SLA Pro

Post your build odyssey here.
bzb

SLA Pro

#1 Post by bzb »

I've completed the pair and they're already booked for 3 gigs this summer. First wedding gig is May 14th.

This first picture has the one on the left with the grill foam. The one on the right isn't 100% finished in this picture, but it's intended to show that they really don't look too bad in white without the grill foam. The grill needs one more coat of paint and it'll be mounted.

slapro1 by bzbatl, on Flickr

Got some bags made by Connie. Quick turnaround, cost about $60. connietookie23@aol.com

slapro2 by bzbatl, on Flickr

Video review will be posted when I've got some time to take em to an indoor venue and compare them to other cabs.

----------------------------------------------------------

Yep, couldn't wait.

Ripped all 8 panels from Arauco. Was going to do the baffle in BB, but I'm out of panels long enough... and I'm too impatient to wait until tomorrow night to start ;)

Laid out the centers for the drivers. Used a hole saw for the tweets.

Setup for the woofers. Using a Craftsman circle cutter, same setup as the holes for the T39 mouth braces.

However, this was taking way too long on my POS drill press, so the plan is to use some 1/4" Luan I have laying around for a template, and cut the first hole on it. Then I'll use the router to make me a nice 1/2" template. I'll then use double sided masking tape and a flush cut bit to make the driver holes.
Last edited by bzb on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10
Powered by XTi 1000 & 2000

bzb

Re: SLA Pro

#2 Post by bzb »

Baffle all cut.

Side port/handle setup with double-sided masking tape. Holds pretty well as long as you don't handle the router like an ape.

First glue up. Love the W jigs!

Going to glue up the braces after this first panel dries, then I'll actually be patient and wait for drivers to make sure they fit before I glue up the baffle.
Bobby Shively

Built:
Powered by XTi 1000 & 2000

ewetho

#3 Post by ewetho »

GO GO GO!!!

Chris_Allen

#4 Post by Chris_Allen »

Ever considered modifying some of your braces so that you can keep a square edge as well as bracing?
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Chris_Allen wrote:Ever considered modifying some of your braces so that you can keep a square edge as well as bracing?
Wouldn't be hard. Just tack on a 3 to 4 inch long strip of 1/4" ply on the two edges that overhangs by 1/4". That way it can do the job and still sit flat.

Downside is that you could only use those braces at the ends. I use 'em all over the place. Lining up the ends has always been way less troublesome that keeping the panels square. But building a set with the "wings" on 'em wouldn't be a bad thing.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

bzb

#6 Post by bzb »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
Chris_Allen wrote:Ever considered modifying some of your braces so that you can keep a square edge as well as bracing?
Wouldn't be hard. Just tack on a 3 to 4 inch long strip of 1/4" ply on the two edges that overhangs by 1/4". That way it can do the job and still sit flat.

Downside is that you could only use those braces at the ends. I use 'em all over the place. Lining up the ends has always been way less troublesome that keeping the panels square. But building a set with the "wings" on 'em wouldn't be a bad thing.
Agreed - I have a jigs that have the edge guides, but they're for... edges :)

I will be temporarily tacking a guide board for the baffle (or possibly just installing the top first), because it is insanely light and will slide around on the PL bead. Most of the time the edge panels are heavy enough that they'll stay put once you squeeze them down.
Bobby Shively

Built: