My fourth BFM build. A set of Jack 12s with ASDs

Post your build odyssey here.
kenkenni

My fourth BFM build. A set of Jack 12s with ASDs

#1 Post by kenkenni »

This may be my most complicated build, mainly because of the angles. There were not a lot of builders that had or were able to build the compression drivers assembly
for me except for Mr. Leland so I figure that I was going to have to come up with a way to make those complicated cuts on my own. It was going to be a big learning
and jig fabrication opportunity until I spent the day on the web doing some research and came up on a deal for this.

I picked this up from a DIY/Handyman that no longer needed it for only $125. it's a Craftsman Radial Arm Saw. 10" 2.75HP in mint condition. I did a lot of research on this tool
before I decided I want one. This is going to make things a bit more easy for my DIY ventures, but not before I read and study the 80-page manual. This version of the saw was
not part of that big recall some years back. I made sure. I will be working the next few days so I can't start the actual build out for a few days. I did manage to start on some
of the easy parts using my circular saw and my multi-purpose tool. Meanwhile hear are just a few more teaser pics.

I will update this thread as I progress. Thanks for viewing

I cut these few parts with my jigsaw, multi-purpose tool and my circular saw.

Mkulu

Re: My fourth BFM build. A set of Jack 12s with ASDs

#2 Post by Mkulu »

kenkenni wrote:This may be my most complicated build, mainly because of the angles. There were not a lot of builders that had or were able to build the compression drivers assembly
for me except for Mr. Leland so I figure that I was going to have to come up with a way to make those complicated cuts on my own. It was going to be a big learning
and jig fabrication opportunity until I spent the day on the web doing some research and came up on a deal for this.

I picked this up from a DIY/Handyman that no longer needed it for only $125. it's a Craftsman Radial Arm Saw. 10" 2.75HP in mint condition. I did a lot of research on this tool
before I decided I want one. This is going to make things a bit more easy for my DIY ventures, but not before I read and study the 80-page manual. This version of the saw was
not part of that big recall some years back. I made sure. I will be working the next few days so I can't start the actual build out for a few days. I did manage to start on some
of the easy parts using my circular saw and my multi-purpose tool. Meanwhile hear are just a few more teaser pics.

Try buy a cheap compound mitre saw. Ryobi have one on legs that is inexpensive and does the job for those tricky little bits. Beats :chainsaw:

Mkulu

#3 Post by Mkulu »

Mkulu wrote:
kenkenni wrote:This may be my most complicated build, mainly because of the angles. There were not a lot of builders that had or were able to build the compression drivers assembly

Try buy a sliding compound mitre saw. Ryobi have one on legs that is inexpensive and does the job for those tricky little bits. Beats :chainsaw:

kenkenni

#4 Post by kenkenni »

I thought of getting a mitre saw but the versatility isn't there. The Radial Arm does a lot of things Mitre Saws can't do.

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kenkenni wrote:I thought of getting a mitre saw but the versatility isn't there. The Radial Arm does a lot of things Mitre Saws can't do.
I got rid of my radial arm saw many years ago after I got a good mitre saw. The only thing I couldn't do anymore was cross-cutting dados. And I do that so rarely that I can just use a router for that if necessary......and it takes a lot less room.

Of course, that's if you have a table saw too.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

LelandCrooks

#6 Post by LelandCrooks »

Be damn careful with that. They're notorious finger cutters. Nice catch cheap though.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

LelandCrooks wrote:Be damn careful with that. They're notorious finger cutters.
+1. The safe way to use them is to clamp or screw your work to the table.

kenkenni

#8 Post by kenkenni »

Thanks guys. I read all the horror stories. Most of the cuts happened before the recall. The new blade guard and safety
accessories that they provided as part of the recall eliminated some of the issues. I will watch myself though.

DJPhatman

#9 Post by DJPhatman »

LelandCrooks wrote:Be damn careful with that. They're notorious finger cutters. Nice catch cheap though.
+1,000,000

They aren't nicknamed "Radial Arm Removers" for nothing! :shock: :cry:

As another +, you can move that fence back a bit and set the cut depth to just penetrate the table. If you know how to set up and care for them, the RAS will last you more than a lifetime. Be sure you are always using a sharp blade. The RAS is also notorious for throwing wooden "missiles" around.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Grant Bunter

#10 Post by Grant Bunter »

LelandCrooks wrote:Be damn careful with that. They're notorious finger cutters. Nice catch cheap though.
I used to work in the operating rooms for years.

