It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:56 am
Posts: 3
I am building 1x12 and 2x12 Simplex cabs for Bass Guitar. Would like to Run both at same time if possible.
The 1x12 will be 8 ohm Cab and the 2x12 will be 16ohms (wired in Series).
The difference in the cab has started me thinking about difference in volume between the cabs.
If I run them both at once in Parallel will the 8ohm 1x12 cab be louder as it will receive more power?
Less resistance = more current.
I could just run the 2x12 at most gigs but having the 1x12 also would be useful to direct sound to the drummer.
If its a bad idea to use both cabs at the same time I will just wire the 2x12 in parallel as a 4ohm Cab.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 am
Posts: 5577
Location: Ilfracombe Queensland Australia
With the 2 cabs in parallel the 2 x 12 will be louder, it has twice the radiating surface/speakers. In fact, the 2 x 12 will be 6dB louder.

If you run both cabs in parallel, with one cab at 8 ohms and 1 at 16 ohms, the overall impedance will be 5.33 ohms. Most amps will handle that.

I have to ask this question as a drummer though, can't your drummer hear your bass rig?
Adding another cab to your rig to aim at the drummer simply raises the stage noise level...

_________________
Built:
2 x DR 250 (melded array) with March 2012 plans.
4 x 20" BP102 T39's, 2 x 28" 3012lf loaded underway.
3 x WH8 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 25535
If you have a 16 ohm 212 and an 8 ohm 112 the 112 will get twice the power that the 212 does. That's a very bad idea. Two 112 stacked, the lower cab aimed at the drummer and the upper cab at you, is a sensible arrangement.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:56 am
Posts: 3
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
If you have a 16 ohm 212 and an 8 ohm 112 the 112 will get twice the power that the 212 does. That's a very bad idea. Two 112 stacked, the lower cab aimed at the drummer and the upper cab at you, is a sensible arrangement.

Thanks Bill. That's the advice I needed and will follow. I am a little confused when I see the SLA PRO plans where a 4x6 can be stacked on a 2x6 which would have a similar situation with the ohms of the cabs. I am guessing there is a different reason it works for the SLA pros as its for a different application where the 4x6 could be louder to reach the far audience. Would be great if you you could explain as I wish to build SLA pros as well.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 25535
aussiefreebird wrote:
I am a little confused when I see the SLA PRO plans where a 4x6 can be stacked on a 2x6 which would have a similar situation with the ohms of the cabs.
It's not similar. A 2x6 cab has the woofers wired in series, for a 16 ohm load. A 4x6 cab is wired series/parallel, for an 8 ohm load. Paired the total load is 5.3 ohms, with every driver receiving the same power.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:56 am
Posts: 3
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
aussiefreebird wrote:
I am a little confused when I see the SLA PRO plans where a 4x6 can be stacked on a 2x6 which would have a similar situation with the ohms of the cabs.
It's not similar. A 2x6 cab has the woofers wired in series, for a 16 ohm load. A 4x6 cab is wired series/parallel, for an 8 ohm load. Paired the total load is 5.3 ohms, with every driver receiving the same power.

Thanks Bill. I like to understand how things work and now it makes sense after your explanation.
Time to continue speaker building! Plans are excellent by the way.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
banner
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited