Mixing and Matching cabs of the same type but with different HF drivers

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
Mkulu

Mixing and Matching cabs of the same type but with different HF drivers

#1 Post by Mkulu »

I am currently building 6 OT 15's.
What would be the effect of using piezos in the bottom 2 cabs in the array and using compression drivers in the top? Anyone tried it?

DJPhatman

Re: Mixing and Matching cabs of the same type but with different HF drivers

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

It's not a big deal, but you should be able to power and EQ the CD loaded ones separately from the piezo pair. Overall, they will play nice together.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Mkulu

#3 Post by Mkulu »

DJPhatman wrote:It's not a big deal, but you should be able to power and EQ the CD loaded ones separately from the piezo pair. Overall, they will play nice together.
Cool Thanks DJ. Need them for long throw to the back and piezos for near, dance floor and tables.

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Mkulu wrote:
DJPhatman wrote:It's not a big deal, but you should be able to power and EQ the CD loaded ones separately from the piezo pair. Overall, they will play nice together.
Cool Thanks DJ. Need them for long throw to the back and piezos for near, dance floor and tables.
It's a common held misconception that a melded piezo array isn't long throw. I can walk a long way from mine (more than 100m), and still hear them crystal clear. If they weren't long throw, that would not be the case.
The melded array simply has wider dispersion so that more of your audience gets to hear, nearer to the stage or whatever. That's also why you put them on the bottom of the stack.
I know you're going CD's, but the flat array is as it is to reduce cost. Less elements than the melded, and less horizontal dispersion.
The CD horn is the same, in that it has narrower horizontal dispersion, but is more expensive to build...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Mkulu

#5 Post by Mkulu »

Grant Bunter wrote:
Mkulu wrote:
It's a common held misconception that a melded piezo array isn't long throw. I can walk a long way from mine (more than 100m), and still hear them crystal clear. If they weren't long throw, that would not be the case.
The melded array simply has wider dispersion so that more of your audience gets to hear, nearer to the stage or whatever. That's also why you put them on the bottom of the stack.
I know you're going CD's, but the flat array is as it is to reduce cost. Less elements than the melded, and less horizontal dispersion.
The CD horn is the same, in that it has narrower horizontal dispersion, but is more expensive to build...
Out here it is less expensive to use CD's ADS 1001 or the other less expensive Eminence, there are plenty of Chinese ones available but with no specs, but having heard the Chinese brand name commercial PA's that are cheap there is no way I will chance it, they sound cheap no matter how one sets them up and EQ's them. Shipping costs of Goldwood from the USA is expensive.
I will be testing some locally bought piezos of the same type as the 1016 shortly.
Seeing that you say the piezo array can be heard from 100m clear, that's made up my mind.Lowest cab will be an array and second and top will be flat.That's if the local piezos are any good, they do work I have tested them for that.They look almost the same as Goldwood, and are inexpensive enough, less than one USD each.
Thanks