It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:37 pm 

I have two J15 that I originally built for bass guitar duty without the HF section. They are not being used. I sometimes have need for for a simple full-range "speaker on a stick" PA where I need more end than an OT12 will provide but a T48 would be overkill and too much work. I think that retro-fitting a melded array and crossover and some top hats into the Jacks wouldn't be that difficult. Has anybody every done this before? Advice, tips?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:04 pm 

I've built J15's with the array, and I feel like adding the array should be easy. Adding the pole mount may be a challenge though, doesn't it go through some internals that have to be sealed around it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:02 am 

I'm guessing you built out of 1/2" plywood... pick up enough 3/4" half-round hardwood trim equal to the height of your J15 times 4, plus another 12", and a 3/4" hole saw. Cut 8 1/2" thick pieces of the trim. cut 4 pieces the lenght of the external height of the cab.

Build your array. Use the array to mock the placement on the outside of the J15, and make a simple drilling jig (this is important). Use the drilling jig and the hole saw to make 2 holes through the "top". Carefully mark and drill through the "bottom". Insert the half-round trim, using the array as an angle guide. PL the half-round into the drilled hole, and immediately add in the 1/2" wide cut-offs. Allow the PL to cure, sand and DuraTex the new array mounts, then attach your array.