Kyyul's Dual Tuba HT Build

Post your build odyssey here.
kyyul

#1 Post by kyyul »

There are many reasons why I chose this specific design to sink time and money into. This will be my first dive into DIY Audio and hopefully not my last. I have a lot of energetic and helpful people willing to help me build, wire, and tune these two beasts. With their help, your help, and my own strong will I plan on bringing two of these babies into the world.

I've been lurking the forums and many other places researching and absorbing information for a couple weeks now, and I'm ready to jump in. I have ordered my two drivers today. They are scheduled to arrive next week. I went with the recommended driver, the Dayton RSS390 HF4 driver. In the meantime I'm stuck out of town for work so not much else I can do other than oogle your build threads and hope that I'll have one of my own in the near future.

Nice to meet you all. I'm excited to join you here.

kyyul

Re: Kyyul's Dual Tuba HT Build

#2 Post by kyyul »

Amplification is another thing I need to figure out. Since I'm running two subs I am going to go for a dual channel amplifier. A couple choices I have narrowed it down to are the iNuke 1000, Behringer ep2000, and the Crown XLS 1002. Each are appealing in different aspects. It's going to be hard to narrow it down. I'll be running the subs out of the LFE outs on the back of my Marantz SR5010 receiver to make use of the Audyssey EQ and the general ease of incorporating everything into my set up.

I've seen most people running their THT's off 300 watt plate amps in all varying makes and models. These subs are extremely efficient so I won't need too much power. The Behringer is no slouch when it comes to raw power output. Yet the iNuke has the price advantage. Meanwhile the Crown is sitting there at 300 dollars with 350 watts @ 4ohms. But it's a brand I know and one that I actually work with day to day at work. So choices choices choices.

What are your thoughts on amplifiers in my situation?

Drey Chennells

#3 Post by Drey Chennells »

Whatever amp you go with (recommending crest prolite 2.0 dsp) get one with dsp as the small additional cost is a huge performance value even if you're using an advanced dsp receiver. Good luck and congrats on your plan, the THT is the best solution in it's category.
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

jimbo7

#4 Post by jimbo7 »

iNukes are noisy FYI
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

boostick4

#5 Post by boostick4 »

I run a single EP4000 (and DCX) on 4 THTs with the Dayton HF driver with great results.

Definitely do not skip the crossover/EQ.

Don't be afraid to run a larger amp than those plate amps, just limit it properly, and enjoy the headroom. It sounds great!

kyyul

#6 Post by kyyul »

Alright, I've narrowed it down to the Crown XLS1502 power amp. It's a good choice and ticks off all the DSP / Crossover boxes, plus it's a brand I'm unashamed to say I'm partial to. Gnabbed it on Amazon for 327 dollars. Great price/performance value.

DJPhatman

#7 Post by DJPhatman »

kyyul, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your choice of subs! :hyper:

I have to ask: how are you planning to use and deploy these subs? I'm hoping you understand that the THT is a HOME THEATRE sub, not very useful as a Pro sound sub. I don't mean to :horse: but...
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Radian

#8 Post by Radian »

DJPhatman wrote:I have to ask: how are you planning to use and deploy these subs? I'm hoping you understand that the THT is a HOME THEATRE sub, not very useful as a Pro sound sub. I don't mean to :horse: but...
See:
kyyul wrote:I'll be running the subs out of the LFE outs on the back of my Marantz SR5010 receiver to make use of the Audyssey EQ and the general ease of incorporating everything into my set up.
Reads like a HT install to me.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

kyyul

#9 Post by kyyul »

Radian wrote:
DJPhatman wrote:I have to ask: how are you planning to use and deploy these subs? I'm hoping you understand that the THT is a HOME THEATRE sub, not very useful as a Pro sound sub. I don't mean to :horse: but...
See:
kyyul wrote:I'll be running the subs out of the LFE outs on the back of my Marantz SR5010 receiver to make use of the Audyssey EQ and the general ease of incorporating everything into my set up.
Yup yup yup. Home theater all the way!

DJPhatman

#10 Post by DJPhatman »

Radian wrote:
See:
:bash: :slap: :oops: Well hit me with a feather and call me Shirley! :owned:

Mono input to your Crown amp. I would try running both subs from 1 channel. Double check to make sure there is no high pass filter built-in to the amp.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

kyyul

#11 Post by kyyul »

GUYS! Oh my goodness. In a hurried haste over the last weekend I quickly built my first TUBA HT! I figure it only took 14 hours between me and my father building it. Got it done in 3 days! Is that a new record? I only took a couple pictures of it, and haven't put a finish on it. I would have been updating this thread a lot more often if I had remembered my password and I wasn't so busy actually building my first THT.

I hooked that baby up and holy cow does she purr nice. 10/10 price to performance ratio! I had zero problems in the build phase because of the wonderful instructions and a whole lot of elbow grease. I only freaked out once and threw some ply across my driveway into the road, so HEY! that's a success.

I plan on building my second one here shortly, I have the wood and the tools out and renewed motivation after hearing what just one of them sounds like! Looking forward to the benefit of having the second one. I'll take more pictures and hopefully have a prettier post for you all to look at after that one is done. I'll upload the few pictures I have once I get off work.

Favorite things I've heard/watched with this sub:
1) TRON: Legacy - Light Cycle Scene
2) Master and Commander - Opening battle scene through the fog
3) Deadmau5

If you're on the fence on whether you should build one of these or not, just go for it! Measure twice cut once! I'll update soon.

Tom Smit

#12 Post by Tom Smit »

Cool! Glad you like it! :clap: But, haha, you're only half-way there. You still have to coat it. :shock: :lol: Have fun on your next one.
TomS

nack

#13 Post by nack »

kyyul wrote:Alright, I've narrowed it down to the Crown XLS1502 power amp. It's a good choice and ticks off all the DSP / Crossover boxes, plus it's a brand I'm unashamed to say I'm partial to. Gnabbed it on Amazon for 327 dollars. Great price/performance value.
I bought one at Guitar Center on Monday, then I saw that Amazon had them at 327. I went back to GC to ask for price matching and found out that the Amazon marketplace dealers with the 327 and 328 prices are not authorized dealers, but they did manage to find an authorized dealer that was selling at 305 and matched that instead. YMMV.

djamps

#14 Post by djamps »

Crown XLS is a silent amp, perfect for HT. It's fans don't kick in unless it's getting pushed really hard over a long period. Bought a stack of them for my church for this exact reason after researching on HT boards; as the previous stack of QSC's was a symphony of fans coming from the FOH booth.