T60 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
jakeobr

T60 Build

#1 Post by jakeobr »

I just got back from school and I'm ready to start building my first Fitzmaurice speaker. However, I'm now working 7 days a week and I wont have as much time for building as I thought. Either way, I'm still excited!

I'm building a 20" T60 to go along with a pair of 15" Peavey SP2's. I might build a second T60 at the same time and load it later though.

So far I've bought a Lab12 speaker, rubber feet, chevron corners, and 4pole SpeakOn plugs (all off amazon.ca). I still need to pick up plywood, seems like its going to be around $45 a sheet for 5x5 BB, I need 3 from what CutList says but that's not including braces. I also need to buy DuraTex(deep tint for colouring?), gasket tape, and castors.
What kind of castors should I be looking for? :feedback: I'm going to try to get them off of amazon.ca too, I have amazon prime and everything is cheaper on amazon from what I've seen.

So far I have my setup done other than the sub,
I bought a driverack PX, I basically stole it off a guy on kijiji for only $180! with the mic too!
I got a knockoff Yamaha P7000s off kijiji for $200 too, seems pretty heavy duty and works well. I'll see how it does in the long run.
I got the mixer and sp2's for free which started this whole pa system.

I'm gunna be building an amp rack to to hold my mixer, driverack, and amp too.

All the pictures are in an imgur album until I figure out how to insert an image or size it down. :confused:
http://imgur.com/a/w1Bud

Question: On the last picture of the Lab12 in the album, there's a cardboard-like piece taped on top of the speaker. Am I going to be using this in some way?

I'll update again when I start building, not sure when that will be unfortunately.

Tom Smit

Re: T60 Build

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum, Jake!
Question: On the last picture of the Lab12 in the album, there's a cardboard-like piece taped on top of the speaker. Am I going to be using this in some way?
That cardboard piece is a gasket in case you put the Lab12 into a hole rather than on top of a hole.You won't need it for the T60.
TomS

jakeobr

#3 Post by jakeobr »

Tom Smit wrote:Welcome to the forum, Jake!
That cardboard piece is a gasket in case you put the Lab12 into a hole rather than on top of a hole.You won't need it for the T60.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

CoronaOperator

#4 Post by CoronaOperator »

jakeobr wrote: I still need to pick up plywood, seems like its going to be around $45 a sheet for 5x5 BB
That's the same price I pay down here in Medicine Hat. Was $40 a year ago.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

88h88

#5 Post by 88h88 »

If you can make it wider, make it wider. My two are 18" wide and they're too narrow to make use of the low end and don't really have much in the way of output below 30hz.

Just a thought.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

jakeobr

#6 Post by jakeobr »

88h88 wrote:If you can make it wider, make it wider. My two are 18" wide and they're too narrow to make use of the low end and don't really have much in the way of output below 30hz.

Just a thought.
The max width I can go is 19", plus 1" for side panels as the plans say if I remember correctly. 19" is also the most efficient when it comes to ripping the plywood.

jakeobr

#7 Post by jakeobr »

CoronaOperator wrote:
jakeobr wrote: I still need to pick up plywood, seems like its going to be around $45 a sheet for 5x5 BB
That's the same price I pay down here in Medicine Hat. Was $40 a year ago.
Yea, windsor was $45/sheet and timber town was $44.99. I was hoping to find a cheaper place somewhere but I've had no luck.

Also, where's your club in medicine hat? I wanna come down when your dr250's are up and runnin and get a listen if I can get off work. I'm anxious to listen to some tuba's/dr's!

CoronaOperator

#8 Post by CoronaOperator »

jakeobr wrote: Also, where's your club in medicine hat? I wanna come down when your dr250's are up and runnin and get a listen if I can get off work. I'm anxious to listen to some tuba's/dr's!
Right here

I'll let you know when I have everything up and running.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Meticula

#9 Post by Meticula »

Good luck mate! I'm just about reaching the end of my tuba 30 build myself. For resizing your photos just open up paint and resize them to around 20%. This then brings the file underneath the 200kb file limit!
Building 2x Omnitop 12s (Eminence Beta 12's)
2x Tuba 30s (LAB 12's) powered with a PKN XD2500

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

88h88 wrote:My two ...don't really have much in the way of output below 30hz.
That would be because it's a 28Hz horn. :oops: