Simplexx 110 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Das Jugghead

Re: Simplexx 110 Build

#46 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:PL should work fine. I use 3M spray adhesive because it's so fast and easy to work with.
Thank you for the tip - I will definitely employee that technique on my next build.

Das Jugghead

#47 Post by Das Jugghead »

Back panels attached using finish nails and clamps and what I had available in the basement. Tomorrow is drilling for the speaker mounting screws for the purpose of temporarily installing the speakers so I can find the center of gravity for the handles.

I am really looking forward to getting these cabinets done so I can try them out.
IMG_7401.jpg

Chris_Allen

#48 Post by Chris_Allen »

Das Jugghead wrote:Back panels attached using finish nails and clamps and what I had available in the basement. Tomorrow is drilling for the speaker mounting screws for the purpose of temporarily installing the speakers so I can find the center of gravity for the handles.

I am really looking forward to getting these cabinets done so I can try them out.
IMG_7401.jpg
Very EVH - certainly original.

I do like the way people personalise their cabs, I think it adds to the live visual experience.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Das Jugghead

#49 Post by Das Jugghead »

Chris_Allen wrote:
Das Jugghead wrote:Back panels attached using finish nails and clamps and what I had available in the basement. Tomorrow is drilling for the speaker mounting screws for the purpose of temporarily installing the speakers so I can find the center of gravity for the handles.

The attachment IMG_7401.jpg is no longer available
Very EVH - certainly original.

I do like the way people personalise their cabs, I think it adds to the live visual experience.
Hey Chris thanks for the compliment. The painted cabs were thrown together using scrap plywood I had and old Hartke speakers that were sitting in the basement to get them used in something. The paint was more of a tongue in cheek "let's put lipstick on a pig" joke than a serious effort and turned out surprisingly okay. I have to agree that I prefer to see elements that add to the visual performance; be it players who move around, gear that has a visual attraction, media that compliments the music, etc. .. . Nothing gets me to the next bar or club down the street faster than a band that has had their feet PL'd to the stage. I like being a little different from the standard issue black cabinets. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with that - it's just not for me.

Here's another shot of the other cabinet setting up with cheap (albeit effective) Harbor Freight clamps.
IMG_7400.jpg

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#50 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Chris_Allen wrote: Very EVH
More like Jackson Pollock. They could be worth millions :hyper: ...after you're dead :wall: .

Das Jugghead

#51 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Chris_Allen wrote: Very EVH
More like Jackson Pollock. They could be worth millions :hyper: ...after you're dead :wall: .
Ha - thanks! A friend of mine made the Jackson Pollock comment as well after seeing them. Not sure about the millions but if I can get the old cabinets sold and out of the basement for $100 I know my wife would be glad to see them out of there.
Last edited by Das Jugghead on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Das Jugghead

#52 Post by Das Jugghead »

Cleaned up the excess PL with a sharp chisel.
IMG_7402.jpg

Das Jugghead

#53 Post by Das Jugghead »

Rough handle placement prior to working out the center of gravity.
IMG_7405.jpg

Das Jugghead

#54 Post by Das Jugghead »

Finding the center of gravity left to right with driver temporarily installed.
IMG_7419.jpg
Finding the center of gravity front to back with the handle.
IMG_7423.jpg

Das Jugghead

#55 Post by Das Jugghead »

Handle pockets routed. Now to deliver cabinets to Colorship Media on Monday to be wrapped.
IMG_7450.jpg

Das Jugghead

#56 Post by Das Jugghead »

Hey Bill question for you concerning the vent ports. Can they be covered with grill cloth or metal grill cover?

Many thanks in advance.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#57 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

They can, but cloth would be better than metal, as metal would affect the port tuning.

Das Jugghead

#58 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:They can, but cloth would be better than metal, as metal would affect the port tuning.
Copy that - thank you

Das Jugghead

#59 Post by Das Jugghead »

Hey Bill a follow-up question.

I had posted your response over on TalkBass for the purposes of a conversation ongoing there about grill clothe and metal grills on the Simplex series and a comment was made that

"If the metal grill is set an inch in front of the port opening, it won't affect the tuning in practice. Certainly no different than what happens if you set a grill in front of a speaker. (for grills with a reasonable open space ratio)".

Can you please clarify this as well?

Many thanks

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#60 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

It's true that with an inch of clearance that a metal grille's effect will be lessened, possibly eliminated, but as soon as I say 'it's OK to use a metal grille' someone will mount one tight to the baffle, mess up the tuning, and blame the design. Besides, what happens when a grille is placed close to a speaker is something else entirely.