Behringer Digital Rack Mixers

The hows and whys of running sound.
SnakeFingers

Behringer Digital Rack Mixers

#1 Post by SnakeFingers »

The Behringer X32 has a gotten lot of favorable attention. Does anyone have any experience with the XR16 or XR18?
Mark

ibgross

Re: Behringer Digital Rack Mixers

#2 Post by ibgross »

They have not been released/shipped yet. I am installing one to be used in a gym at a high school in Omaha. Not sure of the expected time but my memory says it is not until March.

SnakeFingers

#3 Post by SnakeFingers »

ibgross wrote:They have not been released/shipped yet. I am installing one to be used in a gym at a high school in Omaha. Not sure of the expected time but my memory says it is not until March.
The XR12 and XR16 are on pre-order status at Sweetwater, but the XR18 seems to be for sale now.
Mark

dswpro

#4 Post by dswpro »

I'm looking at an X32 rack in March. Passing on the cheaper rack models b/c I want the expansion slot.
Been using a full X32 3-4 times.month for the past 2+ years. Not normally a Behringer fan but the X32 has been very stable.

NukePooch

#5 Post by NukePooch »

dswpro wrote:I'm looking at an X32 rack in March. Passing on the cheaper rack models b/c I want the expansion slot.
Been using a full X32 3-4 times.month for the past 2+ years. Not normally a Behringer fan but the X32 has been very stable.

I agree. I've been using a full X32 @ church 3-4 times a week without issue for a couple of years. I was so impressed that I bought an X32 Rack for myself. I love being able to leave the church board alone, and do outreach events with the Rack, using all my normal in-church settings (EQ, etc) for each mic/singer...makes it a whole lot easier to set up, having everything ready to go.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

SnakeFingers

#6 Post by SnakeFingers »

I'll be getting the XR18 in March as I don't need (and can't afford) 32 channels. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Mark

ibgross

#7 Post by ibgross »

I will let you know if we happen to get it any sooner for the install I have to do.

ibgross

#8 Post by ibgross »

We received the air18 and like how it works. I own and use the x32 extensively and while the air isn't nearly to level of the x32... It shouldn't. It is a very good platform. I would definitely recommend it. The apps for iPad and android work well... No app for iPhone yet. Ask questions and I will answer.

dswpro

#9 Post by dswpro »

The outputs marked as "AUX outs --- Do they have adjustable delays? On the X32 the XLR outputs have them but the AUX outs do not.

SnakeFingers

#10 Post by SnakeFingers »

ibgross wrote:We received the air18 and like how it works. I own and use the x32 extensively and while the air isn't nearly to level of the x32... It shouldn't. It is a very good platform. I would definitely recommend it. The apps for iPad and android work well... No app for iPhone yet. Ask questions and I will answer.
Thanks ibgross. Behringer advertising claims the 32 and 18 use the same pre's and digital engine, but the 18 has less I/O. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRYHqDJPhqo#t=1087

Specifically what isn't to the level of the 32? Just the apps? I'm not challenging your impressions, but any details would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.
Mark

Jools4001

#11 Post by Jools4001 »

I've been using an X32 Rack for around 10 months now. I had some pieces of Berry gear, such as the DEQ2496, in my outboard rack before, and that had been totally reliable - but I was still a little worried about putting a piece of Behringer equipment (with their reputation for making cheap, unreliable, budget stuff) at the heart of my PA. I decided that I would back my own experience with the outboard gear rather than listen to perceived internet wisdom and pull the trigger, I am glad I did. From the moment I opened the box it was clear that B have upped their game considerably, because the unit has a much chunkier, robust feel about it than any of their previous stuff I had owned.

In terms of it's facilities and performance I continue to be amazed at what it does at the pricepoint. I could go on all day, but suffice to say I think that it is the single most impressive piece of musical equipment that I have ever owned in forty years of gigging.

It looks as if the new stuff has a subset of the X32 features, at an even lower price, and I would imagine that Berry have done their homework and ensured those features are the essential ones for the gigging musician. If I was buying again today, knowing what I know now from my X32 experience, I would be right on it - because in truth, I'm still only scratching the surface of the X32 capabilities.
2 x 3012 HO Jack 12 Lites
2 x Delta Pro 8b Wedgehorn 8 Monitors
Subs? Big question mark!

ibgross

#12 Post by ibgross »

Jools kinda nailed it. It is the same essentially as the x32 with fewer inputs and not as deep into the software. No delays on the aux sends that is for the matrix sub groups on the x32. Its kinda taking a small format mackie or allen&heath (like the mix wizards) and throwing it into the digital realm. There is much better routing ability. For the band that runs sound themselves it is perfect. Tested the wifi ability in our shop and was able to maintain a connect thru several cinder block wall and and up and down a floor. Have not had the chance to test with with a gym full of water bags(humans). I have a few newbies to sound running around the shop that are computer savvy but had very little audio experience and they are loving it. One is now regretting buying his analog mixer instead of this. I tried to tell him to hold off. I will be installing into gym over spring break in a couple weeks. On side note love this forum. By far the best I have encountered. Finished putting together my cutlist for 8 t39's and 6 otop jarray's.(First half of my upgraded "A" rig).

ibgross

#13 Post by ibgross »

One obvious thing I forgot if you didn't know. There is absolutely no control except for the headphone out put on this box. It is only through an outside device. ( ipad, android device etc. )

SnakeFingers

#14 Post by SnakeFingers »

ibgross wrote:One obvious thing I forgot if you didn't know. There is absolutely no control except for the headphone out put on this box. It is only through an outside device. ( ipad, android device etc. )
:D

Yep. I consider it a much desired feature. A few of the bands I play with have compulsive knob twiddlers. Look away and they can turn a good mix into mud in a minute. So no knobs is good knobs.

The "outside device" will be mounted to my mic stand. $100 used android tablet rooted, wiped de-bloated. All it will be used for is running the system. I'll install the apps on my personal tablet as a backup.
Mark

doncolga

#15 Post by doncolga »

I just pulled the trigger on the XR-16. Should ship by the end of next month but I may opt for the XR-18, since it will act as an audio interface too. That would be super handy.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW