It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:45 am 

Hi there,

I've just checked, it's been four years and a half since I came here... :oops:

Anyway, with plans and help I found here, I've been able to build 2 jack 12 for bass, they still ( :oops: :oops: :oops: ) need to have the grill cloth added, but anyway, they sound great, even if I don't use them that much, as I went back to my first love, guitar.

So, about guitar and my rig, I play on a Matamp Gt40 mkII, an amp similar to an Orange OR50, with a duet of EL34. I mainly play it on a Marshall 1960 Vintage (a 412 with vintage 30 speakers).

I like the tone I get from it, that's suiting my likings, and weight doesn't bother me that much, but lighter could, of course, be better!

But my biggest concerns are about size... As I've got a sedan car, with separate trunk, my 412 takes all the room available, and it's hard for me to manage the rest of my gear into my car.

So, I've come to the conclusion I'd like a 212, and came here, because I remeber the XF series...

I think they could be a good choice, but before ordering plans, I've got few questions about them.

1/- About the cab's sound : I mainly play stoner rock, looking for fat 70's, heavy distorted tone (not high gain, but really gainy overdriven to fuzzy tones, in the Black Sabbth / Orange Goblin kind of sounds). I guess an XF212 can give me that, but a confirmation would be welcome! ;)

2/- About the wood : when I built Jack 12, I used 12mm (1/2") poplar plywood. Could the same wood be used there, or would spruce be a better choice? Does anyone has an idea of the effect of the wood chosen on the sound of the cab?

3/ - About my project... As Bill says, and he is 100% true, at least as far as I'm concerned, "Guitar players themselves have never had a problem with looking funny, but they do draw the line when it comes to how their gear looks".

And to get a nice looking cab, I would like to do it in the Matamp/Orange style, so square, like this one, but without the piping :

You can also see some pictures here :

http://matamp.co.uk/speaker-cabinets/2x12.htm

I've seen Mark Coward's cab, and would like to do something like this, to keep the box square :

But then, comes my greatest concern about such an option : the size...

I guess you can't give me the exact dimension of the 212XF cab, but I'd like to have an idea of the footprint of it, because I'm afraid it would be too deep for my trunk. I have to keep my box under 40 cm (approx 15", a little bit less would even be better) deep so I can move it in my car... Weight and Height aren't such probematic, but the depth is, as far as I'm concerned...

Sorry for being that long, I only realize now I've writen that much...

And of course, thanks in advance for your replies!

Cheers from France,

Bbr. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:12 am 
Site Admin

The XF212 is 13 inches / 33cm deep.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:39 am 

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply!

Just to get 100% sure, is that the maximum depth, at the bottom, so if I made a square box, it would be 13 inches deep from top to bottom ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Bbr6704 wrote:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply!

Just to get 100% sure, is that the maximum depth, at the bottom, so if I made a square box, it would be 13 inches deep from top to bottom ?

Correct.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:46 pm 

Wow it's been a while since I plan to build a XF212 cab, and since I asked firsts questions about it... Anyway, I just ordered the plans few minutes ago... Now the fun is about to begin! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:44 am 

Enjoy your build!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:07 am 

Hey there, plans received! Wow super fast service, thanks again Bill!

So I read them a first time yesterday night, think i'll keep doing this all this coming week, as I plan some particular finishes that may require some mods of the plans...

I'll make a square cab, in the Matamp/Orange style, to match my head, and maybe a bit taller, by installing a compartment under the cab, so I won't need to raise it, and as that could make a place to store cables and stuff (hope that makes sense to you...)

And here's the first question : On Matamp cabs, trere a piping on the cab, like on this pic :

After a first look, the process is to route a 3/8 bit to put the piping in.

The "channel" routed is around 3/8" deep or a bit more (4/5mm maybe), so my first concern is, as it's recomended to use some 1/2 plywood, would this one be strong enought with these two channels? Matamp uses 18mm (3/4 inch),and it seems to be ok, but what about 1/2?

Any advice will be welcome!

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:22 am 

Build a "lip" all the way around the inside front of the cab, with enough depth to recess the grill cloth. Take a look at Mark's cab you posted. He used pieces instead of a solid rim. Personally, I would make a removable frame for the cloth, to simplify any needed repairs. Grill cloth gets ripped up fairly easily.

Take my recess suggestion one step further, and recess it far enough back to install a hard cover plate, to protect the grill cloth during transport. Paint, DuraTex or Tolex it the same as the rest of the cab exterior.

Last edited by DJPhatman on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:23 am 

The baffles are slanted in and back, so you won't be putting piping on those panels anyway. You'll have to build a frame for the grill cloth....put the piping on there.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:46 pm 

What's with guitar players and how their stuff looks? 8)

I did this XF212 recently. Couldn't find the exact matching piping, so I left it off. You can order piping with a tab to secure it to the side of the frame that you'll be building.

DR200 ASD (Yes! Finally!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:00 pm 

Sorry guys, maybe I wasn't clear enough, I was speaking of the cabinet piping, not the grillcloth piping, the 2 white piping going on top and sides of the cab, like on this picture :

I've got my idea for the grillcloth, and as I'll make a square box, installing the cloth shouldn't be thta difficult, and I think I know how i'll do, but those chanels just make me wonder : the plywood is 12mm, the channel is 4 to 5 mm deep, so there's just 7mm of wood left (1/4 to 5/16)...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:28 pm 

Bbr6704 wrote:
Sorry guys, maybe I wasn't clear enough, I was speaking of the cabinet piping, not the grillcloth piping, the 2 white piping going on top and sides of the cab, like on this picture :

I've got my idea for the grillcloth, and as I'll make a square box, installing the cloth shouldn't be thta difficult, and I think I know how i'll do, but those chanels just make me wonder : the plywood is 12mm, the channel is 4 to 5 mm deep, so there's just 7mm of wood left (1/4 to 5/16)...

If you just have to have the piping on the box, then build the top and side panels from 3/4" ply.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:15 am 

Bbr6704 wrote:

Instead of using piping, which will get beat up and fall out, no matter how careful you think you might be, glue on a piece of half-round into a shallow routed channel. Paint the cab black, the half-round whatever highlight color you wish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:58 pm 

DJPhatman wrote:
Bbr6704 wrote:
Instead of using piping, which will get beat up and fall out, no matter how careful you think you might be, glue on a piece of half-round into a shallow routed channel. Paint the cab black, the half-round whatever highlight color you wish.

You couldn't glue the piping in the channel? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9-gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
OT12 flat array

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:31 pm 

Quote:
After a first look, the process is to route a 3/8 bit to put the piping in.

That sounds way to big a channel.
3/8" is 10mm.

Based on appearance only from the pics you posted, I'm thinking the piping would only be 2,5-3mm all up. Surely not more than 5mm...

3 x WH8 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...