Tuba 30 x2 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Meticula

Tuba 30 x2 Build

#1 Post by Meticula »

Well after a lot of time, preparation and logistics I've finally started building my two Tuba 30's.
I've had the materials for the build for a good while, just cleaning up my workshop was holding me back.. I was hoping to start the build back in December but better late than never.

The plan is to build a pair of Tuba 30's over the coming month. 24" wide and loaded with a single Eminence LAB 12 each. My eventual plan is to use them for small events around my locale and a small festival in June. DnB, techno and jungle will more than likely end up being the main genres I'll end up putting through them.

So far I've marked out all of the pieces on 4 8x4's of half inch birch ply, including the LAB 12 mod pieces. My question is though, Bill provides cutlist measurements at the beginning of the plans. Piece 1 is marked as 19", while a paragraph later it says it's 18 1/4" long? I assume this is to give people a slight room for error with each piece. I could be wrong but it'd be great if someone could advise me further!

Tomorrow I'm going to calibrate the table saw and finally get cracking on the pieces.. going to cut them all tomorrow if everything goes to plan. Weather's looking good for the first time in weeks, perfect for spending the day in the workshop!

If you're wondering why the marker used is in different colours, it's to distinguish between each tuba's parts! More to come :hyper:

Think my picture was too big to upload to the site (kept timing out) So here's an imgur link instead! http://i.imgur.com/qmFEuZg.jpg
Building 2x Omnitop 12s (Eminence Beta 12's)
2x Tuba 30s (LAB 12's) powered with a PKN XD2500

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Tuba 30 x2 Build

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Read those plans again: If you wish to cut the panels to rough length use this chart. the actual finished lengths of all parts are figured by dead reckoning. Measure and then end trim them to finished length and angle as you install them to be sure of the exact size required.

commander_dan

#3 Post by commander_dan »

Meticula wrote:My question is though, Bill provides cutlist measurements at the beginning of the plans. Piece 1 is marked as 19", while a paragraph later it says it's 18 1/4" long? I assume this is to give people a slight room for error with each piece.
Those "cutlist" panel lengths are rough lengths only. The final length of each panel is given (the latter figure that you found), but you should measure and cut each panel as you install (dead reckoning).

You could cut the panels to final length before you install, but if your construction accuracy is out, you may find the panel too short, which is why dead reckoning is recommended. The final lengths are for dead square, accurate cabs. In my build, I used the final lengths for the internal panels (checking before cutting the roughs to confirm of course) and used dead reckoning for the outer panels (8, 10, and 12). You'll figure it out once you start the assembly.

Happy building! Photo's are expected ;)
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

commander_dan

#4 Post by commander_dan »

Since you've gone to the trouble of marking out all the panels on the sheets of ply, what is your plan of attack for cutting them up, exactly?

Only asking because an easier way to do it would be to add up all the rough lengths, and simply cut that much stock in one session with your saw fence set to 23". This eliminates the need to mark up the individual panels (lengths and widths) as the width is then already taken care of. (In the plans as well..)
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

Meticula

#5 Post by Meticula »

In my haste it seems I've overlooked that! :bash: Thanks Bill & Dan. In an ideal world i would cut each panel to final length as i went, but certain restrictions of mine mean i have to cut them all to final measurements in one lot!

My plan of attack is similar to what you suggest. Marking them out to the extent I did wasn't wholly necessary, I guess it's a touch OCD to mark it all out before i make any cuts!

Just finished a long stretch of work so I blame my oversight to the exhaustion. Looking forward to getting started in the morning.

commander_dan

#6 Post by commander_dan »

Np. I suggest: read the plans again, before you sleep tonight, and before you start cutting in the morning. It really helps to be familiar with the steps as you do them as there is a lot of information. You should avoid oversights at all costs, makes for a smoother build :)
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

Meticula

#7 Post by Meticula »

Well two days into the build and little to show for it, but progress is progress.

Had to clean up the workshop even more than first though, to accommodate cutting the 8x4's in half length-ways on the tablesaw. Not to mention having to set up the mitre extension (if that's what its called) on the table to allow me to cut the boards up with a bit more ease.

Included are a couple pictures of the workshop space, still not very tidy, but I prefer the term well used. Took the ferry trip off the island to go grab more PU glue and some screws for assembly.

Will be cutting all my pieces in the morning to their final lengths, not advisable yes, but something i must do due to circumstances out of my hands.

http://imgur.com/a/Rf6EX

Here's hoping tomorrow will yield some better results! :wink:

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Meticula wrote: Will be cutting all my pieces in the morning to their final lengths, not advisable yes, but something i must do due to circumstances out of my hands.
:
I've done this on every cab I've built. Just make good, square cuts and you'll be fine.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Tom Smit

#9 Post by Tom Smit »

Sliding mitre sled/bed on the table saw! Wow!
TomS

LelandCrooks

#10 Post by LelandCrooks »

Tom Smit wrote:Sliding mitre sled/bed on the table saw! Wow!
:shock:
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Meticula

#11 Post by Meticula »

Well today was an extremely productive day. Managed to cut every piece out to its final dimensions - asides from the angle cuts which ill do in the next couple of days. Can finally begin marking out the access panel and assorted pieces.

Might need more wood than i expected.. Didnt realise id need to make so many bracers. (two each for the wide cab, then two more again since im building two cabs) shouldve read the plans more when i bought the wood. Had to get the wood delivered back in november since no local timberyard had any bb availible. The delivery wasn't a pretty sight! :x

Enjoy the pics, nothing too fancy but it feels so good to have all the pieces cut.. Now to the time consuming part!
http://m.imgur.com/a/vmtb1
Last edited by Meticula on Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

commander_dan

#12 Post by commander_dan »

Meticula wrote:Might need more wood than i expected..
Think I used 1 & 3/4 sheets per cab..
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

ctmullins

#13 Post by ctmullins »

The braces need not be made from the same ply as the major cabinet panels. You can use whatever you have on hand. The plans even say you can use thinner ply, or use several smaller pieces (page 12).
-todd

5 and 8 string bass | SansAmp | Crown | 2 x J110
2 x W8 panel-mount
2 x T39 24" 3012LF
4 x OT12 2512 melded (finally done!)

Meticula

#14 Post by Meticula »

Well after a very hectic week I managed to get a good bit of work done to the subs today. Marking out both of the base 30x30 panels with high accuracy took a long time, especially since imperial measurements don't come naturally to me. I kept marking 5/8s as 5/16 and so on.. Converting the measurements to metric was an option but a huge headache in both converting and marking out non rounded millimeters. (e.g 25.4mm)

I tested out just how accurate my markings were by putting the two base pieces together and clamping them, then drilling a test hole to see how well the two drawings aligned.
Luckily the time spent drawing accurate measurements meant I saved time through cutting both access panels at the same time. I did this by screwing together the two sheets through the fastener screw holes at four different locations and then took the skillsaw to the two sheets at once. (My first time ever using the skillsaw too..) Luckily for me it turned out as accurate as I could have hoped for. It was absolutely bang on :hyper:

Once i finished trimming the panel's burs I drilled all of the fastener holes and have the side panels ready for action. To finish up my evening i made a reinforced right angle jig, the internal panels wont be moving anywhere.

Looking forward to begin gluing in the morning.. old clothes and gloves on to deal with the inevitable PU mess. I've read too many horror stories on this site to turn a blind eye.

http://imgur.com/a/c1XW4

Edit: Woops! Forgot a couple pictures! http://imgur.com/a/k3aFz

Tom Smit

#15 Post by Tom Smit »

Luckily for me it turned out as accurate as I could have hoped for. It was absolutely bang on :hyper:
:clap:
TomS