#47 Post by Preston »

Newborns!
Attachments
New Borns.jpg
New Borns.jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

Preston

Re: WH10 build started

#48 Post by Preston »

What's the best way to attach the BFM logo to the grills? I though maybe a little hot glue would work, or just drive a couple small screws through them into the frame?

Bruce Weldy

#49 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Your boxes look very nice.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

#50 Post by Grant Bunter »

Preston wrote:What's the best way to attach the BFM logo to the grills? I though maybe a little hot glue would work, or just drive a couple small screws through them into the frame?
I attached aluminium plate to my grille, as a surface to mount the logo's to.
See here:
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 6&start=45
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Preston

#51 Post by Preston »

BTW: Can anybody tell me how a WH8 build compares to WH10? I assume it would be about the same difficulty and time, just with a smaller result?

Grant Bunter

#52 Post by Grant Bunter »

Preston wrote:BTW: Can anybody tell me how a WH8 build compares to WH10? I assume it would be about the same difficulty and time, just with a smaller result?
The WH8 isn't designed to handle bottom end, ie kick drum, left hand of keys, and bass. The WH10 can...
Built:

Preston

#53 Post by Preston »

Yes, I'm aware of that. As it would happen, I just booked a gig to run sound for a band and they requested 6 wedges. In these situations most people will not actually need the low end, so I'm considering some smaller wedges for my next build. I do have a few powered plastic boxes I can use in the meantime, just looking down the road.

Grant Bunter

#54 Post by Grant Bunter »

Preston wrote:Yes, I'm aware of that. As it would happen, I just booked a gig to run sound for a band and they requested 6 wedges. In these situations most people will not actually need the low end, so I'm considering some smaller wedges for my next build. I do have a few powered plastic boxes I can use in the meantime, just looking down the road.
OK. WH8's are fine for vocals, acoustic guitar etc etc. And you're right, bottom end should fill the stage from your subs.
Technically, WH8's and WH10's have differing phase response, which means they may not play well together. The same thing could be said for your WH10's and your plastic boxes.
In real life that may not actually be an issue, or, you could notice some frequency cancellations.

Try your plastic boxes with your WH10's, and, if frequency cancellation does present itself as an issue, then you will need to build all WH10's...
Built:

Preston

#55 Post by Preston »

Update: I was able to do some testing this weekend. Working outdoors, and with multiple reflective surfaces 20 ft or so and farther away, and a good amount of ambient summertime neighborhood noise. Just wanted to get a feel for what I was working with and rough in a base eq setting. All four WH10 worked perfectly and sound the same. Signal from a computer through Presonus 16.4.2 (no processing), each wedge then with an analogue 31 band graphic and one side of a crown XLS1000. Measurement mic on stand at ear level about where performer will be, DEQ2496 RTA.
I started with white noise and smoothed the response to almost flat, which was basically the inverse of the published response chart. Then I played some music and seasoned to taste. I found that I was rolling off most of the low end. They were sounding pretty good. Then I tried a little live singing (I had a helper). Vocals cut right through and can get loud enough to make one flinch without feedback. I sang through them myself and though they sounded a little "boxy", but I could certainly hear myself and they were clear and articulate. (note: I also set up a T48 + OT12 to use as mains. I figured I should check my limiters and eq for them as well while I was at it.) I'm not sure how other musicians will react to them with the current eq curve. I suspect that initially they will not really like what they hear, but after about 3 songs they will love how easily they can hear themselves. Nevertheless, I think a little EQ tweaking is still in order. They are loud, and the bass response is almost silly. The melded arrays are smooth and not harsh or overly bright. Incredible dispersion. They are not a small box. I did A/B them with the powered wedges I've been using for years. I've always gotten compliments on how the older wedges sounded and the available volume. The WH10's are clearly a step above what I've been using. The first real test will be a couple weeks with a live band. I'll post a review after.