First Build. Titan 48 w Lab 12.

Post your build odyssey here.
jmanso

Re: First Build. Titan 48 w Lab 12.

#46 Post by jmanso »

little update from this weekend.

Got panels 5, 6, 6 extension and Horizontal Braces glued.

Figured out what happened for the misalignement. The anchor was not cut completely straight, as I glued the reducers They didnt stay perfectly flat in relation to side panel which left that gap on panel 4. The recut panel four will hopefully take care of this, but it meant that my 3 / 5 braces were a little bit too short ( about the same gap as panel four / baffle had ).

Had to recut them slightly bigger, and had to trim a bit on the 4/6 Braces as well. They now fit quite perfectly and have also been glued altough you can't see them in the pics.

hopefully will get panel 8 and vertical braces glued tonight :)

Almost there ! :D
Attachments
build8.jpg
build7.jpg

jmanso

#47 Post by jmanso »

oh, and we've noticed that panel 8 has become extremely warped so when we tried to fit it we found out that we didn't have a jig with enough length to hold it on both sides so since panel 9 was perfectly flat we glued it first to later screw with panel 8 with a dewarping board. and hold the bottom side with 2 jigs to make it glue straight.

(We want to avoid drilling through side panel, wanted to try build only with jigs and clamps)

DJPhatman

#48 Post by DJPhatman »

jmanso wrote:oh, and we've noticed that panel 8 has become extremely warped so when we tried to fit it we found out that we didn't have a jig with enough length to hold it on both sides so since panel 9 was perfectly flat we glued it first to later screw with panel 8 with a dewarping board. and hold the bottom side with 2 jigs to make it glue straight.

(We want to avoid drilling through side panel, wanted to try build only with jigs and clamps)
As long as you are able to remove the warp without causing issues elsewhere, good on you. You really should consider using a pneumatic brad nailer to hold joints while you are gluing panels together. It makes it much easier to keep panels from slipping and sliding out of alignment.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

jmanso

#49 Post by jmanso »

Update:

Almost there! :D

Every panel is glued except for 2nd side.

Waiting on gasket to arrive on the mail to start finishing the access cover. Will start to sand down edges tonight and find out where best to put the cable.

Also a simple question, I've ordered this:

http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSH ... =OfferList

in hopes of having enough cable to do all speakon / xlr cables and also to place inside the speaker.
I've read the cable specs and they seem more than enough

Test voltage (50 Hz, 1 min): 2000 V
Max. operating voltage: 300 V
Cross section: 1,5 mm²
Conductor: 30 x 0,25 mm
Conductor resistance: 12,5 Ohm/km

but 1,5mm2 seems a bit slim. is it allright to use with the Lab 12 ? or will the cable get clipped when I attach to driver ??

Cheers
Attachments
build10.jpg
build9.jpg

sine143

#50 Post by sine143 »

Looks really good guys. I caution you to reserve final judgment till you at least have a pair (preferably 4). As the t48 really does need multiples to really shine With bass music. 4 will put a smile on your face though :)
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

Grant Bunter

#51 Post by Grant Bunter »

jmanso wrote: Also a simple question, I've ordered this:

in hopes of having enough cable to do all speakon / xlr cables and also to place inside the speaker.

but 1,5mm2 seems a bit slim. is it allright to use with the Lab 12 ? or will the cable get clipped when I attach to driver ??

Cheers
:wall: not much point asking after you ordered.
The cable you linked is about = to 16G.
You shouldn't make a speaker cable longer than 10 m with that thickness. 2.5mm squared per wire would have been better.
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Tom Smit

#52 Post by Tom Smit »

Grant Bunter wrote:
jmanso wrote: Also a simple question, I've ordered this:

Cheers
:wall: not much point asking after you ordered.
You shouldn't make a speaker cable longer than User avatar

Unread post Re: Started project Jack 15
Nicely done.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:59 am
Report this post
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic10 m with that thickness. 2.5mm squared per wire would have been better.
+1
16 gauge is OK inside the cab; not so great between amp and cab when there is much of a distance.
TomS

Grant Bunter

#53 Post by Grant Bunter »

^ That turned out to be a really weird, all over the place quote Tom!
Built:

jmanso

#54 Post by jmanso »

Grant Bunter wrote: :wall: not much point asking after you ordered.
You shouldn't make a speaker cable longer than 10 m with that thickness. 2.5mm squared per wire would have been better.
Aha i agree but ordered the dbx unit and had free shipping. I figured i could always use it for xlr cables for the rack and mixer connections if it wasnt great for the speakers. Also i thought it was the 2.5mm not 1.5.