On weekends we would do runs of digital re implantations (AKA sewing fingers back on), and in the middle of one op I worked it out (some digital reimplantations would take 10 to 12 hours).

With a 10" saw that revs at 5000rpm, with a 60 tooth blade and a standard 0.2 sec reaction time:
at least 17 teeth pass through your finger(s).

Doesn't matter what type of saw...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

DJPhatman

#11 Post by DJPhatman »

Grant Bunter wrote:On weekends we would do runs of digital re implantations (AKA sewing fingers back on), and in the middle of one op I worked it out (some digital reimplantations would take 10 to 12 hours).

With a 10" saw that revs at 5000rpm, with a 60 tooth blade and a standard 0.2 sec reaction time:
Hate to break it to you, Grant, but your math is a bit FUBAR.

By using your 5000RPM, that would be 5000 divided by 60 seconds = ~83.4 revs per second, times .2 second reaction time = 16.7 revolutions, times 60 teeth per rev = ~1000 teeth pass through your flesh. This is why these types of injuries are so devastating.

An anecdote: my father was holding a board for his best friend, doing a remodel on the friends' home, while the friend was using a circular saw. The saw kicked back, traveling approximately 20-24", and nearly severed my fathers' right thumb, all before the saw could stop the blade rotation (the cord was also cut, first) and before the spring-loaded blade cover could snap closed. That is how fast it happens.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Grant Bunter

#12 Post by Grant Bunter »

DJPhatman wrote:
Grant Bunter wrote:On weekends we would do runs of digital re implantations (AKA sewing fingers back on), and in the middle of one op I worked it out (some digital reimplantations would take 10 to 12 hours).

Hate to break it to you, Grant, but your math is a bit FUBAR.

Nuthing new DJP lol, you're right though.

By using your 5000RPM, that would be 5000 divided by 60 seconds = ~83.4 revs per second, times .2 second reaction time = 16.7 revolutions, times 60 teeth per rev = ~1000 teeth pass through your flesh. This is why these types of injuries are so devastating.

1000 ish is "at least 17" hehehehehehe
1000 is a much more impressive number though

An anecdote: my father was holding a board for his best friend, doing a remodel on the friends' home, while the friend was using a circular saw. The saw kicked back, traveling approximately 20-24", and nearly severed my fathers' right thumb, all before the saw could stop the blade rotation (the cord was also cut, first) and before the spring-loaded blade cover could snap closed. That is how fast it happens.

Just like pregnancy. Over in no time, the effects last a lifetime...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Mkulu

#13 Post by Mkulu »

For sure, anything that slides in the workshop cuts fingers.Especially if the guys have had a party on a Friday night and the workshop is working on a Saturday.
I owned a custom furniture factory for many years, lucky I still got my fingers but some of my guys are a few short.

Mkulu

#14 Post by Mkulu »

Mkulu wrote:
For sure, anything that slides in the workshop cuts fingers.Especially if the guys have had a party on a Friday night and the workshop is working on a Saturday.
I owned a custom furniture factory for many years, lucky I still got my fingers but some of my guys are a few short.

FOR THOSE SCARED OF LOSING THEIR FINGERS HELP HAS ARRIVED.
Attachments
For those scared of losing their fingers.jpg
For those scared of losing their fingers.jpg (9.87 KiB) Viewed 2099 times

kenkenni

#15 Post by kenkenni »

I've seen a few injury pics thats got me a little intimidated and being extra careful. Today I was cutting
the top and bottoms for the Jacks and left about maybe 2/16" of an inch on the sides and was about to
grab my router to flush cut to final size, but then realized now was a good time to get well acquainted
with danger. Adjusted the saw, set my board up, and then came the moment of truth. Pulled the power
button, held my breath and ran the boards down against the fence and made a perfect flush trim on all
pieces. Sorry no fingers to report missing as of yet. The saw was not as bad as thought it would be.
It ran smooth as butter and that was the quickest I repaired some edges in a while. I'll become more
comfortable with it over time.