New DSP Amplifier from Minidsp!

The hows and whys of running sound.
DJ Funke

Re: New DSP Amplifier from Minidsp!

#16 Post by DJ Funke »

The company is in Hong Kong. They are merely indicating that the price is listed in AMERICAN MONEY. Give the nice Chinese folk a break.

BrentEvans

#17 Post by BrentEvans »

DJ Funke wrote:The company is in Hong Kong. They are merely indicating that the price is listed in AMERICAN MONEY. Give the nice Chinese folk a break.

Try adding two to the cart and see what you get.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

jjohnson

#18 Post by jjohnson »

From the checkout screen:

Code: Select all

PWR-DSP3
Audio Video Bridging Support (AVB): Disabled               200-003       US$1 299.0        1       US$1 299.0

Subtotal:                                                                                          US$1 299.0
Shipping and Handling Fee:                                                                         US$25.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total:                                                                                             US$1 324.0
The space between the 1 and the 299 and single digit decimal is a regional formatting error. They format it like they are used to - just like half of Europe uses a decimal instead of a comma. So in Hong Kong it's US$1 299.0 in Europe it's US$ 1.299.00 and of course for us it's US$ 1,299.00.

Edited to fix formatting.
Built: 2 T48 24" 3015LF, 2 DR250 2510
Planned: 4 T48 18" 3015LF, 4 DR250 2510

DJ Funke

#19 Post by DJ Funke »

Nooooooooooooooooooo! :cry:

Sorry guys.

DJ Funke

#20 Post by DJ Funke »

Looks like it's minidsp and heavy amplifiers for me for a while.

SeisTres

#21 Post by SeisTres »

DJ Funke wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooo! :cry:

Sorry guys.
No worries. Just be glad you didn't click the "complete order" button as that "1" was definitely going to show up in your bank statement. :broke:
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

jjohnson

#22 Post by jjohnson »

DJ Funke wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooo! :cry:

Sorry guys.
Yeah - I was thinking the same thing until I noticed the "1". I'm still considering the MiniDSP.

SeisTres

#23 Post by SeisTres »

jjohnson wrote: Yeah - I was thinking the same thing until I noticed the "1". I'm still considering the MiniDSP.
What are you running right now and what were you thinking about getting?
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

jjohnson

#24 Post by jjohnson »

SeisTres wrote:
jjohnson wrote: Yeah - I was thinking the same thing until I noticed the "1". I'm still considering the MiniDSP.
What are you running right now and what were you thinking about getting?
My main system is running a deq/dcx setup. I was considering a plate or kit amp for a small system, a copy of the peavey triflex. I'm mocking up the speakers this week out of cardboard to determine the smallest size/bang for the buck. I wanted it to be self contained and simple to operate. Mount a couple of pc boards inside and have a couple of connectors for input & speakers and you're all set. Thing is for 1299 I can get a full size amp and processors but that is overkill for this project and is too much money.

BassMe

#25 Post by BassMe »

JJ,

I am personally looking at a miniDSP + miniDIGI combined with 3 Tripath amps L/R/Sub (not pro just home use). I know you will be looking at a bit more power than I am considering, but you can find class D's that have quite a lot of power. By adding in the miniDIGI you can run S/PDIF input signal to the miniDSP and let it act as both the DSP and DAC. Just make sure you match output power from the DSP to input requirements for the amps (has 0.9v output). Or buy the balanced version which puts out 2.0v. With this setup you could end up with 1 Box and a Laptop on top which would allow for digital signal input and on the fly customization of EQ/Crossovers etc etc. Using SMPS it would be a bit lighter too i think. Your essentially building the same thing as this plate amp but for cheaper and less integration.

jjohnson

#26 Post by jjohnson »

BassMe wrote:JJ,

I am personally looking at a miniDSP + miniDIGI combined with 3 Tripath amps L/R/Sub (not pro just home use). I know you will be looking at a bit more power than I am considering, but you can find class D's that have quite a lot of power. By adding in the miniDIGI you can run S/PDIF input signal to the miniDSP and let it act as both the DSP and DAC. Just make sure you match output power from the DSP to input requirements for the amps (has 0.9v output). Or buy the balanced version which puts out 2.0v. With this setup you could end up with 1 Box and a Laptop on top which would allow for digital signal input and on the fly customization of EQ/Crossovers etc etc. Using SMPS it would be a bit lighter too i think. Your essentially building the same thing as this plate amp but for cheaper and less integration.
I was thinking of using the balanced version but it would depend on the amp. I'm definitely considering a class D amp, even if I threw a full pro amp like the Peavey IPR on the side it would only add about 7 lbs to the package. Good to know about the miniDIGI though. I really like the crossover/eq on the fly options - might find some other areas where I can use it.

SeisTres

#27 Post by SeisTres »

Yeah, I agree with bassme. If you want something that is as portable as possible and to be simple and cheap, you might have to go DIY on the amps, too. Just take the minidsp with the diy amps and mount them all a little compartment built right into the sub. Then, just add two xlr jacks and two speakon to run the tops.

However, once all this is said and done, this would be very similar to adding the compartment to the subs and installing an xti. Probably the only difference would be that the setup would have to always run mono and less DIY involved, so it just depends on you preference.

As for the most bang for the buck in a (relatively) small packspace, the t39 with 3012 (if it stayed the same price) is hands down your winner. Slim's with 10's or cheaper 12 drivers will not match it and neither will the tubas. The only thing that will compete with it seems to the t18 if the drivers are on sale. They can, you say? Sure, extension is similar, therefore packspace is roughly equal. But what this means in real life terms is that to match the output of a single t39 you would need four of the little guys. Have I mentioned that an 18" t18 takes the same amount of time/effort as a 16" t39?