DBX DriveRack PA2

The hows and whys of running sound.
miked

DBX DriveRack PA2

#1 Post by miked »

Saw this in my ProSoundWeb Daily newsletter/email: http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/dbx_ ... nt_system/

dbx Professional has introduced the DriveRack PA2 loudspeaker management system, incorporating a new Wizard that allows for faster and easier set-up, new AutoEQ, and a highly accurate Advanced Feedback Suppression (AFS).

The new DriveRack PA2 can be controlled on the fly with mobile devices or laptop using Ethernet control via an Android, iOS, Mac, or Windows device. The Wizard utility provides users with access to a host of configuration menus and on their mobile device, with full-color graphical displays that give ready visual indications of the parameters being adjusted. The DriveRack PA2 can also be operated via its front-panel controls and display.
DBX link: http://www.dbxpro.com/en-US/products/driverack-pa2

To my eyes, it's just a PA+ with networking/remote operation features (which is super-nice upgrade). I'd love to be able to adust crossover gains and EQ remotely instead of going through the multiple spin the knob/click the thing/push the button motions and then running out to FOH to give a listen. Lather/rinse/repeat.

The front panel is a bit diferent and a little more logically laid-out IMO. The white text on black background was a smart choice. I don't much care for the bright, reflective silver face of the current PA+ that I have. The fact that the MSRP is $499.00 pretty much says this is the PA+'s replacement.

Now is a fine time to buy a DSP if you don't already own one.

Charles Jenkinson

Re: DBX DriveRack PA2

#2 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

All together now!:

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I've just been inspired with the first line of the chorus of a song I haven't written yet:

"How's about a little eternal torment?"....
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

miked

#3 Post by miked »

Yeah, I sorta feel that way too. I bought my PA+ b/c I had one of the older DCXs that would just up and die on you...and mine was out of warranty when it died. So I tossed it and did the "Buy once, cry once" thing. I can live with the shiny silver face on my PA+ and it's been reliable as a rock. But MAN, would that remote configuration app run nicely on my laptop...or Android phone. :wall:

Charles Jenkinson

#4 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

You'll be pleased to know I've got the whole chorus:

How's about a little eternal torment?
A wizard or two will go down very well,
It's hot in DSP hell, with a :cussing: (rhymes with 'pitty') manual
And Behringer gloats from the other side

...think Monty Python.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

escapemcp

#5 Post by escapemcp »

So this is why I saw a post of FB by DBX saying that they were dropping the price of the PA+

If anyone in the UK is after a DBX PA+ for about £150, I think I know where to get one from (via FB again - the rig re-sale group). It probably won't be about for long, so let me know (or go and find that FB group yourself) :)

byacey

#6 Post by byacey »

Charles Jenkinson wrote: It's hot in DSP hell, with a :cussing: (rhymes with 'pitty') manual
And Behringer gloats from the other side.
What's better, a clear, easy to read manual for a piece of gear that up and dies on you, or a piece of gear that takes some time for familiarization, but continues to work?

I suppose you could use the well written Behringer manual for toilet paper after the DCX dies.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

escapemcp

#7 Post by escapemcp »

+1 on Berry well written manuals... now if only they took that much time and effort with their soldering!! :loler:

Saddle

#8 Post by Saddle »

I just bought my PA+ 3 weeks ago. Haven't even racked it yet!!

This has 8 band auto-PEQ. Plus the network connectivity and app based control. Dang!

:chainsaw: :wall:
1x16 T39 - BP102 Almost Done!

Planned:
1x16 T39
Wedgehorn 6's
Pair Otop 12's

Saddle

#9 Post by Saddle »

Saddle wrote:I just bought my PA+ 3 weeks ago. Haven't even racked it yet!!

This has 8 band auto-PEQ. Plus the network connectivity and app based control. Dang!

:chainsaw: :wall:

I sure like dealing with Sweetwater... Sending my PA+ back and getting the PA2. That's going to be fun! :hyper:

Planned:
1x16 T39
Wedgehorn 6's
Pair Otop 12's

MisterB

#10 Post by MisterB »

If it makes anyone feel better, I dropped a chunk of change on a plain old used DBX Driverack PA (no plus) just month or two ago. It certainly cost less than a new PA+ but now has been further outdated by this recent development.

If you have the PA+ and wish you had the PA2, you can think to yourself... "At least I'm not that guy with the plain old PA."
12" autotuba

Pair of O-Top 12s with Delta Pros

Michael Murphy

#11 Post by Michael Murphy »

MisterB wrote: "At least I'm not that guy with the plain old PA."
I feel a little better now. :|

Bruce Weldy

#12 Post by Bruce Weldy »

MisterB wrote:If it makes anyone feel better, I dropped a chunk of change on a plain old used DBX Driverack PA (no plus) just month or two ago. It certainly cost less than a new PA+ but now has been further outdated by this recent development.

If you have the PA+ and wish you had the PA2, you can think to yourself... "At least I'm not that guy with the plain old PA."
The only thing that I like more about the + (I've got both) is that the Auto EQ is much faster on the +. Otherwise, they do the same thing.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Saddle

#13 Post by Saddle »

My pa2 shipped today. I'LL report my findings after I get it and play with it a while.

Planned:
1x16 T39
Wedgehorn 6's
Pair Otop 12's

ripNdeb

#14 Post by ripNdeb »

Still no stereo + sub inputs :( Does DBX make such a thing?
2X OTop 112, 3012HO, melded - 2X T39, 27", Lab 12 - XF 212 - 4 DR250, 2 melded, 2 straight
2 20" T39 3012LF - WH10 - WH8 - in the shop - 2 more 20" T39s
http://saltandlighteureka.org still need a trailer :)

BrentEvans

#15 Post by BrentEvans »

ripNdeb wrote:Still no stereo + sub inputs :( Does DBX make such a thing?
Not at a reasonable price point. You have to go up to the Driverack 4800, which is stupid expensive.

Ashly 3.6sp is the most reasonable one on the market that doesn't bear the ugly yellow triangle. The EQ in it is a bit limited, but it's enough to smooth out your system. Just plan on having something else for feedback control.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.