Finally My TLAH R/L Build

Post your build odyssey here.
y2kindyz

Finally My TLAH R/L Build

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

Ok its been over 1 year since I got the go ahead to build speakers for my HT. I started out researching components and settled on the Goldwood GT-302 1/2" Mylar Dome Tweeter Part # 270-170 and GRS 5PF-8 5-1/4" Paper Cone Foam Surround Woofer Part # 292-405. I also purchased crossover components aswell.

So I ordered 35 tweeters and 28 woofers in Nov of 2015. Went to my local cabinet builder supply house and picked up come 1" x 12" Oak and 2 - 5' x 5' plywood. I was able to make some progress in Dec of 2015, then the new year started and they were put on hold till this year.

Here are some pics of progress last year

y2kindyz

Re: Finally My TLAH R/L Build

#2 Post by y2kindyz »

Fast forward to Dec. 2016 and I was able to make some more progress.

I decided to try my hand at ebonizing them. I used Solar-Lux NGR Dye Stain - Jet Black and OLD MASTERS 12204 Wip Stain, Spanish Oak. I like the results

This was just with the ink. Adding the stain filled in all the pours.

Then I finished them with several coats of Epifanes Clear Varnish

I am still trying to decide on wet sanding and rubbing them out more.

DJPhatman

#3 Post by DJPhatman »

y2kindyz wrote:I am still trying to decide on wet sanding and rubbing them out more.
Nice getting back to the build!

Might I suggest that you dry sand first, starting with 120 grit, then working your way up to 400 grit, before you go any further? While the plywood won't finish as well as the baffle-board, spending some time sanding the forward-facing pieces will yield a more stunning finish.

My question to you, do you plan on finishing with a poly top-coat? :?:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

y2kindyz

#4 Post by y2kindyz »

Ok so I am getting ready to start install the speakers and I am having trouble installing the tweeters. It seems that I didn't leave much room to pre-drill holes for the tweeters on the outside of the box after I installed the boards to hold the back. Hind sight, I should have pre-drilled them after I tool the Picture.

If I hot glue the tweeters in place, would using the hot glue and only 2 screws be enough to hold them in place?

DJPhatman

#5 Post by DJPhatman »

Can you widen the holes enough to mount the tweeters to the front face?

Also, make sure you wire up and test all the tweeters together before you install them.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

y2kindyz wrote: It seems that I didn't leave much room to pre-drill holes for the tweeters on the outside of the box after I installed the boards to hold the back.

Just get a long drill bit and you can go right up against the side board and the drill will be out of the way.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

y2kindyz

#7 Post by y2kindyz »

DJPhatman wrote:
y2kindyz wrote:I am still trying to decide on wet sanding and rubbing them out more.
Nice getting back to the build!

Might I suggest that you dry sand first, starting with 120 grit, then working your way up to 400 grit, before you go any further? While the plywood won't finish as well as the baffle-board, spending some time sanding the forward-facing pieces will yield a more stunning finish.

My question to you, do you plan on finishing with a poly top-coat? :?:
I applied several coats of the Epifanes Clear Varnish as a top coat. I sanded with 400 between coats. I decided on it over a poly varnish as a finish just to try it out. I am happy with the results. I didn't want a total smooth glass finish, I still wanted to see and feel a bit of the grain. I will up load better pics of the finish now that I figured out how to post pics from mt Flickr account :hyper: :hyper:

y2kindyz

#8 Post by y2kindyz »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Just get a long drill bit and you can go right up against the side board and the drill will be out of the way.
I thought about drilling an 1/4" hole to give me access pre-drill and screw them in place. If I Glue them and hold with 2 screws I will need to be careful not to over tighten them because it will pull up the opposite side. I think that drilling an access hole will be the best way to go, better do it right than half-A$$ing it and not being embarrassed when one falls during Transformers or Act Of Valor.

y2kindyz

#9 Post by y2kindyz »

What is the best way to test the tweeters? Can I run a test tone straight from my phone to test them? Or do I need more power than that?

What about polarity? What is the best way to check if it is correct?

Thanks in advance,

Oscar

DJPhatman

#10 Post by DJPhatman »

y2kindyz wrote:What is the best way to test the tweeters? Can I run a test tone straight from my phone to test them? Or do I need more power than that?

What about polarity? What is the best way to check if it is correct?

Thanks in advance,

Oscar
I'm not sure if your phone will work. Most phone headphone jacks are high impedance (32 Ohm or higher) and might die if exposed to a low impedance load. Best to use a very small amp and plug your phone into it. Run sweeps or white/pink noise at frequencies above 4kHz. Add a second tweeter using 2 wires with alligator clips on the ends. If the noise gets louder, they are in parallel and in proper polarity.

y2kindyz

#11 Post by y2kindyz »

Ok I decided to just drill a small pilot hole at an angle and use some small screws to hold them inplace. It worked well enough for me.

Here is a pic of the crossover

All wiring done

Pillow cloud stuffed

First completed TLAH

Short video with the TLAH hooked up to my iPad. I can't wait to finish up the other speaker and try them with some real power.