It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:04 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:36 am 

Bill's explanation in the write up about guitar cabs makes a lot of sense, but!! this can all be negated by the amplifier and the the music one is playing. Guitarists are a very selfish lot,and rightly so, they all want their own tone.These days with the processors that are available a lot of them copy each other, but.....the tone they get is just not fat enough,especially at low volumes, nothing worse than distortion at low volumes with no fat.Maybe this is just part of the digital era we find ourselves in.
So any good guitar players out there with amp suggestions for the FX210. I have my thoughts but would like to hear others before I stick my neck out...............and get it chopped off :D :chainsaw:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:38 am 

Mkulu wrote:
Bill's explanation in the write up about guitar cabs makes a lot of sense, but!! this can all be negated by the amplifier and the the music one is playing. Guitarists are a very selfish lot,and rightly so, they all want their own tone.These days with the processors that are available a lot of them copy each other, but.....the tone they get is just not fat enough,especially at low volumes, nothing worse than distortion at low volumes with no fat.Maybe this is just part of the digital era we find ourselves in.
So any good guitar players out there with amp suggestions for the FX210. I have my thoughts but would like to hear others before I stick my neck out...............and get it chopped off :D :chainsaw:

Woops wrong part of the forum... :bash:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:44 am 

A low-wattage tube amp matches nicely with the XF210. Anywhere from 5-25 watts lets you get plenty of volume, but at a level that allow the tubes to break up without blowing away everybody else in the room.

I use a Mesa Boogie Mark V:25.....switchable 10 or 25 watts on each channel. While I typically run direct out of this amp, I've used it both through an XF210 and a single 12 cab. The lower power lets it break up lower volumes, but still has enough push to play pretty danged loud if necessary.

Several companies are making low-wattage tube amps now....just have to try 'em out to see what fits the style and sound you want to play.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:20 pm 

Bruce Weldy wrote:
A low-wattage tube amp matches nicely with the XF210. Anywhere from 5-25 watts lets you get plenty of volume, but at a level that allow the tubes to break up without blowing away everybody else in the room.

I use a Mesa Boogie Mark V:25.....switchable 10 or 25 watts on each channel. While I typically run direct out of this amp, I've used it both through an XF210 and a single 12 cab. The lower power lets it break up lower volumes, but still has enough push to play pretty danged loud if necessary.

Several companies are making low-wattage tube amps now....just have to try 'em out to see what fits the style and sound you want to play.

Hi Bruce, thanks
I grew up musically in the latter 60's and 70's, when transistor amps started to take over from valves, I add here that most commercial amps were not very successful at this, they were just too clean.I experimented with motorola output transistors and a high gain preamp. The pre amp would overload the input to the main and volume was controlled by turning the main amp volume down.It was a 100W unit.
The sound was very much like an EL34 tube valve amp, I played it through a 4 x 12 100 watt Goodman drivers loaded cab which was made by Laney. So know the tone I want,even if I have to build the amp.
It's a blues players dream sound.Even modern electric blues.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:27 pm 

Mkulu wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:

Hi Bruce, thanks
I grew up musically in the latter 60's and 70's, when transistor amps started to take over from valves, I add here that most commercial amps were not very successful at this, they were just too clean.I experimented with motorola output transistors and a high gain preamp. The pre amp would overload the input to the main and volume was controlled by turning the main amp volume down.It was a 100W unit.
The sound was very much like an EL34 tube valve amp, I played it through a 4 x 12 100 watt Goodman drivers loaded cab which was made by Laney. So know the tone I want,even if I have to build the amp.
It's a blues players dream sound.Even modern electric blues.

:D I add here, with my 1970 Gibson gold top I've had since new, a sound that is wicked.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:22 pm 

I don't want to sound like I'm raining on the valve amp parade: They are nice, and that really can't be disputed. I think they're great for the studio. For practice, road and stage, the maintenance required just doesn't seem worth it. I am a moderator over at guitarpcb.com and there are quite a few easy ways to get the breakup you want at any volume. My son, for whom I am an effects tech, runs a B52 half stack that is set up to run clinically clean. His sets may require a Strat, LP, lap steel, 12 string or nylon classical. Whatever he picks up for the song will sound predictable and colored only by the effects pedals he wants. I keep a DI on his pedalboard output in case there is an amp failure and once in a while I will blend the DI with the mic on the cabinet but there is very little difference.

A simple LED-based overdrive will get you a lot of breakup, but the biggest thing you can do for your rig, no matter what amp or cab you may run, is to buffer your input. Try the Stage3 at guitarpcb.com (listen to all of the demos, for that matter).

In all of our gear, there are no more valves. I even replaced the amp in the Leslie...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:27 pm 

Mkulu wrote:
:D I add here, with my 1970 Gibson gold top I've had since new, a sound that is wicked.

1973 LP Deluxe sunburst....bought it brand new...still my gigging guitar for rock and blues.

1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:41 pm 

David Raehn wrote:

In all of our gear, there are no more valves. I even replaced the amp in the Leslie...

I started running direct with no speaker cab in 1998. Line 6 Pod 2.0, Ethos Pedal (Dumble clone) with a Boss ME6, Boogie Formula Pre (tube preamp), and now the Mark V. All of them sounded good and I have no problem with electronic stuff. But, I do like the tubes for the Allman Bros-type music I play in the current band. Luckily, I've had no problem with tube amps over the years at all.

I'm just not a fan of pedals.....I'd rather just plug in and let the amp provide the overdrive for the style I play.

A month back, I took my 335 and a Roland Cube with a 10" in it to a country gig. Was perfect for the gig and plenty loud.

There's no one right way to do it......believe me, there have been times when I've run sound that I'd rather have the guitar straight into the board rather than the tube amp who's knobs the player has yet learned to control..... :bash: A Fender Twin that sounds likes fingernails on a chalkboard....really?

Truth is that a lot of guitar players who play loud because that's how they get "their tone" are just substituting volume for actual tone. Good tone sounds good at any volume. But, unfortunately.....effects are NOT tone, they are effects....and there's nothing worse than hearing reverb, delay, chorus (all at the same time) and not being able to pick out the note anywhere in that mess.

However, the guitar player I mixed last night played through a Fender Deluxe that was thumping, but he had the forethought to bring his own plexiglass shield. Allowed me to mix very nicely. So, there are those occasional guys that restore some faith in humanity.....

1 - T24
2 - XF210

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:49 pm 

Bruce Weldy wrote:
Mkulu wrote:

1973 LP Deluxe sunburst....bought it brand new...still my gigging guitar for rock and blues.

Lovely. :D :D

1970 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top with mini humbuckers. All original.Mint except for a bit of sweat greening.
I leave it at home hidden away only take it out for special gigs,theft is a major problem down here.
Best rock and blues guitar ever made............I have a few of the others too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:52 pm 

Bruce Weldy wrote:
David Raehn wrote:

I started running direct with no speaker cab in 1998. Line 6 Pod 2.0, Ethos Pedal (Dumble clone) with a Boss ME6, Boogie Formula Pre (tube preamp), and now the Mark V. All of them sounded good and I have no problem with electronic stuff. But, I do like the tubes for the Allman Bros-type music I play in the current band. Luckily, I've had no problem with tube amps over the years at all.

I'm just not a fan of pedals.....I'd rather just plug in and let the amp provide the overdrive for the style I play.

A month back, I took my 335 and a Roland Cube with a 10" in it to a country gig. Was perfect for the gig and plenty loud.

There's no one right way to do it......believe me, there have been times when I've run sound that I'd rather have the guitar straight into the board rather than the tube amp who's knobs the player has yet learned to control..... :bash: A Fender Twin that sounds likes fingernails on a chalkboard....really?

Truth is that a lot of guitar players who play loud because that's how they get "their tone" are just substituting volume for actual tone. Good tone sounds good at any volume. But, unfortunately.....effects are NOT tone, they are effects....and there's nothing worse than hearing reverb, delay, chorus (all at the same time) and not being able to pick out the note anywhere in that mess.

However, the guitar player I mixed last night played through a Fender Deluxe that was thumping, but he had the forethought to bring his own plexiglass shield. Allowed me to mix very nicely. So, there are those occasional guys that restore some faith in humanity.....

I like it. :cowboy:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:54 pm 

David Raehn wrote:
I don't want to sound like I'm raining on the valve amp parade: They are nice, and that really can't be disputed. I think they're great for the studio. For practice, road and stage, the maintenance required just doesn't seem worth it. I am a moderator over at guitarpcb.com and there are quite a few easy ways to get the breakup you want at any volume. My son, for whom I am an effects tech, runs a B52 half stack that is set up to run clinically clean. His sets may require a Strat, LP, lap steel, 12 string or nylon classical. Whatever he picks up for the song will sound predictable and colored only by the effects pedals he wants. I keep a DI on his pedalboard output in case there is an amp failure and once in a while I will blend the DI with the mic on the cabinet but there is very little difference.

A simple LED-based overdrive will get you a lot of breakup, but the biggest thing you can do for your rig, no matter what amp or cab you may run, is to buffer your input. Try the Stage3 at guitarpcb.com (listen to all of the demos, for that matter).

I like it. :cowboy:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:12 pm 

I know this is not the correct spot for vids, but here's some blues on a strat, and he isn't really into blues....

I built the 'cornish'-style effects board for him (all circuits by hand).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljB9C64KYv8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:02 pm 

Mkulu wrote:

1970 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top with mini humbuckers.

Mine too. That one was $100 cheaper than the Custom. And I was in high school, so I went with the cheaper one. $500 plus tax.

1 - T24
2 - XF210

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:04 pm 

David Raehn wrote:
I know this is not the correct spot for vids, but here's some blues on a strat, and he isn't really into blues....

I built the 'cornish'-style effects board for him (all circuits by hand).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljB9C64KYv8

Got some chops!

1 - T24
2 - XF210

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:26 pm 

Thanks! He has a gift, that's for sure.

He has no interest in the PA side of things, but his little brother does...

Silly as it sounds, I have a 10 year old that has run my B rig without me.... :noob: