two slim T30's and OT12's. My "little" job rack is just four spaces to run full range passives or a little powered rig I've got. I use one or the other or both for ceremonies and receptions. Totally rocks and I'm super happy with it.

On top of that, this week I've specifically prayed for good local gigs. Then I got word today that I'm going to be doing four Sunday evening piano jobs in June at a nice local grill for them to give that time a try for the 40+ age group...that's been the icing on the cake today. Now that's three gigs every Sunday including my two churches in the mornings. I think it's gonna rock. Ya'll have a great evening!

Donny
Hey guys,

I figured I'd update for a minute. I put some more time into the XR-18 and I've gotten very comfortable with the virtual interface on the XR18 via the Macbook Pro and the iPad, so that's what I've been on a while now. Been working very nicely so far with a ton of features and I can work with it easily. It's reversed racked and stays connected to wireless and the Driverack so connectivity is nice.

Cheers you all!

Donny
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW