Making a pair of TAT....

Post your build odyssey here.
Padde298

Re: Making a pair of TAT....

#16 Post by Padde298 »

Hi 88.
Not saying that I have had a problem with it. Just saying that it differs from the general description of PL. I have not done the leak test of the cabs yet. I suppose it will show me if I have any issues with "this version" of PL.
More bass, more bass! :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

2 x TAT

Padde298

#17 Post by Padde298 »

bitSmasher wrote:Sound bike?
Really keen to see pics of the bike - I'm guessing it's a dutch trike to carry subs that big
Yep! For the Sound Bike! The bike will be a trike type, with a rather large cargo platform! Decided to make the speakers first, -then the bike... Kind of makes sence as the bike would be difficult to "adjust" if the speakers turned out different to the initial plan!

2 x TAT

88h88

#18 Post by 88h88 »

Padde298 wrote:Hi 88.
Not saying that I have had a problem with it. Just saying that it differs from the general description of PL. I have not done the leak test of the cabs yet. I suppose it will show me if I have any issues with "this version" of PL.
As long as you've used plenty you'll be good! I've done 5 subs and 4 tops with it over the years and had zero problems with leaks.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Padde298

#19 Post by Padde298 »

#tailgating :o :o :o :o
Next step: painting and hard ware...
(and NO, they are not going to be used in a car, even though they are Auto Tubas) :D :D :D
Attachments
2017-10-25 19.58.13.jpg

2 x TAT

Padde298

#20 Post by Padde298 »

Wow! I just have to post this RIGHT NOW! Finally got the first cab done with driver, cover and Speacon... Tried to run it via my DCX 2496, but no signal to the amp! Tried everything with no luck!
In desperation to hear the result of my effort, I took the second amp rack with just a standard x-over (so no limiter) and still a T-amp 4*1300.
I WAS BLOWN AWAY! My God that little 8" rocked the entire basement, first AND second floor of the house! WOW!!!
I will post pictures tomorrow to show the latest progress of the build...
But I never expected to get this kind of output from a single 8"!!!
All hail to Bill... I'm not worthy!

2 x TAT

Grant Bunter

#21 Post by Grant Bunter »

Padde298 wrote:Wow! I just have to post this RIGHT NOW! Finally got the first cab done with driver, cover and Speacon... Tried to run it via my DCX 2496, but no signal to the amp! Tried everything with no luck!
In desperation to hear the result of my effort, I took the second amp rack with just a standard x-over (so no limiter) and still a T-amp 4*1300.
I WAS BLOWN AWAY! My God that little 8" rocked the entire basement, first AND second floor of the house! WOW!!!
I will post pictures tomorrow to show the latest progress of the build...
But I never expected to get this kind of output from a single 8"!!!
All hail to Bill... I'm not worthy!
Yay!

With your DCX2496, the power up default is to mute all inputs and outputs (you can change that in settings, I think it is), but after power up, hit the mute button and then the inputs ABC buttons and outputs 1-6 buttons, red lights should go out. Hit mute button again...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Padde298

#22 Post by Padde298 »

Will try that. Thanks Grant!

2 x TAT

Padde298

#23 Post by Padde298 »

Latest pictures from build of the first of the pair...
Attachments
20171028_181252.jpg
20171028_182016.jpg
20171029_100239.jpg
20171029_104224.jpg
20171029_153712.jpg

2 x TAT

Padde298

#24 Post by Padde298 »

Fitting the driver with a steel ring...
Attachments
20171028_161740.jpg
20171028_161755.jpg
20171028_161821.jpg
20171028_172842.jpg
20171028_172904.jpg

2 x TAT

bitSmasher

#25 Post by bitSmasher »

Reeaaallllly curious about this build now.
I have a Yuba Mundo that can take reasonably sized boxes, though the AT/TAT might be pushing limits. Looking for cheap drivers to play around with now :wink:

