Dual THTLP's

Post your build odyssey here.
Grant Bunter

Re: Dual THTLP's

#31 Post by Grant Bunter »

^ +1
Have to agree!
They look fantastic in the room finished as they are :)
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Radian

#32 Post by Radian »

Where's the sub?! :lol: :clap:
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

brian6751

#33 Post by brian6751 »

thanks guys!

i have seen the nice table tubas done as tables and storage cabinets. These are much too big to pass for that, so i thought to myself what would be the best way to get these to blend into a room? Answer: Make them look like part of the architecture!!! they should blend even better in a room with the same color paint.

matt996

#34 Post by matt996 »

Those look awesome, nice job! Not too many ways to conceal a sub that big... I bet they must pound.

maxo

#35 Post by maxo »

how it sound !!!
spill the beans
It is not the bananas but the monkey

brian6751

#36 Post by brian6751 »

maxo wrote:how it sound !!!
spill the beans
i really want to wait until i get them set up in the basement before i give any kind of review. My living room where i have the one now has HUGE suckouts and im not even using Auddssey right now. im also limited to that one location as far as placement. In the basement i will be able to position both of them where they work best.

That said.... Compared to all the other subs i have had in that location, im very impressed with the sound quality. IMO It is right there with the PB13-Ultra i had. I wouldnt say ones better, just different. The PB13 has a "thicker" sound to it. The THT, more horn like. The best compliment i can give a sub is that i always have to stick my head inside to make sure its working because it blends with the mains so well. Thats the case here with my "little" CS-1T's. I can keep cranking it up and it sounds clear and powerful. No sense of distortion. No chuffing. Just clean output at levels that i shouldn't be listening to. I have no doubt two of these things will keep up with my soon to be complete Cornscala's just fine.

Gregory East

#37 Post by Gregory East »

They are very pretty but look to be too far from the ceiling in the living room.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

brian6751

#38 Post by brian6751 »

Gregory East wrote:They are very pretty but look to be too far from the ceiling in the living room.
24"

I thought about making risers for them. How tall should I make them? Basement ceiling is a couple inches taller. Was thinking 6-8".

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#39 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

brian6751 wrote:
Gregory East wrote:They are very pretty but look to be too far from the ceiling in the living room.
24"
They're fine.

brian6751

#40 Post by brian6751 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
brian6751 wrote:
24"
They're fine.
Thanks Bill. Would I gain anything by getting them closer to the ceiling? The risers wouldn't be too much trouble to make.

Gregory East

#41 Post by Gregory East »

I thought they looked about 3ft below the ceiling.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

brian6751

#42 Post by brian6751 »

Gregory East wrote:I thought they looked about 3ft below the ceiling.
Nope. 24" on the button

brian6751

#43 Post by brian6751 »

i did some planning in the basement and it looks like these are going to have to go in the front corners. i am going to make risers to add another 6-7 inches to the base. Ill make them out of 2x6's and some 1/2' ply then screw it into the base.

thats the highest i can get them because there will be a low hanging heat vent about 2-3 inches from the mouth of one of them at that height. that should get them real close to 18-20" from the upstairs sub floor.

I hope that doesnt mess things up. im sure it wont effect air flow.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#44 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

brian6751 wrote:i did some planning in the basement and it looks like these are going to have to go in the front corners. i am going to make risers to add another 6-7 inches to the base. Ill make them out of 2x6's and some 1/2' ply then screw it into the base.

thats the highest i can get them because there will be a low hanging heat vent about 2-3 inches from the mouth of one of them at that height. that should get them real close to 18-20" from the upstairs sub floor.
I'd try them with no stands and then with something temporary before going to all that trouble for something you may not hear.

brian6751

#45 Post by brian6751 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
brian6751 wrote:i did some planning in the basement and it looks like these are going to have to go in the front corners. i am going to make risers to add another 6-7 inches to the base. Ill make them out of 2x6's and some 1/2' ply then screw it into the base.

I'd try them with no stands and then with something temporary before going to all that trouble for something you may not hear.

ok i will try that. i was always under the impression that i HAVE to get the mouth within 18" of a boundary.