It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:11 pm 

I wish I had read a review like this one before I bought the plans and built the cabinet. I have had the plans a very long time and had to get updates before building.
I sent the drawings to a CNC cutter and made one mistake in the drawing and corrected the cut before assembly. It's quite interesting how it goes together and the PL premium makes an amazing air-tight bond.
I used the Delta-Pro 12A and I have an eight tweeter array although I used the cabinet straight woofer because I didn't like the high end.
I used the cabinet on a gig today and I am going to put it for sale immediately. The bass sound is really clean and loud with a really full sound but it is virtually unusable in a band setting. I now know why I prefer the 4X10 SWR (I sold it and I am going to replace it ASAP). It was heavy but what I could do with it was I could occupy a frequency range below the guitar and above the kick drum. And I could shape it easily. The sound I use is a sound that blends with the kick drum percussively but with a bump between 200-300hz.
The Jack was very loud but without a range bump. To hear it, I had to turn it up and it has such a full sound it makes things noisy, but without being able to hear it.
The Jack is most surely not for me.
If there is anyone in Toronto Canada that wants to come try it out - please do - I live near the CNE downtown.
I hope forum members don't want to jump all over me and let this post live. I wish I had read a post like this - I may not have made the Jack.
My build was pretty awesome. The CNC cuts are pristine and my dimensions exact. THe cabinet was sealed really well. and the finish super good.
Don't get me wrong - this is almost the best sounding bass cabinet I have ever heard - but not useful (for me) in a band setting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:59 am 

You've stumbled onto the essential truth of an artist....

What's "best" is entirely subjective. If you're looking for a specific sound and you change out a component to something more efficient or more accurate, that will change the tone. Sometimes you like the change, sometimes you don't.

I'd suggest giving it some more time. Perhaps look into different pedals, effects, and head. What you're hearing is likely much truer to what you put into your head. If you can get your tone right in this cab, then your sound tech can take your head's XLR output and hear what you hear.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:54 am 

If you're looking for an eq bump, why not just bump your eq? If it's harmonic content, maybe try adding that back with a modeler or pedal.

I agree, don't give up so quickly. These cabs are definently a different animal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:07 pm 

I agree, you need to spend more time adjusting your EQ and effects. The Jack series are very clean and articulate cabinets, and will reveal any and every flaw. It takes time and patience to adjust to "your tone". Not "jumping" on you at all.

A couple of questions:
1: Was there anyone in the listening audience that would give you an honest feedback opinion about your sound?
2: Did you install the filters/crossovers that Bill has in the plans?
3: Are you absolutely sure there are no air leaks, or missing sound deadening material on the inside of the cab?

Anecdote: My 2 J12s sound light-years better than my friends $1900 double stack of MarkBass 4x10 Neo cabs. His words, not mine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:44 am 

Thanks - I have been really trying to think about why I find the sound so unusable. I used the Delta Pro 12 A and I see on Eminence site it is used in full range monitors and from their site:
DeltaPro12 Small Mid/Hi Sat Box or Hi Pwr Floor Wedge and want a 24db slope below 100 hz. I am not sure but I think that is my problem. I don't like too much low bass - if someone doesn't know what to do with it. I can use the low bass. I adjust my playing. If notes are boomy I adjust. But I find it such a powerful tool to have and this Jack does not have it.

I am really unhappy I bought this speaker. Maybe I would have a different experience with a LF speaker.

Still trying to puzzle this one out but I do not know what to do To me it sounds the same whether the filter is in or if I player just straight woofer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:37 am 

I can't comment about the Delta Pro 12 A. Both of my J12s have DeltaLite II 2512. The new one was broken in for 24 hours with a 25Hz tone. The other one was built and used by Bill, himself.

Remove all EQ and any pedals/effects. Go from your bass to the amp to the cab. If you have the means to, record and upload the tone.