Simplexx 110 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Das Jugghead

Simplexx 110 Build

#1 Post by Das Jugghead »

Hello fellow BFM'ers. After stumbling upon the BFM website nearly a year ago and drooling over various designs for bass cabinets I finally pulled the trigger. Actually, to be more accurate, my wife pulled the trigger by ordering several designs for my birthday. I have decided to start off building a series of Simlpexx 110's in order to make use of some BP102's I had salvaged from a Hartke 410 re-speaker project.

After reading and heeding Bill's caveats regarding the use of plywood versus true Baltic Birch I discovered I could order 9 ply Baltic Birch through my local Menards. I must confess some amount of concern in placing a special order through a box store for a product that had to be shipped. In the end I told myself if it arrived damaged I would refuse delivery. It bears worth noting that the guys at Menards had no idea what true Baltic Birch was and they initially directed me down the plywood aisle. It took a fair amount of calm reasoning to get them to understand what I was after and to get them to look at their online products. A week later I received an email informing me that my order had arrived and that I could pick it up. I was excited until I read that it was somewhere in Ohio - I live in Indiana. Over the course of several more visits to Menards to argue the insanity of having to drive to Ohio to pick up my special order I finally got a manager to listen to me. Turns out that the employee who took the order clicked the wrong box and instead of having my order delivered to my store he clicked "deliver to Distribution Center." Three days later I had my Baltic Birch. I was very pleasantly surprised at how it was wrapped for shipping. It arrived in perfect condition having been sandwiched between two sheets of particle board, wrapped in heavy duty shipping wrap, and banded with sleepers.

So begins my story of my Simplexx build. I am actually about halfway through it and will begin posting pictures of the process. I look forward to feedback from the members here and to building more cabinets as I work my way though the plans my wife bought for me.
Last edited by Das Jugghead on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Smit

Re: Simplexx 110 Build

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

:clap:
Enjoy your build!
TomS

Das Jugghead

#3 Post by Das Jugghead »

Tom Smit wrote::clap:
Enjoy your build!
Hey Tom thanks!

Here is the sheet of Baltic Birch when I got it home from Menards
IMG_7195.jpg
IMG_7197.jpg
IMG_7198.jpg

Das Jugghead

#4 Post by Das Jugghead »

Cut all the pieces
IMG_7222 (1).jpg

Das Jugghead

#5 Post by Das Jugghead »

Panel weight for a single S110 came in at 17.2 pounds:
IMG_7228.jpg
And with a BP102 it came to 24.6 pounds:
IMG_7229.jpg
IMG_7230.jpg

chrisj360

#6 Post by chrisj360 »

Looks like you're off to a good start. Keep the story & pics coming. :)
2 x 21" T30's with Lab12's
2 x 28" T30's with Lab12's
2 x OTop12 with Deltalite 2512

Chris_Allen

#7 Post by Chris_Allen »

I never thought of weighing my cabs like that, but then again, I cut as I go.

Should be a good thread. Keep the pics coming.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Das Jugghead

#8 Post by Das Jugghead »

Gluing up the sides. I was not comfortable screwing the flat jigs into the cabinet so I used wax paper and C-clamps along with some finish nails to hold the panels in place. I removed the C-clamps as soon as I had the panels in place with the finish nails and left the bar clamps on for twenty-four hours.
IMG_7237.jpg
Second cabinet in process:
IMG_7243.jpg

Das Jugghead

#9 Post by Das Jugghead »

Chris_Allen wrote:I never thought of weighing my cabs like that, but then again, I cut as I go.

Should be a good thread. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks - will do.

chrisj360 wrote:Looks like you're off to a good start. Keep the story & pics coming. :)
Copy that - will do.

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Next time, build you some of these......the only way to go when squaring up a corner....
052410 Subs2.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Das Jugghead

#11 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bruce Weldy wrote:Next time, build you some of these......the only way to go when squaring up a corner....
052410 Subs2.JPG
Very cool!

Das Jugghead

#12 Post by Das Jugghead »

Cutting the angles on the baffle for the vent ports. I made a simple miter sled for my table saw out of scrap wood. The miter fence was set into place using my speed square and secured with clamps and the amazing PL.
IMG_7263.jpg

Das Jugghead

#13 Post by Das Jugghead »

Test fitting the baffle. I will probably run this through the table saw and take just a hair off all four edges so that it fits a little easier and does not scrape off the PL during installation. Before anyone gets too excited here yes - the baffle sets further in. This was just a dry test fit for a photo op.

Presently making a jig for my router so I can make the speaker hole cut out and hope to have that done today.
IMG_7264.jpg

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I've been looking at the plans for this box because I'm thinking about building a couple.....seems to me that I'd install the baffle as I'm building the box instead of trying to fit it in later. If you measure and cut properly, that would be much easier. I'm sure the plans are the way they are to make it more of a "cut to fit" situation for the baffle for those with less precise tools.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Das Jugghead

#15 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bruce Weldy wrote:I've been looking at the plans for this box because I'm thinking about building a couple.....seems to me that I'd install the baffle as I'm building the box instead of trying to fit it in later. If you measure and cut properly, that would be much easier. I'm sure the plans are the way they are to make it more of a "cut to fit" situation for the baffle for those with less precise tools.
You know the same thought crossed my mind as well. I thought about assembling two sides and the baffle and then adding the last two sides. Maybe if I build another set I will try that approach.