Anyway if its suitable for inside the titan than all the better

Tom Smit

#55 Post by Tom Smit »

Grant Bunter wrote:^ That turned out to be a really weird, all over the place quote Tom!
You liked that, huh? Yup, I got messed up somehow. Usually, I proof-read before I "submit".
TomS

Bruce Weldy

#56 Post by Bruce Weldy »

jmanso wrote:I figured i could always use it for xlr cables for the rack and mixer connections if it wasnt great for the speakers.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wall: :cop:

That is speaker cable, not signal cable. You cannot substitute one for the other. Speaker cable has no shield....signal cable MUST have a shield....not to mention 3 wires, not just two.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

#57 Post by Grant Bunter »

jmanso wrote:I figured i could always use it for xlr cables for the rack and mixer connections if it wasnt great for the speakers.
Ummm no you can't use it for that purpose.
XLR cables require shielded 2 core cable. You need microphone cable to make up XLR cables.
The same microphone cable can also be used for any other type of signal cables.
Be careful if wiring up unbalanced XLR to 6.5mm/ 1/4" jacks cables and the -ve (nominally pin 3 on the XLR) to ground/shield at the 6.5mm/ 1/4" jack end.

You could possibly use your 16G wire for short (say 2 -3 metres) cab to cab connects, as well as in cab wiring.

The reason you need heavier wire for speaker cabs in pro PA situations is the ability of any given wire to carry current.
You can see from the table on this page:
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

That 16G wire can carry a maximum of 3.7 amps for power transmission. 12G can carry 9.3 amps.
60V out of an 8 ohm load on an amplifier also has a current of 7.5 amps, so more than the 16G wire can carry.

I also found a chart that gives maximum cable length, dependant on load:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire

You can see that going from 8 ohm use to 4 ohm use roughly halves maximum cable length.
Also, please note the caveat that no speaker cable should be longer than 50 feet/15m just under the first table. This is to minimise loss in output...
Built:

jmanso

#58 Post by jmanso »

Easily the worst panel to glue, we finally have the 2nd side done!

We had everything set up, all clamped in place, and when we started adding weight to the center we noticed the side was slightly warped and eeeeeverything came out of place. we spent about 45 min re-setting all the clamps, only to find that upon placing weight on it again it came loose again.. 30 min later and everything seemed to stay pretty neat.

probably gonna have some leak in the back put hopefully nothing that we can't correct.

Most important lesson learned from the build.... Use screws !! We're definitly taking that approach on our 2nd titan.

It may be prone to having more mistakes since we have no carpentry experience, but at least it assures the final result with a bit more work.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics I managed to get, before setting panel, and final arrangements.
Attachments
build12.jpg
build13.jpg

jmanso

#59 Post by jmanso »

First of all let me thank you for the enlightenment regarding speaker cable!

I've been posting from work lately and I hadn't really had the time to properly read all you've explained until now. And it seems there's I have a lot of studying to do.

Anyway I have some spare XLR cables to do initial testing, and will only buy some big cables in a few weeks, I'll probably ask then which one is best.

Finally, an update... it stands !! it's sturdy ! it's a little crooked but for first attempt with 0 carpentry experience I must say I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

We tried loading the driver yesterday, to make sure it would stand correctly and everything fit perfectly.

One question I have, how do we test for internal leaks ? I placed a flashlight between panels 2 and 6 to look inside and there was squeezeout everywhere so I'm assuming it's ok, but is there any way to test for sure ?

We did find a leak on one corner where there wasn't enough weight but addresed it yesterday will pay special attention when testing.
Attachments
build14.jpg

Tom Smit

#60 Post by Tom Smit »

While building, some people have shone a light at the bottom edge of each panel after it was installed to see if light appeared on the other side.

The rest of the answer is on the top of page 26 in your plans. (my typing finger hurts :mrgreen: )
TomS