Speaking of Carvin...

The hows and whys of running sound.
Greg Plouvier

Speaking of Carvin...

#1 Post by Greg Plouvier »

Anyone have any hands on with the XD88?
Greg Plouvier
http://www.magnumcaseworks.com
Protective casing, speaker cabinets, Colorado BF builder, A/V installation, sales, live sound

Haysus

Re: Speaking of Carvin...

#2 Post by Haysus »

I have been looking at that since they announced it. Very few reviews on the web but what I found was alot of DOA's and no real world use to offer a solid review. Check Carvins forum.

4 20" T39(built)
2 WH8(built)
3 WH10(own)
4 DR200(own)

1 Jack 12(built)
SAC 24 Channel Mixer
SAW STUDIO Recording

biodad

#3 Post by biodad »

greetings
i've used this for about a year. love it. 8 ins, 8 outs. 8 - 30 band graphics, 8 channels each with 4 parametrics, RTA, brickwall limiter, front panel has the 30 band EQ up or down adjustment buttons, X over with high pass, low pass, never a problem. i wont trust behringer.

new DBX product i own had problems. didnt want to limit myself to just 3 inputs. carvin amps are very reliable too from my experience. i work some huge comedy clubs and ballrooms and sometimes have to really pound.
8 channels in & out is enough for FOH + sub mixing if needed.
i think they give you 10 or so days to decide if you like it or send it back. i could leave my mixer home with this thing. support is great.

Haysus

#4 Post by Haysus »

biodad wrote:greetings
i've used this for about a year. love it. 8 ins, 8 outs. 8 - 30 band graphics, 8 channels each with 4 parametrics, RTA, brickwall limiter, front panel has the 30 band EQ up or down adjustment buttons, X over with high pass, low pass, never a problem. i wont trust behringer.

new DBX product i own had problems. didnt want to limit myself to just 3 inputs. carvin amps are very reliable too from my experience. i work some huge comedy clubs and ballrooms and sometimes have to really pound.
8 channels in & out is enough for FOH + sub mixing if needed.
i think they give you 10 or so days to decide if you like it or send it back. i could leave my mixer home with this thing. support is great.
That is the first good review of Carvins pro audio I have ever heard. I bought a Carvin 4 channel digital amp for monitor duty and was very surprised at the cost to quality ratio for my needs.

4 channels, 2 rack space, 15 Lbs.. Plenty of juice for Bills wedges. 9 months in and still very happy with the caveat they do not handle clipping in the slightest. I use SAC for the processing.

4 20" T39(built)
2 WH8(built)
3 WH10(own)
4 DR200(own)

1 Jack 12(built)
SAC 24 Channel Mixer
SAW STUDIO Recording

biodad

#5 Post by biodad »

greetings
not trying to argue but i've clipped the crap out of an older carvin amp on purpose and it's still pounding.
the only fear about buying carvin is that you send it to california for repairs. if it is out of warranty, you have the schematic and any good local repair service can change out parts. i've had crowns and qsc's poop out on me so nothing is gold.
i own 5 carvins amps right now, getting rid of the two 26 pounders. too heavy now days.

carvin had a qsc and a macro or micro tech for sale on some sight and i inquired as to why they had them, the tech said something like they were checking them out? carvin makes great amps. may whoever builds your next amp do it to excellence with the best components

Tom O'Shea

#6 Post by Tom O'Shea »

Carvin XD88 is now discontinued (I just got off the phone with them). A different piece of gear will be available sometime this summer.
Tom O'Shea
Authorized Builder
Auburn, AL USA

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Carvin, like Peavey, gets a mostly undeserved bad rap based on their prices. They both do make some crap, but also some very worthy gear.

David Carter

#8 Post by David Carter »

Only Carvin gear I've ever owned was a B800 bass head, but that was one sweet head! I would buy it again in a heartbeat if I ever needed one!
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

doncolga

#9 Post by doncolga »

Tom O'Shea wrote:Carvin XD88 is now discontinued (I just got off the phone with them). A different piece of gear will be available sometime this summer.
Wow...off the web site too. The idea of that thing looks really nice.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW