2x Titan 48 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
shawn_g

2x Titan 48 Build

#1 Post by shawn_g »

I was going through withdrawal since it's been about 3 years since I built any BFM designs, so I had to remedy that with a couple Titan 48's. These are 24" wide using single 3015LF drivers with Auraco plywood.

Oooohhh Aaaaahhh....

Building starts. I built both at the same time so that I could make the same mistakes on both cabs at the same time, such as the baffle that I cut the hole wrong on for both cabs and had to re-do. :D Luckily I hadn't installed them yet before I caught my mistake.

On a side note, this turned out to be the worst batch of Auraco I've ever used. Lots of warping. :chainsaw: I need to pony up for some BB next time.

The sides are finally glued on. Loaded up one of them to test it out.

My least favorite part of filling holes and gaps before the Duratex goes on.

Almost finished.

Here I am utilizing them in back massage mode.

Some of my initial impressions:
They're significantly louder than the T39's that I built 3 or 4 years ago. I tested them in my 30'x56' basement and was able to get crazy amounts of vision blurring bass at ~40 volts that I don't recall getting with the T39's. They're also significantly larger than the T39's. On paper it doesn't sound like a big difference, but holy cow these are big subwoofers. Everyone that sees them makes a remark about how large they are.

These are going to be installed at a church and we're still messing around with proper placement. Although they don't have quite the oomph that they did in my smaller basement, they still sound miles better than the single EAW SB150 they replaced. We got the most even response when paired together right in the middle of the stage (as pictured above), but they unfortunately can't go there because it's one of the few stage entrances. I think our best option (of what we have available) will be grouped together on one of the sides, but it was late last night and we didn't get a chance to test all of our options. There are only a handful of spots that they can physically go, so we'll have to make the best of the situation.

Overall, I'm impressed and highly recommend T48's if you have the space for them.

CoronaOperator

Re: 2x Titan 48 Build

#2 Post by CoronaOperator »

Those braces look awesome!!!!
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

shawn_g

#3 Post by shawn_g »

CoronaOperator wrote:Those braces look awesome!!!!
Thanks! I stole the idea from a build I saw on here a while back. I can't remember the thread to give credit, but I think the username was anomalous.

rr97guy

#4 Post by rr97guy »

Those T48s look awesome with the workmanship I can see. Makes me inspired to get started on my upcoming project(s). :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chris_Allen

#5 Post by Chris_Allen »

You build quick!

Do the 3015LFs need reducer panels?
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

shawn_g

#6 Post by shawn_g »

Chris_Allen wrote:You build quick!

Plans say the reducers are optional on higher Fs drivers. It's supposed to give better sensitivity above 40hz if you use them.

The pictures give the illusion that I built them fast, but I dragged my feet and took about 6 weeks start to finish. :D

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

Looks good. Way to go.

The floor is not the only place that subs can go; the ceiling is an optional spot, as well.
TomS

shawn_g

#8 Post by shawn_g »

Tom Smit wrote:Looks good. Way to go.

The floor is not the only place that subs can go; the ceiling is an optional spot, as well.
Thanks. We settled on them grouped together on the left side of the stage and got pretty good results. I think Omnitops are next. :twisted:

Ryan Sober

#9 Post by Ryan Sober »

shawn_g wrote: Thanks. We settled on them grouped together on the left side of the stage and got pretty good results. I think Omnitops are next. :twisted:
The great thing about clustering subs on one side of a church stage is, the old people figure out which side of the stage they need to sit on reeeeal quick!

LelandCrooks

#10 Post by LelandCrooks »

Chris_Allen wrote:You build quick!

No
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

howiez

#11 Post by howiez »

shawn_g wrote:
CoronaOperator wrote:Those braces look awesome!!!!
Thanks! I stole the idea from a build I saw on here a while back. I can't remember the thread to give credit, but I think the username was anomalous.
Yes, I love the braces as well! Nice work!