Home Audio Build. TLAH, SLA Curve, TTLS

Post your build odyssey here.
BassMe

Home Audio Build. TLAH, SLA Curve, TTLS

#1 Post by BassMe »

Well after 2 years of being on this forum, 2 years of nagging many people with my questions and 2 years of fervently waiting for university to finish and for me to get a "real" job I am finally there.

And so it begins.

Stage 1:

2x TLAH and 2x TTLS.

Stage 2:

9 Driver Curved SLA and 4x dual woofer surrounds.

I expect the build will continue over the next 2-3 months.

I will be using the Apex Jr Tweeters and the Tang Band W3-881SI 3" Full range driver. Through the plans and my questions with Bill I have decided that these drivers are feasible. There is some conflict about their actual specifications, but either set of specifications is sufficient. Note that the W3 has been very successfully used in 50Hz Tuned Transmission Line builds.

I am going to cross the W3 at 6k Hz to the apex Jr Tweets. The W3 can be spaced at 82mm C-C distance.

Anyway I will update this thread as I progress. Picture for today:

Two W8-740P drivers for my TTLS being broken in.

A big thank-you to Bill for his continued support to this community and thank-you to the community to its' continued support and tolerance of my many questions.

Also the first of many questions I'm sure.
Are these appropriate? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130561361188 ... 1438.l2649 as the are awfully cheap when you get combined shipping.

BassMe

Re: Home Audio Build. TLAH, SLA Curve, TTLS

#2 Post by BassMe »

Is there a down side to making my TLAH baffles a bit thinner? Say approx 6"? Seeing as I am using 3" woofers and very smaller tweeters I dont really need all the baffle real estate is all.

Making the square version, not the triangular one.

Thanks!

88h88

#3 Post by 88h88 »

I've recently taken delivery of a ohfuckshitton of plywood and a nice JBL GTO 804 for a TTLS so I'll be watching this thread closely assuming I don't sit out in the garage for the next week and git r dun ASAP.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

el_ingeniero

#4 Post by el_ingeniero »

BassMe wrote:Is there a down side to making my TLAH baffles a bit thinner? Say approx 6"? Seeing as I am using 3" woofers and very smaller tweeters I dont really need all the baffle real estate is all.

Making the square version, not the triangular one.

Thanks!
I think you'd have to change the depth of the cabinet to get the internal volume right, but this is a transmission line design not a ported box, so I might be wrong about that.

el_ingeniero

#5 Post by el_ingeniero »

BassMe wrote:I will be using the Apex Jr Tweeters ...
Hey, can you point me at a frequency response graph of those Apex Jr tweets?

BassMe

#6 Post by BassMe »

loudsubz

#7 Post by loudsubz »

are the vent holes on those subs being blocked while you were breaking them in?

BassMe

#8 Post by BassMe »

Thinking of surround options. Seeing as my woofers are 3" Fullrangers that can reach 10k Hz pretty easy I am not bothering with tweeters on the surrounds.

I have read what Bill and others have noted about surrounds and think I might have come up with a workable idea.

I have taken inspiration from XF Cab, Curved SLA and Wedgehorn. Roughly 2L Sealed Box for an Fs = 110Hz. Woofers cross-firing. Back of box is angled so that it can either be mounted high down firing to listening area or mounted medium high firing up into the roof. Gives me a chance to try both and see what I enjoy the most.

Doubling of drivers and 4 ohm wiring will give me approx 92-93dB SPL. Which should be more than enough. Cross-fire gives me wider dispersion and helps reduce combing.

I am trying to design these rather small and light so that I can use those stick on hooks as I live in a rental.

Any Ideas?

In other news I picked up a work bench for $4 and borrowed a selection of tools from friends and family. I need to pickup a cheap router and sander. Ordered my tweeters. Will order cross over components for LCR next week. Going to clean my garage this afternoon and setup a work area!
Attachments
Diagram.jpg

BassMe

#9 Post by BassMe »

Tweeters arrived today. Expect my woofers early next week. I forsee a great deal of soldering in my future.

These tweeters have a little sponge on the back which is obviously used as a gasket. Hinting that these should be front mounted. I really want them rear mounted. Should I just screw them on and run some hot glue or silicon around them and over the screws?

Problem I am thinking of is that there will only be 6mm of wood between each tweeter hole. I can't exactly round that over very well. I guess all the tweet rounder overs would merge together through the center line.
Attachments
Tweeters2.jpg

Grant Bunter

#10 Post by Grant Bunter »

BassMe wrote: I forsee a great deal of soldering in my future.
As do I lol.

Seriously, keep up the good work mate!
A thought, just one piezo in the surrounds would jump your frequency response heaps...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Tom Smit

#11 Post by Tom Smit »

BassMe wrote:Tweeters arrived today. Expect my woofers early next week. I forsee a great deal of soldering in my future.

These tweeters have a little sponge on the back which is obviously used as a gasket. Hinting that these should be front mounted. I really want them rear mounted. Should I just screw them on and run some hot glue or silicon around them and over the screws?

Problem I am thinking of is that there will only be 6mm of wood between each tweeter hole. I can't exactly round that over very well. I guess all the tweet rounder overs would merge together through the center line.
The round-over would take most of the wood away. That might make it a bit tricky to do but doable if one goes light and easy (I think). Does your bit have a bearing?
TomS

BassMe

#12 Post by BassMe »

Yeah the round over bit does. I'm using a 19mm think front baffle as well, so a 1/2" rounder over will leave a good solid bit at the bottom of the hole, and the tops will merge in the center.

BassMe

#13 Post by BassMe »

And so the long part of line arrays begins. Anyone got a smarter idea for wiring these suckers?

Tom Smit

#14 Post by Tom Smit »

Um, how about one loooooong wire, with insulation stripped at each tweeter terminal? :)
TomS

BassMe

#15 Post by BassMe »

Thanks for the help today Tom.
I tried fiddling with that and couldn't get the wire to strip properly. Any hints?

When I strip the wire for the next section it pushes the plastic sheath along the wire covering the area I last exposed lol. I'll fiddle with it some more tomorrow. It is the more logical idea.

Nite all.