Simplexx 18 Pro Build . . the weatherproof version

Post your build odyssey here.
Hackomatic

Simplexx 18 Pro Build . . the weatherproof version

#1 Post by Hackomatic »

Once again, I’ve pressed ahead into uncharted waters to construct BFM cabinets that will live their entire existence outdoors, constantly exposed to the elements. The material of choice is ½” sheet PVC. . the gray stuff, just like electrical conduit you see in Home Depot and Lowes. The idea is to build a total of eight of these bad boys, and cluster them on top of the press box at the high school football stadium. Although I would love to say I followed the plans to the letter, the truth and reality is that I have made some cosmetic and minor structural changes from what the plans depict. First, the decision was made to mount these on their sides instead of in a down firing config as shown in the plans. After weighing the roof installation options, the Speakon location options and serviceability options in the future, side mounting seemed the correct route. Therefore, some extensions were placed on the front outside that will provided mounting facilities for the grill which needs to provide water resistance to the driver and in this case, the more distance from the grill to the driver, the greater the effectiveness of keeping water away from the cone. Also, instead of 8 triangular pieces to support and stiffen the back, a pair of parallel ½ x 3s are used. I can tell you this stuff is already considerably less flexible than the equivalent thickness of ply, so any bracing is almost overkill. Since weight is not entirely important, the bracing goes in! The main thing is that internal volume (based on my best calculations) remains virtually the same as the original. All other important parameters (port length, etc.) are exactly as per plans.

And now, some pics . . .

These are the drivers that have been tapped for the job. PE is running a special til the end of June for $183, but the week before Memorial day they dropped it to $179. Anyway, I snatched up four.
1.jpg
A box is formed!
2.jpg
Front baffle installed.
3.jpg
. . and from the back.
4.jpg
The port ducts being glued and pressed into place . .love me clamps! :lol:
5.jpg
Five pics max per post . . more to come! 8)
Dave H

Hackomatic

Re: Simplexx 18 Pro Build . . the weatherproof version

#2 Post by Hackomatic »

Continuing on . . .
My secret sealant sauce for air-tighting all seams. PVC wool mixed with acetone and MEK . . Yummy!
6.jpg
First set of cross braces.
7.jpg
WE HAVE A HOLE! :clap: Cut with a jig saw. Didn't know I could cut one so round. Kinda proud of the results. Also, shown gluing the baffle screw retention blocks in place.
8.jpg
Here I'm installing little fiddly pieces around the perimeter to attach the support screen for the poly stuffing . . . Can you say PITA? :cussing:
9.jpg
. . and the aforementioned fiddly pieces in place . . two levels . . .
10.jpg
That's my 5 limit . . Still more ahead . . .
Dave H

Hackomatic

#3 Post by Hackomatic »

Gotta take a break before I can continue . . . :lol:
La Fin.jpg
Dave H

Hackomatic

#4 Post by Hackomatic »

OK . . beer break over. On to the next 5 pics . . .

Shot showing the entrails and the grill extensions on the front outside.
11.jpg
The next three showing better detail of the grill extensions and test fitting the driver.
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
Wiring up the Speakons.
15.jpg
Next 5 just ahead . . .
Dave H

Hackomatic

#5 Post by Hackomatic »

. .and Speakons on #2.
16.jpg
The front most layer of fiberglass screen roughed in with black silicone. This will hold the poly stuffing in place directly behind the driver. This is one aspect of the build that was very tedious compared to just popping a few staples into some burlap in a normal build. :(
17.jpg
Also, I added a dollop of silicone on the Speakon terminals to ensure they stayed separated.
18.jpg
The layer of poly goes in the chamber.
19.jpg
The second layer of fiberglass screen over the poly and caulked in place. (kinda hard to see) It will keep the poly firmly in place in the chamber.
20.jpg
Only a couple more . . .
Dave H

Hackomatic

#6 Post by Hackomatic »

Uh . . make that one more.

Better view of the back screening and back braces installed.
21.jpg
That's it for the pics thus far. I am further along on both cabs, as the backs have been installed and a couple of coats of flat black on the front mouths. I'll post more pics later. Total time thus far is about four days for the two cabs . . . 8)
Dave H

88h88

#7 Post by 88h88 »

Wow this is going to look pretty damn cool when it's done.