2 points to note, that work in your favour - the measured response *on the front page* is in-car with cabin gain boosting the low end... But, outdoors for portable battery-powered sound the "boom" you want is 70hz+ where this box seems to be very efficient. Could work well for you! Keen to get feedback on performance for the specific use of bike sound
:feedback:
(*edit*: outdoor response here- http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... =12&t=4420 looks like it'd kick hard)

Padde298

#26 Post by Padde298 »

bitSmasher wrote:But, outdoors for portable battery-powered sound the "boom" you want is 70hz+ where this box seems to be very efficient.
Why do you say that it is 70 Hz+ is where it all matters outdoor..? I am really impressed how low it goes right now. But YES, if one kan set the hi pass filter to 60 Hz, then it will be even more amazing when not dealing with the siganl below 60 Hz!

2 x TAT

Padde298

#27 Post by Padde298 »

Well, the day for the first "gig" arrived... It was more like a party (12½ years wedding anniversary) for 60 -ish people. I was invited (with speakers AND wife), but unfortunately I was already invited to another event. That didn't mean that the speakers couldn't go. :lol: The party was in the same facility where I had made the speakers (only in the other end of the building, and NOT in the work shop :bash: ), and the room was around 2.000 sqr feet (200 m2). Surely the TAT's would have to work HARD to fill the room with bass...!
So I did the set up Saturday afternoon, and dialed in the DCX to meet the specifications of the VIFA driver in the TAT's. Wanted to protect the small woofers to the best of my possibilities, I set a HP to 40 Hz 48 dB/oct. Made the x-over point at 100 Hz 24 dB/oct. This should give them something to do, but still protect them pretty good if some drunk idiot messed up the faders on the mixer...
Placed the cabs next to each other as close to the wall as possible, and turned up the volume! THEY SOUND NICE!!! :noob:
Moving them around a bit, turning them towards the wall, stacking them and laying them on the side, I didn't notice any big change in the way they performed; a very precise tight bass, which due to the 40 Hz HP, didn't go too deep, but still deep enough to match any vented cab with the same drivers!
The output however was impressive..!!! Having some 1.200 watts in the amp to get the juices flowing, there was never a lack of control from that department, so when the "compression" from the cabs started to be noticeable, the amp was still running on app. -20 dB.
After an hour or so, trying different things and set ups, I decided that it would have to do for this first set up. The sound pressure I have had during the test, was surely quite a bit higher that it would be during the party later that day.
Driving home I noticed that I had this familiar feeling in my ears after you have been subjected to a high sound pressure with no distortion for a while, and then suddenly all sound is muted... Like being "a little numb in the ears" - kind of feeling. (?) Guess the sound level was quite a bit higher than I had expected..?

The tops are not BFM design (sadly! Love the compact SLA PRO PA TOP), so I will not get in to much details there. Just mention that they can take quite a heavier beating than the "small" TAT, which are not intended for this (ab-)use. :wink:

Next on the TODO-list is finish and pimping with RGB LEDs to make them the ultimate "Party Pack". :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
2017-11-03 16.56.55.jpg
2017-11-03 16.56.46.jpg
2017-11-03 16.57.02.jpg

2 x TAT

Padde298

#28 Post by Padde298 »

Grant Bunter wrote:With your DCX2496, the power up default is to mute all inputs and outputs (you can change that in settings, I think it is), but after power up, hit the mute button and then the inputs ABC buttons and outputs 1-6 buttons, red lights should go out. Hit mute button again...
That was exactly what was wrong Grant! Thanks for the clue..! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 x TAT

Padde298

#29 Post by Padde298 »

Having seen all the good experiences with V-plates, I am wondering if it could be an idea to try with the TATs, using them the way I do? Is it "just" a plate in 90°, or is there a "higher science" behind it? Anyone keen to give a suggestion to how they could look? :clap:
I have some spare material laying around, so why not give it a shot..?

2 x TAT

Tom Smit

#30 Post by Tom Smit »

You could try a V-plate; make sure the cabs are 90 degrees to each other. Also, make the mouth(s) face the wall to eliminate cancellation around ~100 hz.
TomS