My fourth BFM build. A set of Jack 12s with ASDs

Post your build odyssey here.
kenkenni

Re: My fourth BFM build. A set of Jack 12s with ASDs

#16 Post by kenkenni »

Mkulu what is that device in your pic and where to find information about it?

Mkulu

#17 Post by Mkulu »

kenkenni wrote:I've seen a few injury pics thats got me a little intimidated and being extra careful. Today I was cutting
the top and bottoms for the Jacks and left about maybe 2/16" of an inch on the sides and was about to
grab my router to flush cut to final size, but then realized now was a good time to get well acquainted
with danger. Adjusted the saw, set my board up, and then came the moment of truth. Pulled the power
button, held my breath and ran the boards down against the fence and made a perfect flush trim on all
pieces. Sorry no fingers to report missing as of yet. The saw was not as bad as thought it would be.
It ran smooth as butter and that was the quickest I repaired some edges in a while. I'll become more
comfortable with it over time.
The radial arm saw is a very necessary and useful tool of the trade, but is mainly used for cross cutting.
At least you are aware.

mpm32

#18 Post by mpm32 »

I had one. Just make sure you stand clear of the board being pushed through. I've had lumber come shooting out when ripping. Busted a window in my shop. Like any tool, as long as you are aware of the danger and prepare for every operation, you will be fine.

Most accidents happen on repetitive cuts, like when you have a stack of 30 pieces and they all need to be cut.
https://www.facebook.com/CharlieDontSurfCT/

2-DR250
2-Wedgehorn 8
2-16" T39

Bruce Weldy

#19 Post by Bruce Weldy »

mpm32 wrote:I had one. Just make sure you stand clear of the board being pushed through. I've had lumber come shooting out when ripping. Busted a window in my shop. Like any tool, as long as you are aware of the danger and prepare for every operation, you will be fine.

Most accidents happen on repetitive cuts, like when you have a stack of 30 pieces and they all need to be cut.
While they used to advertise that you can rip on a radial arm saw, it has to be the dumbest idea to actually implement.

Like the old adage.....just cuz ya' can, don't mean ya' should.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kenkenni

#20 Post by kenkenni »

Just a couple of pics today. Got off work kinda late so couldn't get much done.

Oh, Look! Real Russian Baltic Birch. Can you count the layers?

The Welcome Party. Sitting all proud.

NukePooch

#21 Post by NukePooch »

kenkenni wrote:Mkulu what is that device in your pic and where to find information about it?
It's a 'handheld CNC' router.

Probably the most well known is the Shaper Origin. Interesting technology. Not cheap. You also have to stick the special tape down on every workpiece so that the tool knows where it's at. I'd probably rather just have a normal CNC router...it's 'hands-off' once set up correctly. All sorts of youtubes on it...

https://shapertools.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0clzXWSaCw[/youtube]
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

Mkulu

#22 Post by Mkulu »

kenkenni wrote:I've seen a few injury pics thats got me a little intimidated and being extra careful. Today I was cutting
the top and bottoms for the Jacks and left about maybe 2/16" of an inch on the sides and was about to
grab my router to flush cut to final size, but then realized now was a good time to get well acquainted
with danger. Adjusted the saw, set my board up, and then came the moment of truth. Pulled the power
button, held my breath and ran the boards down against the fence and made a perfect flush trim on all
pieces. Sorry no fingers to report missing as of yet. The saw was not as bad as thought it would be.
It ran smooth as butter and that was the quickest I repaired some edges in a while. I'll become more
comfortable with it over time.
Use a notched push stick for those rip cuts on the RAS and on any other saw.
Works well, and fingers are safe.
Cross cuts are not a problem, one hand on the saw handle and the other locking the work piece to the fence.
Always pull the saw towards you with cross cuts,including angle cuts.
With the correct attachment the machine can also be used as an overhead router.
Very versatile for the small home workshop.

kenkenni

#23 Post by kenkenni »

Gotcha! I been on ebay trying to source me a couple of hold-downs also. I'm also messing with the idea of
using small wood dowels to have the work piece slide against in conjunction with the saw fence to help keep
the boards locked in while also allowing movement along the table.

Bruce Weldy

#24 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kenkenni wrote:Gotcha! I been on ebay trying to source me a couple of hold-downs also. I'm also messing with the idea of
using small wood dowels to have the work piece slide against in conjunction with the saw fence to help keep
the boards locked in while also allowing movement along the table.
If you mean underneath the board you are pushing.... NO!!!!! That would allow the board to lift.

Just make sure the table is flat and sanded smooth - put a coat of paste wax on it.

If the table is not in good shape, take the time to build a new table surface for it. I did that for mine. Use plywood or MDF.....MDF is good because it's pretty slick.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kenkenni

#25 Post by kenkenni »

No Bruce . I mean to drill small holes beside a piece of stock on the surface of the table top board the size of whatever small dowels
I intend to use. I will only drill just enough to seat the dowels up against the board allowing just enough room to easily push through
to the blade. It is only an idea for now. I will be getting proper hold-downs off ebay.

DJPhatman

#26 Post by DJPhatman »

Look for this type of hold-down clamp. Install T-track into the table, just outside the widest cutting angle of the blade. Safe and relatively inexpensive.

I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

kenkenni

#27 Post by kenkenni »

I've been on the Rockler site many times and never seen that before. They are sold out until the 26th of Jan. 2017 though.

Not to stray from the topic but nice job Mr. Leland on the new web page design. I was on there getting a list of items together
for this build and thought there was another SpeakerHardware site. Very professional looking too! The only thing I might
suggest you do is increase the size of the thumbnails. They are still too small.

Today I made the cross cuts for the Throat Panels and the Port Ducts on the Radial Arm Saw. It went well, though I think I
need to get a new blade. I had to run the boards through twice to clean up the edges. Any recommendations on 10" saw blades?

Mkulu

#28 Post by Mkulu »

kenkenni wrote:Mkulu what is that device in your pic and where to find information about it?
It's a CNC router that is hand directed by the operator following a drawing on the screen..One looks in the screen and follows the dot which is interfaced with the CAD program.

http://hackaday.com/2015/07/26/a-handheld-cnc-router/

There are vids on Youtube as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_wk3q8jWcs

LelandCrooks

#29 Post by LelandCrooks »

kenkenni wrote: Not to stray from the topic but nice job Mr. Leland on the new web page design. I was on there getting a list of items together
for this build and thought there was another SpeakerHardware site. Very professional looking too! The only thing I might
suggest you do is increase the size of the thumbnails. They are still too small.
What are you using to look at the site? Getting images right is really hard on a responsive site that is supposed to work on any device.

Oh, and I have one of those Shaper Origins on order as soon as they ship. I've had the cnc debate with myself for years. For most of Bill's cabs you need a changer head with custom angle bits, or a 5 axis machine. You end up at the tablesaw anyway with a 3axis. The biggest advantage would be in having all the cutouts done. That's why this thing turned my crank. I can setup a panel once, and then just stick tape on them from then on and cut it. My only concern with it is the motor. Whether it's going to be robust enough to hold up to my usage. The prototypes had a dewalt, which is unacceptable. They have assured me their custom motor is adequate.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#30 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

kenkenni wrote:The only thing I might
They look fine to me, on three different browsers.