Using DJ controller and mixer

The hows and whys of running sound.
y2kindyz

Using DJ controller and mixer

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

Hey guys this maybe a stupid question but I am going to ask

I currently have a behringer xenon 1002B. I am thinking of upgrading my xponent controller to a denon MC6000.
I currently run rca's from the xponent to the mixer. The MC6000 has the mixer built in and has xlr outputs.
Would I just take the xlr output and plug them into 2 inputs on the mixer? Or just send the outs to the DriveRack PX?

I have a gdt G788 wireless mic that I use for PA and some karaoke. I don't always mix music. Sometimes I just use rig for PA. That is the reason to wanting to keep the mixer

Thanks in advance,

J_Dunavin

Re: Using DJ controller and mixer

#2 Post by J_Dunavin »

I would keep the two rigs separate.
The Denon has two mic inputs. If your mixing music and doing some lite Karaoke, you could do it all from the Denon, which in my mind would keep things more simple. Take the XLR outs from the Denon straight into the Driverack.
Use the Berhringer just for PA applications.
IF you felt you had to use the Behringer with the Denon, then I would take the XLR out of the Denon into the stereo Channel on the Behringer, set the channel gain and leave it alone. Still do all mixing on the Denon.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

SoundInMotionDJ

#3 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

J_Dunavin wrote:IF you felt you had to use the Behringer with the Denon, then I would take the XLR out of the Denon into the stereo Channel on the Behringer, set the channel gain and leave it alone. Still do all mixing on the Denon.
+1

The Denon MC6000 does have a 3 band EQ for each mic input, and that is better than most.

In most cases, I find it easier to handle mics on an external mixer. I use an NI Kontrol S2 with a Behringer 802 tabletop mixer as my "small" rig. The RCA outs of the S2 go into the stereo channel of the mixer, along with the mic(s), and a 3.5mm input for an iPod/iPhone. I have "full control" of the mic channels, and can set relative gains between the mix and music as needed. This is as much about muscle memory for me as anything else.

If I need more input channels, I'll take a rack mounted Denon X500 and plug the S2 outputs into one of those channels. This MOSTLY happens when I am providing the PA for other DJs to use.
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

y2kindyz

#4 Post by y2kindyz »

Thanks J_D and SoundInMotion,

I was just worried about sending signal from a mixer into another and thought that would cause signal problems. Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

J_Dunavin

#5 Post by J_Dunavin »

just keep the signal lines short and watch the gain on the 2nd mixer.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

y2kindyz

#6 Post by y2kindyz »

Thanks

What are your thoughts separate amp, mixer rack case vs single larger all in one larger amp rack mixer podium style?

I currently have this http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/ ... c=142&s=80. It is loaded with a EP2500, xti1002, drpx, behringer xenon 1002B,and wireless mic. But it is getting heavier or I am getting old. LOL.
I was thinking of getting a amp case to house the amps, but I didn't want have to run 4 long wires from the DRPX to the amps.

I was looking into building one like Bruce I the "mobile rack case in Australia " but i don't think I have the skills or time .

DJPhatman

#7 Post by DJPhatman »

FWIW, y2kindyz, I built myself an all-in-one case, 13RU slant on top, 16RU bottom. Rails on the front and back of the bottom, friction held covers for the bottom, and an extra deep lid. I mounted a 17" LCD monitor on the inside of the lid, a 12RU Yamaha EMX-5000 12 channel powered mixer in the slant top, 2 XTi 1000s, a 4RU custom made computer, light controller and dual tray CD player with controller. It is one heavy summabitch! If I were to do it all over again, I'd build/buy super-lightweight separate cases for the mixer, the CD player and controller, the 2 amps, and the computer with the monitor. I'd rather lift a bunch of smaller, lighter cases than the behemoth I have now. Even though it is on some good size casters, it is still a PITA to move anywhere but the flattest tile floor! :shock:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

y2kindyz

#8 Post by y2kindyz »

Thanks DJP that is kinda what I was thinking.

Do you have some pics? I'd like to see your setup

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

DJPhatman wrote:Even though it is on some good size casters, it is still a PITA to move anywhere but the flattest tile floor! :shock:
I have no problem moving mine by myself all the time. In and out of the trailer with no problem.

I don't like lifting anything if I can help it. But I can roll that thing and walk it up small steps on the casters with no problem.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

DJPhatman

#10 Post by DJPhatman »

y2kindyz wrote:Do you have some pics? I'd like to see your setup
I'm sorry, no. It is currently buried in a storage locker. The only pictures of it are on a non-working computer.
Bruce Weldy wrote:I have no problem moving mine by myself all the time. In and out of the trailer with no problem.

I don't like lifting anything if I can help it.
This was my intent when I designed it. Roll it in, plug in power, speaker and input wires, and I'm up and running. Except the damn thing weighs, fully loaded, at just over 300 pounds! Hell, empty, the box weighs around 55-60 pounds. Worse yet, it's top heavy (powered mixer and 17" LCD at the top), so stairs are a no-go. Even wheeling it in and out of the trailer was a 2 man job.

Multiple, smaller pieces that will stack on top of each other is a better way, IMHO. I would rather have the amps near the speakers, and the mixer and DSP out front.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

DJPhatman wrote: Except the damn thing weighs, fully loaded, at just over 300 pounds!

Certainly, what you load it with makes a big difference. I have all lightweight amps.....there are five of 'em now, three driveracks, and a Yamaha MG board. If you are using old iron amps....then yeah, it's gonna be heavy.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."