Tom Smit

Re: 8 x DR250 build

#106 Post by Tom Smit »

Wow!
TomS

CoronaOperator

#107 Post by CoronaOperator »

CoronaOperator wrote: I also added 2 skids that are only 1/4" off the ground. What these do is make it absolutely impossible to push these off the stage. Try as you might, as soon as one caster falls of the stage the tower only drops 1/4" and that skid digs into the stage so hard that it hits the brakes and everything comes to a stop. All put together these weigh about 350 lbs so it is hard to even get these stands rolling but they wont ever fall on anyone, I made sure of that.
Proof:

http://vid769.photobucket.com/albums/xx ... 051733.mp4
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

LelandCrooks

#108 Post by LelandCrooks »

I like it. And it looks threatening. :evil:
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bruce Weldy

#109 Post by Bruce Weldy »

LelandCrooks wrote:I like it. And it looks threatening. :evil:
Kinda' looks like he's got his BFM on top of that BMF.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

CoronaOperator

#110 Post by CoronaOperator »

LelandCrooks wrote:I like it. And it looks threatening. :evil:
Oh ya, they look like they mean buisness :twisted: :twisted:

Here is our latest layout for EDM nights (band nights are different). In case you are wondering, no blast zone = no show. The mouths of the subs are 13 feet out from the wall and they sound fantastic where they are. I like this layout as you can stand right next to the mouths of the subs and the tops aren't overpowering in your face, they are still 11 feet away. Which, by the way, time aligns the tops and subs without any digital delay :D .

The DR's took a few weeks to get dailed in to sound right but once they were, OMG do they sound good! It is the best sounding PA that I have ever heard and its pretty much unanimous with my DJ's on the sound of the DR's. My guys play all summer on million dollar Funktion 1 festival rigs and all of our DJ's/promoters all independently said that these DR's sound better. They are split on the subs. About 2 of them like the T60's but about 4 of them like direct radiators better. We used the DR's and their PK subs one night and that satisfied the 4 that like front loaded subs better. I don't understand what the fuss was about but I'm not in my 20's, the T60's to my ears sound miles better than front loaded subs. I think maybe I just need 2 more of them to match the output of their rig. My 2 can hit around 132 dBC, theirs, around 140 dBC so that might be the difference they miss. On July 16th I have a Funktion 1 sound tech coming in from Vancouver to play, I can't wait to hear his opinion on the rig. I'm sure he'll want to fiddle with the dials on the diverack, thats what presets are for I guess.
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#111 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

CoronaOperator wrote: The DR's took a few weeks to get dailed in to sound right but once they were, OMG do they sound good! It is the best sounding PA that I have ever heard and its pretty much unanimous with my DJ's on the sound of the DR's. My guys play all summer on million dollar Funktion 1 festival rigs and all of our DJ's/promoters all independently said that these DR's sound better.
Put that in a review. :hyper:
They are split on the subs. About 2 of them like the T60's but about 4 of them like direct radiators better. We used the DR's and their PK subs one night and that satisfied the 4 that like front loaded subs better. I don't understand what the fuss was about but I'm not in my 20's, the T60's to my ears sound miles better than front loaded subs.
It's just what they're used to: High level harmonic distortion. If that's all you've ever heard you can easily think that good bass is supposed to be that way. Not unlike my best friend, who only drinks Budweiser and won't touch a good microbrew. Good taste is not a trait that one acquires overnight. :roll:

CoronaOperator

#112 Post by CoronaOperator »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Put that in a review. :hyper:
That's coming as soon as I get the other 4 tops mounted in the club.
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:It's just what they're used to: High level harmonic distortion. If that's all you've ever heard you can easily think that good bass is supposed to be that way. Not unlike my best friend, who only drinks Budweiser and won't touch a good microbrew. Good taste is not a trait that one acquires overnight. :roll:
I'm sure its the harmonics that they like. I like loud clean bass but I can't stand the harmonics, at the levels they play their subs at those higher harmonic frequencies start to hurt your ears. They like to wear ear plugs during shows and to me that just defeats the whole purpose of having a great sounding system. I guess all those years listening to my autotuba in my car spoiled me to good clean bass.
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#113 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

CoronaOperator wrote: They like to wear ear plugs during shows
Do they also wear a raincoat when taking a shower? :noob:
Realty check: If it's too freaking loud for the DJ it's too freaking loud for the audience. :bash:

BrentEvans

#114 Post by BrentEvans »

Skimming through this thread again, I saw one of the photos...

And I started womdering, Why does that remind me of those pajamas that have a flap in the rear....
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bruce Weldy

#115 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BrentEvans wrote:Skimming through this thread again, I saw one of the photos...

And I started womdering, Why does that remind me of those pajamas that have a flap in the rear....
Pretty cheeky thing to say....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Charles Jenkinson

#116 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

CoronaOperator wrote:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:It's just what they're used to: High level harmonic distortion. If that's all you've ever heard you can easily think that good bass is supposed to be that way. Not unlike my best friend, who only drinks Budweiser and won't touch a good microbrew. Good taste is not a trait that one acquires overnight. :roll:
I'm sure its the harmonics that they like. I like loud clean bass but I can't stand the harmonics, at the levels they play their subs at those higher harmonic frequencies start to hurt your ears. They like to wear ear plugs during shows and to me that just defeats the whole purpose of having a great sounding system. I guess all those years listening to my autotuba in my car spoiled me to good clean bass.
This is why I'm here. The combined thoughts/feelings that you still haven't found what you're looking for is the quality that keeps one searching. But once you find it, it can generate evangelical power. You rarely find people with the discernment to know what good sounds like, because not many have heard it, but that's why the word has to be spread irrespective, and trust aspirations will be raised. ...amen. I think so. :D
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

CoronaOperator

#117 Post by CoronaOperator »

BrentEvans wrote: And I started womdering, Why does that remind me of those pajamas that have a flap in the rear....
I thought those flaps were a Canadian thing. Although we don't call them pajamas, we call them long underwear as in what you wear under your snowmobile outfit. See we have 2 seasons here, winter and July. As it is July here, we are 32 C and sunny. The flap underwear doesn't come out for another month. :lol:
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#118 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

CoronaOperator wrote: I thought those flaps were a Canadian thing.
They had them on union suits, a 19th century pre-cursor to Doctor Dentons.

BrentEvans

#119 Post by BrentEvans »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
CoronaOperator wrote: I thought those flaps were a Canadian thing.
They had them on union suits, a 19th century pre-cursor to Doctor Dentons.
So Bill... This should beco,e standard issue on the dr plans, I think. And if there was a port or something right in the middle... Lol...
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

CoronaOperator

#120 Post by CoronaOperator »

Charles Jenkinson wrote:The combined thoughts/feelings that you still haven't found what you're looking for is the quality that keeps one searching. But once you find it, it can generate evangelical power. You rarely find people with the discernment to know what good sounds like, because not many have heard it, but that's why the word has to be spread irrespective, and trust aspirations will be raised. ...amen. I think so. :D
I found exactly what I was looking for. We have a pretty big music/EDM community and the only people that like the front loaded subs better are the ones who spent the $20k on their system. Even then, they want to use the DR'S instead of their tops. I have a feeling once I build 2 more subs then theirs will be collecting dust and relegated to mobile out of town duty. The best comments come from musicians and music lovers that have no idea about pa systems and brand names and have no time or $ invested in the system. I am going to assume that after spending 1100 hours building and the other guys after spending $20k, we would both be a little biased. The crowd isn't :D
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001