Jack 12 build - pics - tips and questions

Post your build odyssey here.
jimnto

Jack 12 build - pics - tips and questions

#1 Post by jimnto »

First - a question. I cut my top and bottom ports (8"x1" instead of 8"x1 1/2" both top and bottom of baffle board) too small by 1/2" I think they should be 1 1/2 and I only cut them 1".
Is that a big deal??

Ok - a tip and a question. As you can see in the pics, I installed the braces for a flat tweeter array. Before I fixed them in place - I should have plopped my tweeter array on top. As is - my array will stick outa 1/16"
Likewise I didn't get the cabinet together completely square. My back hatch was skewed about a 1/16" in two directions. I think next time I will temporarily put the back on (maybe after erecting the baffle onto the bottom) so when I glue the top and sides - they will be square.

Pics - If one looks carefully they can see unpainted wood peeking from behind the grill. I might paint some of the internal parts before putting together.

My speaker is a beta 12 and it is already broken in. I have glued the 8 piezo array (my plastic cement failed so I used plumbers ABS cement and that was quick and strong (although it don't look nice where I overglued).

I live in Toronto and I am thinking of supplying flatpacks to Canadians. Gotta see what it sounds like first :-)
https://sites.google.com/view/jnielsen Please click the link - I can't make the images appear here.

alexk

Re: Jack 12 build - pics - tips and questions

#2 Post by alexk »

Link doesn't work - you need to set your site to public.

88h88

#3 Post by 88h88 »

jimnto wrote:I am thinking of supplying flatpacks to Canadians.
I see a few issues with this...
jimnto wrote:First - a question. I cut my top and bottom ports (8"x1" instead of 8"x1 1/2" both top and bottom of baffle board) too small by 1/2" I think they should be 1 1/2 and I only cut them 1".

Ok - a tip and a question. As you can see in the pics, I installed the braces for a flat tweeter array. Before I fixed them in place - I should have plopped my tweeter array on top. As is - my array will stick outa 1/16"

Likewise I didn't get the cabinet together completely square. My back hatch was skewed about a 1/16" in two directions. I think next time I will temporarily put the back on (maybe after erecting the baffle onto the bottom) so when I glue the top and sides - they will be square.
You might want to work on your accuracy in following plans before you think about selling pre-cut flat packs to people.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

jimnto wrote: I cut my top and bottom ports (8"x1" instead of 8"x1 1/2" both top and bottom of baffle board) too small by 1/2" I think they should be 1 1/2 and I only cut them 1".
Is that a big deal??
It is. Cabinet dimensions aren't optional, they're mandatory.

jimnto

#5 Post by jimnto »

88h88 wrote:
jimnto wrote:I am thinking of supplying flatpacks to Canadians.
I see a few issues with this...(Well please share - that is why I am posting on the forum)
jimnto wrote:First - a question. I cut my top and bottom ports (8"x1" instead of 8"x1 1/2" both top and bottom of baffle board) too small by 1/2" I think they should be 1 1/2 and I only cut them 1".

You might want to work on your accuracy in following plans before you think about selling pre-cut flat packs to people.
Thank you - It was the first time I had created a file for a CNC cutter. The directions are somewhat challenging as the dimensions are spread between two options of baffle board. some dimensions are on one, some are on the other. but I will enlarge the ports before I finish the cabinet.