Horn box programs? Is there any that exist?

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
Jeff 33

Horn box programs? Is there any that exist?

#1 Post by Jeff 33 »

Hello everyone. :hyper: I was wondering and I know this is not a new question or asking for advise but, is there a horn modeling box program? I know there is hornresp program ( If I spelled that right)? But its not like my reg. box programs I use? I am looking for something that will get me in the ball park and then I can add or take away and stuff and so on. If not can someone please help me because I am at a lose. I am thinking here but, how did klipsch come up with his horn boxes what math or his theory on going about making his boxes. I know it was years before computers? Is there at book. I googled but, really nothing comes up? So that's it. I want to start from square one doing a small project and then working my way up the latter. Thank you so much. Jeff

Grant Bunter

Re: Horn box programs? Is there any that exist?

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Jeff 33 wrote:Hello everyone. :hyper: I was wondering and I know this is not a new question or asking for advise but, is there a horn modeling box program? I know there is hornresp program ( If I spelled that right)? But its not like my reg. box programs I use? I am looking for something that will get me in the ball park and then I can add or take away and stuff and so on. If not can someone please help me because I am at a lose. I am thinking here but, how did klipsch come up with his horn boxes what math or his theory on going about making his boxes. I know it was years before computers? Is there at book. I googled but, really nothing comes up? So that's it. I want to start from square one doing a small project and then working my way up the latter. Thank you so much. Jeff
Google is your friend, and if you type in the right search phrase you will get heaps of answers!
I typed "horn speaker modelling programs" and got pages of answers.

"Hornresp" is one (and probably the most popular), but many people say that it takes a while to learn how to use it properly.
"Speak" is another.
And so on.
Like anything, some people's views about horn theory vary immensely, so others may dismiss some results/programmes.

This paper:
http://publications.rwth-aachen.de/reco ... ichael.pdf
may take you into it all far more than you want, but starts from "the beginning", showing horns are centuries old. It's 170 pages, in English (and German).
It also mentions some of the early research/solutions (eg Websters Equation).

As far as Klipsch, read this about the man:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wilbur_Klipsch

It says that, at a young age, Paul Klipsch learnt to play trumpet. A trumpet is a classic example of folding a horn to reduce it's size.

Since this is about Klipsch though, rather than Bill's designs, you probably should have posted this thread up in "Everything Else"...

edit: lol, it got moved to "educational links"...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Jeff 33

#3 Post by Jeff 33 »

Hello Grant.

Thank you for taking the time and helping me out. It might be a long read by Am willing to learn from the beganing. Also thanks for moving my post to the right forum da. I just used klipsch as a reference nothing against bill he's a super guy. So thanks for googling I guess I still no nothing as to Google and yes it is my friend and has saved me more times then I can count. Well thanks again off to read. Jeff

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Jeff 33 wrote:Hello Grant.
Thank you for taking the time and helping me out.
No worries! Hope you get something out of it. :)
Jeff 33 wrote:Also thanks for moving my post to the right forum.
That I can't take any credit for...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...