Would your process of using PVC wool and acetone work for something like acrylic? I've always wanted to make some crappy little clear speakers...
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Hackomatic

#8 Post by Hackomatic »

I'm no expert on plastics, but whatever volatile melts acrylic would be what you would need . . acetone or MEK may do that, I just don't know off the top of my head. Also, you would want to use particles of acrylic rather than PVC to make the concoction. Some experimenting is necessary to get the right proportion for each ingredient. So . . what I'm saying in a round about way . . yes, it could be done, but NOT with the formula I'm using for PVC. On the other hand, if your goal is to make clear acrylic cabs, depending on the size, clear silicone caulk would actually seal the seams and probably give better aesthetic results. I use my mix because it won't be seen, (as you can tell, the seams ain't perfect :? ) and because it does add a measure of structural integrety that the silicone caulk won't or can't . . . HTH! :)
Dave H

88h88

#9 Post by 88h88 »

I realised saying PVC was dumb after mentioning acrylic but I left it there anyway. :slap:

I just want to assemble some little bookshelf sized speakers so I doubt they'd need too much in terms of strength. Maybe a pair of mini SLAs or something, dunno yet.

Anyway, this is a great build. :mrgreen:
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Frederic Gelinas

#10 Post by Frederic Gelinas »

Good choice of beer. I'm a fan of Unibroue.

Nice subwoofer too!
Frédéric Gélinas, HF Audio
Authorized Builder
HFAudio.ca
Free tone Generator
Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada

Hackomatic

#11 Post by Hackomatic »

Frederic Gelinas wrote:Good choice of beer. I'm a fan of Unibroue.
Maudite, Trois Pistoles, Don de Dieu have all made the journey across my palate . . La Fin is my fave! Regardless, ALL beer is GOOD beer. 8)

. . and a nice way to reward yourself after a day of speakering.
Dave H

Hackomatic

#12 Post by Hackomatic »

UPDATE . . .

The first pair of weatherproof Simplexx 18 subs were installed this weekend at the football stadium. In addition, four hybrid weatherproof speakers were installed in lieu of the Otop15s. That is a story for another thread, but let's just say I could see I was not going to get the Otops done in time and the other speakers were incredibly fast builds. FWIW, the hybrid speakers were conceived from this site as sort of a morphing of the Simplexx 10 and SLA designs.

Anyway, to the Simplexx 18s and the build. Here is the driver bolted in position. Although I thought of leaving them gray to match the roof, my brother insisted they should be "Wildcat Red" I painted just enough of the thing to keep any additional paint off my grills, and will hand the spary cans off to him if he is determined.
1.jpg
Now, I'm putting the first layer of protection over the driver . . Heavy duty metal grill with fiberglass screen over the top.
2.jpg

I have many more pics that I'll be posting soon. I can tell you this . . a pair of these things cover the entire stadium unbelievably well. Eight of them should definitely bring out the decibel police . . 8)
Dave H

Rick Lee

#13 Post by Rick Lee »

Looks very nice! Those Dayton drivers look pretty nice on paper too. Gotta ask... where were these installed? Our local team is also the Wildcats but I think their red is a little darker.
Authorized Builder
Nashville/Middle Tennessee

bwtaudio@gmail.com

Hackomatic

#14 Post by Hackomatic »

Rick Lee wrote:Looks very nice! Those Dayton drivers look pretty nice on paper too. Gotta ask... where were these installed? Our local team is also the Wildcats but I think their red is a little darker.
Central Heights, just north of Florence, AL. I call it "Wildcat Red", when in reality, it's Valspar's only red paint for plastic. :lol:
Dave H

Hackomatic

#15 Post by Hackomatic »

Here's a closeup of what the grills look like . . .
14.jpg
. . and the hardware I used to secure the clamps. Between the gasket thickness and the grill rim, there was no way I could have made it work without shimming the clamps. The fender washers were great in that they not only protect the clamps, but they nestled in to the side ridges on the clamp which kept them in perfect position every time.Everything stainless, of course.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Dave H