Simplexx 18 Pro Build . . the weatherproof version

Post your build odyssey here.
Hackomatic

Re: Simplexx 18 Pro Build . . the weatherproof version

#16 Post by Hackomatic »

Second layer of weather protection . . 1/2" polyester filter media . . .
6.jpg
. .from the front . .
7.jpg
Third layer . . Pet screen . .
8.jpg
. .fourth layer one more layer of fiberglass screen . .
9.jpg
. .and finally, the stainless grill . .
10.jpg
Dave H

Hackomatic

#17 Post by Hackomatic »

Securing the grill with aluminum bar and stainless screws . . The clamps holding the bar tight to the edge . .
11.jpg
The finished look . . .
12.jpg
I left a gap in the bottom so that if by some miracle water ever made it past my defenses, it would have a place to drain.
13.jpg
The "L" brackets are the bottom front swivel attachment points and will be secured to lengths of SuperStrut bolted to the roof. I'll get more pics of the installation so you can see how it all came together . . .
Dave H

miked

#18 Post by miked »

Looks fantastic. Your attention to detail is very impressive. I enjoy all the pics and detailed descriptions of what/how you do things. Digging the SS grills/mounting bars too. Where'd you get that stuff? Where do you get the sheet PVC from? I'm not building anything like this; just curious. :)

67baja

#19 Post by 67baja »

Great build as usual. Can you compare the output of the Simplexx to any of Bill's horn loaded designs?
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

Hackomatic

#20 Post by Hackomatic »

@mike . . Thanks! compared to the Otops, these are a breeze. You may have seen the Otops languishing in the background on that next to last pic. Not sure what to do with them . . sell 'em I guess, if I can find a buyer . . we'll see. The PVC comes from Freckleface . . . http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/stor ... sheet.html
The stainless grills and aluminum bar from Metals Depot . . .https://www.metalsdepot.com/index.php

@ baja . . Thank you as well! I can't say how these compare because I've never heard any of the horns. I can tell you that these have punch, clarity and dig deep. I'm high passing them @ 32hz/ 48dB and nothing was lacking on the low end. The press box was rattling decently, but the sound out in the stadium was superlative. I really am concerned about the structural integrity of the press box as I add the additional boxes. If a pane of glass doesn't shatter or get dislodged, I'd be surprised. :shock:
Dave H

billkatz

#21 Post by billkatz »

Hackomatic wrote:@mike . . Thanks! compared to the Otops, these are a breeze. You may have seen the Otops languishing in the background on that next to last pic. Not sure what to do with them . . sell 'em I guess, if I can find a buyer . . we'll see.
Why did you give up on the PVC Otops? They looked like they were coming along nicely.
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

Hackomatic

#22 Post by Hackomatic »

it was all a matter of time. Building Otops concurrently with the Simplexx subs was too much to get completed in the amount of time I could dedicate to the project. Had I been building them with BB it probably would have been different. The PVC adds an element of complexity that translates mostly into longer build sessions. I still plan to finish them, they just won't be a part of the original stadium system.
Dave H

miked

#23 Post by miked »

Until the OTops are complete, they're not really saleable (IMO). But you could complete them and sell them to Bruce; he's gotten caught out in the rain at 9 of his 10 last gigs this year.
:loler:

It would be such a waste of time and MONEY to just junk them now. You could always sell them on EBay as "the best waterproof tops ever" or something like that.

Hackomatic

#24 Post by Hackomatic »

Oh believe me . . they ain't gettin' junked! I fully intend to finish them, test them, maybe keep them. My brother thinks he can find another school who might be interested in getting hold of some REAL speakers for their stadium. I'm amazed at the number of schools around here that throw Peavey PR 10s out into the weather and think they'll last forever. :noob:

. . and I'm sure Bruce would LOVE to hoist these babies up onto some poles! :fruit:
Dave H

Bruce Weldy

#25 Post by Bruce Weldy »

miked wrote:Until the OTops are complete, they're not really saleable (IMO). But you could complete them and sell them to Bruce; he's gotten caught out in the rain at 9 of his 10 last gigs this year.
:loler:
Remember.....I know where you live. :twisted:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."